Smart Car Forums

Smart Car Forums (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/)
-   Safety (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f179/)
-   -   smart (not ED!), charger apparent cause of FL house fire (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f179/smart-not-ed-charger-apparent-cause-fl-house-fire-46792/)

rfernatt 10-10-2012 09:37 AM

smart (not ED!), charger apparent cause of FL house fire
 
It will be interesting to see what the investigation reveals. I'm thinking it's likely improper installation by the husband, but who knows at this point.

Smart car battery charger causes Florida house fire, says officials

chieftmc 10-10-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfernatt (Post 538093)
It will be interesting to see what the investigation reveals. I'm thinking it's likely improper installation by the husband, but who knows at this point.

Smart car battery charger causes Florida house fire, says officials

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m.../smilies/1.gif

MB DNA 10-10-2012 09:50 AM

90 Attachment(s)
Charger delivered by FedEx and owner installed? :eek:

Not the kind of FREE advertising that smart ED needs . . .

"WBBH reports the homeowner as saying the fire was possibly started by a data recharger delivered through FedEx which was plugged into the car."

Stretchmobile 10-10-2012 09:57 AM

Did Super Matty P get his electric smart and burn his house down?

ClearwaterZiggy 10-10-2012 10:42 AM

Ummmm... being that the charger is 220V, I'm assuming that it would need to be hard-wired to the house's electrical panel, requiring a permit and county inspection, right?

vwW12 10-10-2012 11:36 AM

But if the charger is 220v and he already had a 220v outlet, for the washer and dryer, for instance, why should he apply for a city permit?

Should people start applying for a city permit to take a shower, because there is a risk they may slip?

;-p

How does getting a permit even have anything to do with safety, BTW?

ClearwaterZiggy 10-10-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vwW12 (Post 538117)
But if the charger is 220v and he already had a 220v outlet, for the washer and dryer, for instance, why should he apply for a city permit?

Should people start applying for a city permit to take a shower, because there is a risk they may slip?

;-p

How does getting a permit even have anything to do with safety, BTW?

Wow... seriously??? Running a 220 line from a breaker box is a little bit more involved than "plugging in a washer and dryer". Do you know what wire type and gauge to use? Do you know what type of armor the cabling requires when mounted exposed in a garage? Do you know the capacity of your electrical box and whether it can handle the added amperage of a 220V charger?

Getting a permit ensures that you do the work properly, that it's inspected by someone who knows how the work should be done. If you want to electrocute yourself and burn your own house down, that's fine... but if the fire spreads to mine, I won't be happy.

Uptown Dog Co 10-10-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClearwaterZiggy (Post 538142)
Wow... seriously??? Running a 220 line from a breaker box is a little bit more involved than "plugging in a washer and dryer". Do you know what wire type and gauge to use? Do you know what type of armor the cabling requires when mounted exposed in a garage? Do you know the capacity of your electrical box and whether it can handle the added amperage of a 220V charger?

Getting a permit ensures that you do the work properly, that it's inspected by someone who knows how the work should be done. If you want to electrocute yourself and burn your own house down, that's fine... but if the fire spreads to mine, I won't be happy.

If you use a licensed electrician to install one, 220 outlet I doubt there's any jurisdiction that would require a permit and inspection. Of course I've been wrong before......ask my ex-wife.

Miss Mercedes 10-10-2012 06:01 PM

Ah the media...it couldn't have been "Electric car battery charger..." it HAD to be "Smart car battery charger..."

That said, this isn't the first case of chargers setting homes on fire. In fact Tesla, Nissan, and even Fisker have some fire cases. And since the final phase "smart EV"s aren't here yet, it seems the culprit is a current gen ED.

ClearwaterZiggy 10-10-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uptown Dog Co (Post 538150)
If you use a licensed electrician to install one, 220 outlet I doubt there's any jurisdiction that would require a permit and inspection. Of course I've been wrong before......ask my ex-wife.

LoL... I've been wrong before too... ask my 3 ex wives.

But you're probably right, if you use a licensed contractor you most likely can avoid the permitting and inspection. ("Licensed" being the key word.) I was referring to the homeowner installation. There is nothing to indicate that he is licensed.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Clubs, Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome