Smart Car of America Forum banner

Rear ended

8K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  jwight 
#1 ·
My2008 passion with 60000 miles was rear ended today by a nissan quest which was rear ended by a Ford F350. Hope it isn't totaled doesn't look bad but you never know, it paid for.

I didn't have it towed to a Mercedes dealer and hope this wasn't a mistake.

#2 ·
Mine got rear-ended by a Lumina sliding to a stop from 70 while I was parked at a stoplight. Damage was fairly minimal. (They estimated she was doing around 50 when she hit me.)

Lower valance, new muffler, muffler support brackets, and they replaced the Engine mount just in case. (Wasn't any visible damage, but they always went the extra mile for us customers.) I had the rear door replaced as well because of another issue with it and IIRC, the total repair bill wasn't much over 2 grand.

#4 ·
If it were me, i would have towed it to a Mercedes/ Smart dealer as many body shops do not know what they are doing when they do work on a Smart and often miss things that needed to be done. I know the one where i am, and also got my car is also a collision repair place for the Smart.

#5 ·
Whatever you do, don't bump a curb with the front air dam. $2000 damage and I did not know it till I got home and saw the radiator leaking. Design defect. Broken plastic parts poked holes in the AC Condenser and radiator. This should not happen. The Dealer does not know how to repair plastic parts :-(
I still love my For2

#9 ·
I would STRONGLY suggest that you have your smart checked out by a smart center.

I have had several customers that were in "mild" fender benders and had their smarts fixed at "Bob's we work on all cars" place.
AFTER their insurance pays the yahoo that "fixed" it, they come to us with issues in their lights, electrics, CELs, etc?

So, my suggestion is get it fixed at a place that has fixed other smarts (smart center) even if you have to have it flat-bedded a couple of hours? Insurance is going to pay anyway?

#16 ·
I need to learn how to post photos. I can attach them to emails but not yet to this program. Can you send me your email? Can you give me a simple click by click explanation? Yes I used both tow eye bolt holes and bolts to mount the rear bumper. Also had to cut the bumper in 1/2 as it was not wide enough. Turned the bolts sideways, bolted thru the eye to a steel 1 1/2 angle then bolted the bumper (thru its existing mounting holes) to the angle.
The front I just bolted it (with a tube like spacer) to the tow hitch.
superchief87@roadrunner.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.