Smart Car Forums

Smart Car Forums (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/)
-   Safety (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f179/)
-   -   Exhaust Leak into Passenger Compartment? (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f179/exhaust-leak-into-passenger-compartment-46450/)

mausketeer 09-14-2012 11:04 AM

Exhaust Leak into Passenger Compartment?

Hi everyone. I bought a used, 2008 Smart Pure coupe about three weeks ago, and I'm loving it (in really nice shape, 20,000 Km), but I'm wondering if it might have an exhaust leak into the passenger compartment (been having some signs of Co2 poisoning). Of course I will have the car tested for a leak but I'm wondering if it's ever come up before? I thought because of the placement of the engine, it may be more susceptible as well.

Anyone ever come across this? I Googled it but couldn't find anything.

jefferios 09-14-2012 11:10 AM

Not that I have ever heard of. Make sure to post the results here. I'm sure many members want to see what happens to this.

JPaul 09-14-2012 11:12 AM

Also check that the engine's cover is tight. Just a thought.

mausketeer 09-14-2012 11:16 AM

Will check that first JPaul! Was showing the car to some of my relatives a few weeks back, possible it may not have been replaced properly.

mausketeer 09-16-2012 10:35 AM

So....... it was the engine cover. The two "tabs" and slots that it slides into weren't aligned (AND the pin to secure it wasn't tight). So no seal at all! Geez, breathing all that Co2 for two weeks? Not good, not good....... I'll be sure to always check the cover myself now, make sure it's on right after someone's been in there.

jwight 09-16-2012 10:39 AM

smart's version of the Darwin Award???

Glad you're still here! Those covers can be tricky - hopefully the 453 will have something a little less challenging.

JPaul 09-16-2012 11:03 AM

Glad also 'mausketeer' that you know what CO poisoning symptoms can be like, not too many people do realize what's happening before they fall asleep... :whew:

chumly 09-16-2012 02:30 PM

It's CO (carbon monoxide), not CO2 (carbon dioxide). BIG difference. One will kill you, the other can make you burp!:D

mausketeer 09-16-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chumly (Post 533927)
It's CO (carbon monoxide), not CO2 (carbon dioxide). BIG difference. One will kill you, the other can make you burp!:D

LOL! Oh yeah, duh! (was trying to sound..... Well, smart! Lol. And didn't want to type carbon monoxide too many times.....)

Well you know, with a little Smart car, even too much BURPING might be dangerous too!

:blowingup:

Miss Mercedes 09-16-2012 05:35 PM

Try closing your doors with the windows closed, these cars prefer to hold their gasses in :D