User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 07:13 PM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
If this was in the United States the car would have had a TPMS light illuminated the entire time. Especially a brand new car purchased a day prior.

The light is there for a reason, it's to give ample warning to low air pressure in a tire. Low air pressure in a tire leads to increased tire friction which causes increased heat which if not kept in check can exceed the capability of the tire. And as such, the tire fails and blows out and the owner chases after his spare tire (and far too often blames the tire manufacturer, the car, the salesman, the dealership, the last oil change guy, the car wash armor all dude, anybody who doesn't own the car, etc).

The spare tire is virtually useless if one heeds the warnings of the TPMS and checks the tire pressure and makes the recommended adjustments immediately without delaying and making excuses.

I do feel sorry for the owner, it does not excuse the dealership forgetting to inflate the tires to the necessary pressure. But hopefully the owner will learn a lesson that tire pressure is crucial to the safety in any motor vehicle. This is why the smart car has had the TPMS for a long time now, and why it's now Federal Law for all cars manufactured after 2012 to have them included as standard equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 07:20 PM
He's not mine
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,626 Times in 995 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_smart_LA View Post
The spare tire is virtually useless if one heeds the warnings of the TPMS and checks the tire pressure and makes the recommended adjustments immediately without delaying and making excuses.
I only quoted what I wish to respond to.

I too appreciate the value of the TPMS. And, although I once did, I no longer carry a spare. But, the TPMS is no protection against catastrophic tire damage ... such as hitting a monster pothole. Instant flat. Happened to me. A tire damaged in such a manner isn't going to be revived with Goop and Pump. You're stuck.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCC1701 For This Useful Post:
wahi (11-15-2013)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 07:23 PM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC1701 View Post
I only quoted what I wish to respond to.

I too appreciate the value of the TPMS. And, although I once did, I no longer carry a spare. But, the TPMS is no protection against catastrophic tire damage ... such as hitting a monster pothole. Instant flat. Happened to me. A tire damaged in such a manner isn't going to be revived with Goop and Pump. You're stuck.
I agree with that. But the likelihood of that 'luck' happening is probably once every 10 years or so, especially if you are replacing your tires before they are on the verge of death anyway...

But then again, the owner of that car could have hit a nail too. Might have occurred 5 feet outside of the driveway too and the dealership could have 'accepted' responsibility just to keep a happy customer. If it's a $100 tire replacement it's much easier to shake hands over it and keep a happy customer rather than years of badmouthing and negative feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,648 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I agree with that. But the likelihood of that 'luck' happening is probably once every 10 years or so, especially if you are replacing your tires before they are on the verge of death anyway...
I don't think you've ever been to Chicago before.

If bullets don't shoot them out, the potholes will blow them out!

Quote:
If this was in the United States the car would have had a TPMS light illuminated the entire time. Especially a brand new car purchased a day prior.
True, however you can set the TPMS with the tyres at any inflation level. So you can have flat tyres and no light.

My best guess is that the TPMS was set by the dealer with the tyre flat like that.

Judging from the topics of the Reddit threads the owner responds to and the way they write, I guess they're definitely from here.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
When I replaced a TPMS with a regular valve the light didn't turn on for 3 days.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode