Smart Car of America Forum banner

Mysterious Tire Blowout on a New smart

7K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  jefferios 
#1 · (Edited)
This Reddit user experienced a rather horrifying experience when their brand new smart's tire exploded on the expressway.

I was driving on the expressway, all of a sudden the car started jerking right. I was very close to losing control of the vehicle.

I got it under control and saw my tire about 10 feet from the car. I spent about 15 minutes just sitting on the expressway until I was taken off. Shoulders were closed because of construction.

I call to find out where the spare is, and I am told there is no spare in this car so now it is to be towed. I spent from 5:15 to 7:53 waiting for the road assistance tow truck.

Car was towed to dealership. It has 50 miles on it. I am livid. Clearly this car was not properly checked before it was sold to me, or the tires are just very poor quality.

Thankfully nothing happened to me, but this could have very quickly turned into a terrible accident.

Tomorrow I'm going to the dealership, but I'm not sure what I need to demand from them. Or even what my rights are. I do not want to be taken advantage of.

Thank you for your help.
Leased a Smart Car yesterday (first car) , today the tire blew out on the expressway. Need advice. Story below. : cars

#5 ·
Pre or post delivery inspection will not find the tire that is missing from this new car deal. :rolleyes:

Murphy Rules and STUFF HAPPENS even to brand new cars with no spare . . .

Per AAA, vehicles without a spare tire

Acura FCX Clarity : Inflator and sealant kit
Aston Martin – All models have an inflator and sealant kit
Audi
A5 (2008–2011): Runflats
A6 (2009–2011): Runflats
A7 (2011): Runflats
Q5 (2009–2011): Spare tire stored w/out air. Inflator is provided
Q7 (2007–2011): Spare tire optional, inflator kit provided when not equipped with a spare
S4 (2006–2011): Spare tire optional , inflator kit provided when not equipped with a spare
S5 (2008–2011): Runflats
TT (2008–2011): No spare. Inflator and sealant kit
BMW – All vehicles are equipped with Runflats, except:
1M : Inflator and sealant kit
M3: Inflator and sealant kit
X5 (2007–2011): Spare tire optional Runflats are installed when not equipped with a spare
X6 (2009–2011): Spare tire optional, Runflats are installed when not equipped with a spare
Cadillac
CTS (2008–2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
SRX (2010–2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
STS (2005–2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
XLR (2004–2009): Runflats
Chevrolet
Camaro (2010–2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit
provided when not equipped with a spare
Corvette (2005–2011): Runflats
Cruze (2011):Inflator and sealant kit
Equinox (2010–2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit
Volt (2011): Inflator and sealant kit
Chrysler:
All SRT models with 20 inch wheels are not equipped with a spare
Dodge Viper (1998–2010): Inflator and sealant kit
Ford
Explorer (2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit
Focus (2008–2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit
GT (2005–2006): Inflator and sealant kit
Mustang (2011): Inflator and sealant kit (except GT Base, which has a spare)
GMC
Vehicles without a spare tire
GM Terrain (2010–2011) Inflator and sealant kit
Honda
Odyssey Touring (2005–2010): Runflats
Hyundai
Accent (2011–2012): Inflator and sealant kit
Elantra (2011–2012): Inflator and sealant kit
Sonata Hybrid (2011): Inflator and sealant kit
Veloster (2012): Inflator and sealant kit
Jaguar XF (2009–2011): Spare tire optional, Runflats or inflation kit provided when not equipped with a spare
XK (2007–2011): Spare tire optional, Runflats or inflation kit provided when not equipped with a spare
Lexus
LF-A (2011): Inflator and sealant kit
SC series (2003–2010): Spare tire optional, Runflats provided when not equipped with a spare
Lotus
All models equipped with inflator and sealant kit
Mazda
MX5 (2006–2011): Inflator and sealant kit
Mercedes
R350 BlueTEC (2011): Runflats
GL350 BlueTEC (2011): Runflats
E350 BlueTEC (2011): Runflats
SLS AMG (2011): Inflator and sealant kit
SLR McLaren (2005–2009): Inflator and sealant kit
Mini (all models) – Spare tire optional,Runflats or inflator and sealant kit
Nissan
370z (2009–2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
GT-R (2009–2011): Runflats
Pontiac
Solstace (2007–2009): Tire inflation kit
Porsche
Boxster(2005–2011): Inflator and sealant kit
Carrera GT(2004–2008): Inflator and sealant kit
Cayman (2005–2011): Inflator and sealant kit
Panamera (2010–2011): Inflator and sealant kit
Saturn
Saturn Sky (2007–2009): Inflator and sealant kit
Scion iQ (2011): Inflator and sealant kit
Smart
Fortwo (2005–2011): Inflator and sealant kit
Toyota
Sienna XLE (2004–2011): Runflats
Volkswagen
Touareg Hybrid (2011): Inflator and sealant kit
Volvo
C30 (2008–2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
C70 (1998–2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
S60 (2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
XC60 (2010–2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare
XC70 (2008–2011): Spare tire optional, inflator and sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare

Hardly a new trend . . . :wink:

#7 ·
"They admitted fault. Apparently the technician that checked the car out before it was handed to me did not put air in the tires." :confused:

A smart Center admitting to not putting air in the tires which has resulted in yet another round of www.badsmartblog* but fortunately no harm to the new owner.

What about the TPS warning? Strange, very strange . . .

*Yes, the linky does not work as it is is an original creation.

#11 ·
If this was in the United States the car would have had a TPMS light illuminated the entire time. Especially a brand new car purchased a day prior.

The light is there for a reason, it's to give ample warning to low air pressure in a tire. Low air pressure in a tire leads to increased tire friction which causes increased heat which if not kept in check can exceed the capability of the tire. And as such, the tire fails and blows out and the owner chases after his spare tire (and far too often blames the tire manufacturer, the car, the salesman, the dealership, the last oil change guy, the car wash armor all dude, anybody who doesn't own the car, etc).

The spare tire is virtually useless if one heeds the warnings of the TPMS and checks the tire pressure and makes the recommended adjustments immediately without delaying and making excuses.

I do feel sorry for the owner, it does not excuse the dealership forgetting to inflate the tires to the necessary pressure. But hopefully the owner will learn a lesson that tire pressure is crucial to the safety in any motor vehicle. This is why the smart car has had the TPMS for a long time now, and why it's now Federal Law for all cars manufactured after 2012 to have them included as standard equipment.

#12 ·
The spare tire is virtually useless if one heeds the warnings of the TPMS and checks the tire pressure and makes the recommended adjustments immediately without delaying and making excuses.
I only quoted what I wish to respond to.

I too appreciate the value of the TPMS. And, although I once did, I no longer carry a spare. But, the TPMS is no protection against catastrophic tire damage ... such as hitting a monster pothole. Instant flat. Happened to me. A tire damaged in such a manner isn't going to be revived with Goop and Pump. You're stuck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.