"Train Collides with smart car in Anaheim" - Page 3 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
On the You Tube video, the train looked like it was keeping pace with traffic - so probably about 35 mph - not a fast train. The still photos show a crossing arm down and lights. I couldn't see the arm or the lights on the video, but having worked in maintenance of way on a railroad, the train should have triggered the crossing safety features so that the arm should have been down or descending and the lights working. If she drove around the crossing arm, she violated a traffic law. If the lights were going and the arm hadn't fully descended, she was also probably guilty of a traffic violation but she was certainly not making a very intelligent move. A direct hit vs. the glancing blow the car received likely wouldn't have had anywhere near the same outcome. Whenever we worked near a crossing I saw cars rushing to beat trains. I guess they think they're a movie hero and invulnerable.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PerryA For This Useful Post:
a2jack (01-30-2014), chumly (01-30-2014), jwight (01-30-2014), Miss Mercedes (01-29-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 09:26 PM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,648 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
You can't preach that enough.

Last week someone in my town decided to try to beat a commuter train around the gates. The train planted a direct hit on the passenger compartment at 60mph. It wasn't a good ending...

P.S. Although the video quality is rubbish, I see what resembles the crossing gate arm in the video.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Mercedes For This Useful Post:
chumly (01-30-2014)
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
One thing I can't make out in that video is whether there is any signal to the parallel traffic, such as a "strict" right turn arrow that would go red when there is a train. At this crossing, such a feature should exist to keep traffic from even attempting to turn.

We have a similar crossing here, but the setback from the road is long enough that drivers have a chance of seeing the gates down. This crossing also wreaks havoc on PM rush hour traffic because the intersection isn't configured to keep as much traffic as possible moving on the intersection side... There are two lanes, both can go straight through, the left one often has cars turning left and the right one backs up for quite a distance with through and right-turning traffic.

https://www.google.com/maps/preview/.../data=!3m1!1e3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
That crossing is way too close the the roadway. There should not be a crossing there if there isn't room to set it back a proper distance from the road. I don't know what the regulations there are, but I;m pretty sure there is a required distance everywhere. Somehow I doubt it's 10 feet.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Just after I saw this thread we had an incident nearby where a guy in a pickup was hit by a train - he was the fourth one to go around the crossing arms and they said 4 inches further to the front and he'd have been killed. He only had minor injuries - a couple of cuts and bruises. The cop who responded to the accident went to the hospital and, in addition to completing his investigation, he cited the driver. The news media played up his brush with death and an earlier incident where he was shot when delivering pizzas. They seemed to be surprised he was cited.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 11:05 AM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,648 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekns74 View Post
That crossing is way too close the the roadway. There should not be a crossing there if there isn't room to set it back a proper distance from the road. I don't know what the regulations there are, but I;m pretty sure there is a required distance everywhere. Somehow I doubt it's 10 feet.
I take it you haven't seen "Street Running".

- Trains and cars run in close parallel. In many street running setups, there isn't even a barrier (let alone a crossing gate) with the train dividing the street into halves.

Here in IL, it's a little common to see an extremely short distance between road and track...sometimes without gates and just light!
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 12:17 PM
aka 'smart-1'

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonspinnazz View Post
I take it you haven't seen "Street Running".

- Trains and cars run in close parallel. In many street running setups, there isn't even a barrier (let alone a crossing gate) with the train dividing the street into halves.

Here in IL, it's a little common to see an extremely short distance between road and track...sometimes without gates and just light!
That's in Oakland, Ca, near Jack London Square...

40+ trains a day, a great place to watch.
Miss Mercedes likes this.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage
I know, I must be a horrible person, but when I read this today on the local news site, I had to laugh at it.

SUV driver flees after slamming into side of train in northeast Houston | abc13.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoraAnderson For This Useful Post:
jwight (02-02-2014), Miss Mercedes (02-02-2014)
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 10:05 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,810 Times in 3,522 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
What can you say....
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I'd say outstanding warrants was the reason he driver fled.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode