post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
MBUSA new smart position appointments

July 11, 2011 - MONTVALE, NJ
Mercedes-Benz USA (MBUSA) today announced appointments within a dedicated team that will be responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of smart products in the United States. MBUSA took over responsibility for sales of the two-seater coupes and cabriolets from the Penske organization on July 1, 2011.
Heading up the smart team as general manager will be Tracey Matura. Matura is responsible for the brand's distribution, sales and marketing activities, reporting to Michael Slagter, vice president of sales for MBUSA. She has worked for MBUSA for 16 years, predominantly in the legal and retail areas, most recently as general manager of strategic retail development where she was responsible for the MBUSA dealer network. She was ranked one of the "100 Leading Women in the North American Auto Industry" by Automotive News this year.
Matura and her team will be part of a new subsidiary of MBUSA called Daimler Vehicle Innovations, LLC. Positions reporting directly to Matura include:
  • Julia Knittel as manager, smart marketing and brand management. Knittel, who has worked for MBUSA since 2002 in such areas as learning & performance and consumer events & sports marketing, was also communications manager for the smart brand when MBUSA originally introduced the brand to the U.S. in 2004. In her new post, Knittel will be responsible for developing and implementing strategic communication platforms for smart products and the brand in the U.S. including traditional marketing, experiential marketing, partnerships, social and digital media.
  • Sean Lyons as manager, smart sales and aftersales. Lyons comes to smart from Lexus where he held management positions for 11 years in regional sales operations, preowned and marketing, and most recently, vehicle field sales. As part of the smart team, Lyons will be responsible for managing sales and aftersales activities including overseeing a team of six field operations managers.
  • Deirdre O'Grady as smart dealer network lead. O'Grady brings to her new position, nine years of retail experience at Infiniti in such positions as regional market manager, and dealer parts & service manager. She also worked in sales operations, market representation, marketing and consumer affairs. On the smart team, O'Grady will be responsible for the strategic development and support of the smart franchise network which currently consists of 75 dealerships across the United States.
The distinctive smart product line consists of four models in the U.S.: the gasoline-powered smart fortwo in coupe (in "pure" or "passion" configuration) and cabriolet bodystyles as well as an all-electric version of the smart fortwo coupe. Over 47,000 smarts have been sold in the U.S. to date.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to fannum For This Useful Post:
Brad09 (07-11-2011), gstreetcomic (07-11-2011), jwight (07-11-2011), kwagar (07-12-2011), larryw4csc (07-11-2011), macbook58 (07-12-2011), MochaCaliGirl (07-11-2011), teapots (07-11-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Wow... Lots of girls for a very girlie car. How did Ole' Lyons slip in there.

Remember, the Miata was considered a girlie car too. We also had one of those. A2Jack
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 08:55 AM
To the XCAPEPOD!
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,762 Times in 868 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2jack View Post
Remember, the Miata was considered a girlie car too. We also had one of those. A2Jack
Makes me think of Mia and Tia from Cars...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2jack View Post
Wow... Lots of girls for a very girlie car.
Don't know about you Jack, but my masculinity is not challenged. I sit taller on my wallet as I pass all those gas stations, and park up front in crowded lots.

Cheers, Bob in KC
(then again, I have no problem ordering quiche' either)
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's a good move. Having a women-oriented management team may provide crucial perspectives that were missing before with Penske and allow marketing decisions that would not have otherwise come. It can't hurt.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smart Enuf For This Useful Post:
NCC1701 (07-11-2011)
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I'd feel better if someone at the top knew the difference between the clutch actuator and the window winder and could identify any part of the car I handed him, instantly, knowing how to install it back in the transmission without a training program...and has had a little grease in his hands that didn't come from a boutique.

Couldn't we have just one person near the top who knows the engine is in the back and drives the rear wheels? Maybe such a person could be convinced diesel engines aren't just for garbage trucks and ships.

Hello Kittie?
The Following User Says Thank You to larryw4csc For This Useful Post:
Gnarles2 (07-12-2011)
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 11:50 AM

Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,519 Posts
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryw4csc View Post
I'd feel better if someone at the top knew the difference between the clutch actuator and the window winder and could identify any part of the car I handed him, instantly, knowing how to install it back in the transmission without a training program...and has had a little grease in his hands that didn't come from a boutique.

Couldn't we have just one person near the top who knows the engine is in the back and drives the rear wheels? Maybe such a person could be convinced diesel engines aren't just for garbage trucks and ships.

Hello Kittie?
Have to agree with you on this one Larry

The Following User Says Thank You to chieftmc For This Useful Post:
Gnarles2 (07-12-2011)
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 12:46 PM
He's not mine
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,626 Times in 995 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Roger Penske, perhaps?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NCC1701 For This Useful Post:
a2jack (07-12-2011), forestacademy (07-11-2011), jefferios (07-12-2011), MochaCaliGirl (07-11-2011)
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 01:04 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,928 Times in 896 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Hello Kittie?

I'd like for you to name me one large, international company that this is true for? I can promise you none of the top GM, Ford, or Chrysler execs ever get their hands dirty. Neither does Dieter Zietch(sp?). Heck, most of them couldn't tell you where the dipstick is on their own car.

The last exec that I knew of that was a car guy was Bob Lutz, and you know what happened to him....

They hire these people for their business savy, not their automobile knowledge.

Just to note: I'm not disagreeing with you, just the reality is, it's not going to happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteNBlack08 For This Useful Post:
gstreetcomic (07-11-2011)
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Now which of those folks do we bug about filling some of those service Gaps in the country.

I don't give a rats A$$ about sales if follow up service is not available

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode