post #21 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 03:30 AM

Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,008 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pee-wee German View Post
The one common denominator for just about every aggressive driver I've encountered with my car these last 4.8 years:
full size FORD pickups.
Why always FORD pickups?
Good question! Note: Kenny has a Chevy pickup!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 06:11 AM
HGB
SCOA Club

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Two things I'd like to mention,
the speedometer on all smart cars is 1/1/2 -2 miles optimistic. This means when you are about 2 miles above the limit, you're just about at the limit. The average person just likes to travel a bit above the limit (at least I do) and this can cause anger or resentment by larger cars when a little pipsqueak of a car is holding it back.
Smart failed here with such a stupid decision to have inaccurate speedometers.
The other point I have... and it works for me, is most of the time is just slow down a bit like 5 mph less than the limit and through an open window motion the tailgater on...as if you had a problem. It does help...most of the time.

Last edited by HGB; 12-17-2012 at 03:26 PM.
post #23 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 06:44 AM

Thanked 2,936 Times in 1,561 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch View Post
In the case of the OP. That's what your cell phone is for. Call 911 and give them the tag# and report them as a drunk/agressive/dangerous driver and give them the location. In this area they take that seriously.

Making a show of taking pics or vid with a cell camera usually gets them running as well.
Car DVR's are readily available for less than $100 with front and rear facing cameras, continuous loop recording, 1080 dpi, G sensor, GPS (some with Google maps) and small screen to review on scene. I am getting one for both of our cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
CP. Speed up... Become "The Leader Of The Pack." Get it on, if you've got the paddles in your car, keep that TACH bouncing around red line.

Never ever stay in that right lane on the freeway. Too dangerous for Any driver, let alone one in a tiny under powered Smart.

Be a leader, don't let those bully's*kick road tar in your in your face.

Charles Atlas was RIGHT !!!. A2Jack.
The Following User Says Thank You to a2jack For This Useful Post:
Miss Mercedes (12-17-2012)
post #25 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Squatch is right, get on your cell and report a possible impaired/aggressive driver. I have done that. Yes, i sometimes get "picked on" when i drive my smart. My wife told me that she very rarely gets tailgated now that she put an NRA sticker on the back of her smart.
If it is just crappy driving, tailgating and such, i just laugh at them. Sometimes i will blow them a kiss, that really catches them off guard.
I had one scary incident where a pickup stopped in front of me and got out of his truck. Otherwise, no big problems.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blackbelt For This Useful Post:
ColonelPan1c (12-17-2012), HGB (12-17-2012), Jim G (12-29-2012)
post #26 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 08:15 AM

Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,519 Posts
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhidekid View Post
I get a lot of people that don't like to be passed by a small car. They either speed up to stop me from passing, or after I have passed them they speed around me at the first opportunity.
post #27 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2jack View Post
CP. Speed up... Become "The Leader Of The Pack." Get it on, if you've got the paddles in your car, keep that TACH bouncing around red line.

Never ever stay in that right lane on the freeway. Too dangerous for Any driver, let alone one in a tiny under powered Smart.

How is the right lane unsafe? Isn't the left for passing, and the right/center (depending on 3 or 2 lane road) for travel? Also I bought my car for economy. Not to smash the pedal into the floor and blow my motor up running it at redline.

I like the DVR idea, but I think that's a bit much. If this continues to be a real problem , it looks like I've found a few for under $50 that seem half decent. If it happens again, I'm definitely taking the recommendation of calling the police. Do you generally call 911 or call the local non-emergency number?

Thanks everyone!
post #28 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 08:43 AM
He's not mine
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,626 Times in 995 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2jack View Post

I get tailgated. I am definitely NOT a slow poke. Not to mention the fact that you can't drive faster than the car in front of you. That's when you see a pack of cars looking like NASCAR drafting at 45-50 MPH. A deadly serious situation. But, to blame the victim is not constructive.
post #29 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I remember reading a comment from a guy where a lot of people were bashing the smart, the original picture or article doesn't matter - anytime you post anything about a smart anywhere but this forum, you will see a string of immature people chiming in and showing how much they DON'T know. Anyway, I digress. One comment in particular caught my attention, a guy said something like, every time I see one of these cars going fast on the highway, it just pi$$e$ me off. And for whatever reason, it really does seem to have that affect on a FEW people; they just can't believe this tiny car is in FRONT of them, and must get around us. There's nothing to be done about it, I try hard not to get worked up about it. That's all anyone can do, unless you truly feel like fighting or starting a road rage incident, which we all know is dumb, even when we're doing it ourselves.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toolman For This Useful Post:
HGB (12-17-2012)
post #30 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGB View Post
Two things I'd like to mention,
the speedometer on all smart cars is 1/1/2 -2 miles optomistic. This means when you are about 2 miles above the limit, you're just about at the limit. The average person just likes to travel a bit above the limit (at least I do) and this can cause anger or resentment by larger cars when a little pipsqueak of a car is holding it back.
Smart failed here with such a stupid decision to have inaccurate speedometers.
The other point I have... and it works for me, is most of the time is just slow down a bit like 5 mph less than the limit and through an open window motion the tailgater on...as if you had a problem. It does help...most of the time.
I have not seen this claim made any time before this post. Time for some GPS confirmation, I'll find out for myself. Interesting...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode