453 rollover in Utah - Page 2 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Yea... pretty much no doubt that he nailed something along the side of the road mid-slide which caused it to roll. Chances are, he somehow managed to hit that same center median that the car came to rest on at speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekns74 View Post
I really want to know if it rolled after leaving the pavement or before. My 451 is so low and fat that I don't thing the later is possible anymore. In the case of a 453, I wouldn't doubt the combination of more weight, short wheelbase, and greater steering angle could cause a SUV style rollover in a turn. Get those lowering springs and wheel spacers on, friends!!!!
Yea.... no. The main differences between the 453 and 451 are that the 453 weighs more (which with how little material actually makes up the roof of a car, there's a good bet that the majority of the extra weight is in the lower half of the car... potentially even around the engine area), and that the 453 is a bit wider than the 451. Yes, the steering angle is a bit sharper, but as already said, if you're going fast enough, that'd only matter up to a point, before the front tires no longer have traction and are just sliding. The wider wheelbase would only make it LESS likely to roll over than the 451 was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 07:49 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,928 Times in 896 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
There is no chance this car rolled without being "tripped" by something, e.g. sliding sideways into a kerb, or going off-road. The center of gravity of a 453 shouldn't be appreciably higher than that of a 451; the only meaningful thing that I can think of which is sitting up higher is the battery and that's peanuts compared to everything else - and it's a wider car.

The greater steering angle isn't a factor. If you're going fast enough to have enough kinetic energy to roll the car, the front wheels won't have to turn much to achieve maximum lateral acceleration. If you crank the wheels to the steering limit, they're just going to slide sideways.

Many moons ago, 17-year-old yours truly survived sliding sideways on dry pavement down a hill in a first-generation Honda Civic thanks to some vicious lift-throttle oversteer and too much rear brake bias. Nothing happened. The car slid to a stop in a cloud of tire smoke. And the smart is a whole lot more stable than that car was. No ABS or stability program or anything of the sort on that car. The only thing electronic in the whole car was the radio ...

Sliding off the edge of the pavement into a ditch, or going sideways into an obstruction, can "trip" a car into rolling when there would otherwise be no chance of it.
I agree 100%. Which is why I stand by my previous post in this thread...

My guess is the driver was doing something really stupid with the car he shouldn't have been... All the electro-nannies in the world can't fix stupid...
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteNBlack08 For This Useful Post:
Smart Bob (03-02-2016)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Also seems to beg the question "how bright are the buyers?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1208 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Roth View Post
Also seems to beg the question "how bright are the buyers?"

About as bright as us forum members?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 05:10 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,928 Times in 896 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
In some cases, yes... (present company excluded)

A good example is the gal that posted about totalling her new 453. She rear ended a truck at 40 mph, yet stated she had no idea how it happened!!! Really?? Does she have some condition where she blacks out momentarily without warning? If so she shouldn't be driving. I stayed out of that thread so I didn't insult somebody...

I have been driving for close to 30 years, and have been involved in a total of 5 accidents, 3 of which involved animals. Only two were vehicle to vehicle. One was my fault, I bumped a guy in the rear on a very busy street. He stopped suddenly, and I wasn't paying close enough attention and bumped him. No damage, no police called, I appologized, and we went on our way. The other one, I was rear ended when a guy tried to cut over to another lane and avoid stopping. I saw that one coming. The guy tagged me then drove off!!! I won't bore you with the details of the three animal encounters... The point being, I knew EXACTLY what happened with each and every one. May not have been avoidable(that IS why they call them accidents), but I still knew why they happened....

I have stated this many times on here and other forums: driving is a privilege, not a right, and there are a lot of folks who should have that privilege taken away... If getting a drivers license was like getting a pilots license, I think we would cut accindent by about 75%...

Just in the last week, I been expose to countles bonehead, stupid moves made by drivers that could have easily caused a accident or killed somebody... My tolerance for idiots is getting lower the older I get...
Smart Bob and Huronlad like this.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
We are all special

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode