With more dealers closing and MB taking control what does that mean for you? - Page 7 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 07:32 AM

Thanked 1,232 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
$85.00 for a oil change? That's still really high price. I can get a oil change, and tire rotation for $54.00 on my Honda's. MB's hourly rates I guess. Why can't MB give out oil change specials, like Ford, Honda, and other car dealerships?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 08:27 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,811 Times in 3,523 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Should come as no surprise if a smart center was associated with a Mercedes dealer previously. The techs all get paid the same rate and the dealer charges the same hourly rate; not saying it's a low rate but it reflects standard M-B practice. Check out benzworld.org or mbca.org and you'll find plenty of posts concerning M-B pricing.
post #63 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by levindb View Post
Just had our 10K service at the new MB place in Cincinnati. $85 for just the oil change, but the whole 10K service was $145. Not sure we needed the $40 cabin filter...I will opt out of that for the next service. )
Recently, I had my 10K service done as well, and, like you, questioned the necessity of changing the cabin filter. I yielded but asked to see the old filter for future reference. I'm glad I did. It was dirty with leave fragments and pine needles sucked in over the past 3 years. I'm now convinced; I think 10K is a reasonable time to change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 08:50 AM

Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,519 Posts
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smark View Post
...Why can't MB give out oil change specials, like Ford, Honda, and other car dealerships?
They CAN, they choose NOT to

post #65 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKADY View Post
The thing that originally sealed the deal for me was that the dealership (Devon Smart, associated with Devon MB) was less than 4 miles. When it closed, those of us in eastern PA were in service limbo until Trevose Smart (an hour away) opened. It is part of a large auto dealership, but I do not think they have are MB dealership. They have given me great service, but because of their location, I have to drop it off on Saturday and pick it up the next Saturday.

I have gotten conflicting reports from Trevose Smart sales and service personnel on whether they will be closing or not.

I have had my Smart for almost 2 years, and love it. I wish I knew where my "local" dealership will be. Distance has gon from +3 miles to +35 miles to ? miles.

MB need to establish a reliable dealership network and start to advertise the virtues of this car to find the market beyond the fanatics that already have this fantastic car.
My guess is that MB will wait until after the fallout from the transition has settled then reevaluate the void left behind, because in some markets the void will be so big that after local MB dealers excercise their right of first refusal MB will have no choice but to entertain non-MB franchises for the smart.

If this is the plan then there would be considerable lag time (months) for these new smart franchises to be announced - not to mention open for business.

Last edited by ManchVegas; 07-26-2011 at 08:56 AM. Reason: forgot to quote
post #66 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by levindb View Post
My wife brought the car in and she said she was not treated as a lower life form while at the MB place.
I can report the same. Service was good, but expensive. Here's how I reported it elsewhere in the forum:
Now, here I show up at the Mercedes-Benz + smart dealer this morning for my 3rd year maintenance and the lady is dangling before me a flyer for $360 plus tax and wants to go with me thru each "point." They've got the prices for each maintenance all nice and printed out, just so you know there is no bargaining room.

So I get out my contract and of course she's never seen it but she immediately stops her "sales pitch" (I should have let her finish....) and advises me she'll find out. Which of course she ended up doing because I called the contract's 1-800 the day before to make sure this smart Center takes it.

Now she was of course no longer interested in explaining me the whys and wherefores of her $360 little job. But get a load of this from the invoice:

labor 130
spark plug labor 59
spark plugs 59
filter 16
seal 3
windshield washer fluid 3
oil 28
filter 50
------------
= 347.92

But guess what? There are not one, but two discounts!

VIP to offset maint cost = -87.96
VIP VIP discount = - 87.96

Net total: $172

Of which of course I paid nothing, other than a $16.13 "shop supplies" they sneaked on me. Whatever. Service was very good and at Mercedes-Benz level, so they can keep their sixteen bucks.

Point is, you, me, if we all walk in, we get $360 plus tax plus the $16 bucks.

If it is Automotive Warranty Services, Inc., doing business as smart Pre-Paid Maintenance Plan, they pay $172

Last edited by vwW12; 07-26-2011 at 07:46 PM.
post #67 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 05:58 PM
He's not mine
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,626 Times in 995 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Garage
I feel for the owners to who the closings affect. I'm one year and 12K+ out of factory warranty, and have purchased a service contract so I can theoretically go to any ASE mechanic now.

I made my two warranty period scheduled maintenance stops at smart center Buckhead (Atlanta), which is a 600 mile round trip from my home. I'm hoping that with the change, at least some of the (much more numerous) Mercedes dealers will begin taking on repairs which might be beyond the capabilities of Joe's Garage. Better yet, that Joe's Garage is better enabled to do repairs by having access to the information and parts necessary to do the work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode