Smart Car Forums

Smart Car Forums (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/)
-   Safety (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f179/)
-   -   I got my "smacked" smart back! (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f179/i-got-my-smacked-smart-back-42230/)

janabel 12-26-2011 07:02 PM

I got my "smacked" smart back!

On Dec 23rd. A nice early christmas present. Ended up with 2 new rims and tires, tire pressure monitoring systems, axle housing and cross member. It went to insurance, so my part of the bill, which came to $4,284.29, was $500.00 It was done at Von Housen Mercedes in Sacramento. They were really nice to me, and so far, all is o.k. I sure am glad to have her back!

Brad09 12-26-2011 07:05 PM

Glad you are back on the road~!

Stretchmobile 12-26-2011 07:16 PM

Yay!

jwight 12-26-2011 07:18 PM

All that for $500 - not bad! :)

kennyrayandersen 12-26-2011 08:11 PM

41 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwight (Post 480562)
All that for $500 - not bad! :)

plus all the premiums he's paid:p

janabel 12-26-2011 09:32 PM

Yes, it will raise my premiums for the next 3 years and gives me a point on my driving record. But it will still be worth it, cause my premiums won't go up $3,700 worth.

jimvw57 12-26-2011 09:33 PM

You really can't include the premium costs as they would have been paid accident or not.

kennyrayandersen 12-26-2011 09:54 PM

41 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimvw57 (Post 480574)
You really can't include the premium costs as they would have been paid accident or not.

I'm torn. Even though it's mandatory (unless you just chose not to buy it (I think estimates are in TX that 40% of the drivers are uninsured!) it's still money out to cover if you get in an accident. I've sat down and figured out how much you save by carrying a higher deductible and if you have the cash to cover yourself, and you are a decent driver, it's usually MUCH cheaper to carry a higher deductible, so it seems that should be part of the cost equation.:wink: Anyway, glad it worked out.

jimvw57 12-27-2011 06:30 AM

Agree'd but the extra cost of a lower deductible would depend on the driver, driving conditions, car, etc.

Minnesota has a no-fault insurance system so you cover your own car only, unless there are special circumstances. Last accident I claimed (including wife and kids) was around 14 years ago. Having the high deductible has saved me a lot of money in premiums over the years.

Just good to hear OP got their car back!!

kennyrayandersen 12-27-2011 02:29 PM

41 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimvw57 (Post 480609)
Agree'd but the extra cost of a lower deductible would depend on the driver, driving conditions, car, etc.

Minnesota has a no-fault insurance system so you cover your own car only, unless there are special circumstances. Last accident I claimed (including wife and kids) was around 14 years ago. Having the high deductible has saved me a lot of money in premiums over the years.

Just good to hear OP got their car back!!

yeah, it's saved me a bundle as well -- mostly I REALLY started saving money as the kids dropped of the policy -- that's the only time the lower deductible might actually come through!:wink: