Check your 2013 seat belts! - Page 2 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
After we had our rear ending I have been keeping and eye and ear on everything in our 13 smart. Few new rattles and then the passenger seat belt would not retract on its own. I was going to take it to mercedes but checked it out and the problem was the seat position. If i move the seat foreward or backward one click OR recline the seat back one click or foreward one it works perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's a good plan to keep your ears and eyes out unfortunately mine does not improve with any of the suggestions. I also didn't "modify" my seat because I have a bad back so the factory position works best for me. If anyone has a moment contact smart so we can possible get this addresses more seriously.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,637 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Hmmm...Mine are weak, but they've never gotten stuck before... :eek:
FWIW - The tension system still works as designed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Mercedes For This Useful Post:
em3706 (12-09-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 04:36 PM
10Year+ Supporting Member
SCOA Club

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amosd70 View Post
If i move the seat foreward or backward one click OR recline the seat back one click or foreward one it works perfect.
You should not have to move the seat for the seat belt to operate properly. The seat belt should work no matter how the seat is adjusted.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 10:16 PM
He's not mine
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,626 Times in 995 Posts
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Garage
Mine (2008) has long needed help retracting. When I remove the belt I have to give it a tug or two to get it to retract fully. And, I've worried about whether or not this might indicate a problem to surface in the event of a collision, since it apparently isn't "right".

Two of y'all have mentioned this problem might be alleviated by moving the seat forward a click. Since I always drive with the seat all of the way back, this hits home. But, I like it all the way back. Guess I'll try moving it forward a click or two to see if it does have an effect.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok all,

to update on the seat belt issue,

The 2013 and whichever other models apply have a unique guide in which the seat belt is feed back into the retracting unit/pillar. I would post pictures but am unsure how(any tips). The guide is shaped as a circle with a slot through it. this is where you would feed your seat belt or un feed your seat belt in the event to put your front passenger seat down flat. Why it is also on the drivers side, I am unsure, I suppose to keep things looking symmetrical. Anyhow, if it is feed in to the guide wrong it will become pinched and not feed back properly causing the problem originally stated in the beginning of this thread. The way to relieve this problem is to un thread or remove the seat belt from the guide and flip the seat belt webbing once and thread back into the guide. The gap in the guide should face inwards towards the center of the vehicle (think shifter or where your key goes). This should solve the problem. However of course due to the fact some may mis-interpret the above solution or in the special circumstance another problem with your seat belt should exist, this should be inspected or cleared by a mercedes or smart service center near you.

Closest to me was Fairfield Smart Center and although it took an extra look by the shop foreman a solution was found and the problem safely fixed. I hope everyone takes note to this and continues to motor safely!

Tags
loose seatbelt , seat belt not retracting , seatbelts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode