Smart Car of America Forum banner

453 Smart "Cradle" RETROFIT - Iphone 6+/Galaxy

29K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  MhaGha 
#1 ·
Aloha 453ers!

With the Smart Connect App upon us, I have been faced with a problem. The Plastic Smartphone "cradle" that came with my 453 is (simply put) Amazing! I plugged it in and of course to much disappointment realized that my phone was too big. I enjoy my large mobile device and was let down that Smart USA did not have another solution for the large mobile users out there. I am happy to report that after much trial and error, I have come to a $25 dollar fix that will make ANY cellphone/gps/your second phone/your sons metal Hot wheels car stick effortlessly to the dash mount.
I will be posting a full tutorial soon but here are the finished images:
You will see the BEFORE:
and AFTER:
This method uses Highly Conductive magnets that are safe for all mobile devices without RPM hardrives. (No Zune or "ipod Classic') can be attached but since most modern devices have switched to solid memory you are good to go. best part: No Glue and this process is COMPLETELY REVERSABLE:

Mahalo,
Smart_Hawaii

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
GOOD IDEA!

You took the Scosche magnetic mount phone cradle and instead installed it in the center port where the usb plugs in.

Aloha 453ers!

With the Smart Connect App upon us, I have been faced with a problem. The Plastic Smartphone "cradle" that came with my 453 is (simply put) Amazing! I plugged it in and of course to much disappointment realized that my phone was too big. I enjoy my large mobile device and was let down that Smart USA did not have another solution for the large mobile users out there. I am happy to report that after much trial and error, I have come to a $25 dollar fix that will make ANY cellphone/gps/your second phone/your sons metal Hot wheels car stick effortlessly to the dash mount.
I will be posting a full tutorial soon but here are the finished images:
You will see the BEFORE:
and AFTER:
This method uses Highly Conductive magnets that are safe for all mobile devices without RPM hardrives. (No Zune or "ipod Classic') can be attached but since most modern devices have switched to solid memory you are good to go. best part: No Glue and this process is COMPLETELY REVERSABLE:

Mahalo,
Smart_Hawaii

#3 ·
Yep! The full video tutorial is coming soon. you have to get a specific Magic Mount that has a screw backing. the best part it the screws are almost the EXACT MEASUREMENTS of the front part of the harness. Grab a T-10 screwdriver and unscrew the 4 screws in the stock harness and plug in the scosche magic mount that you bought. some light cutting with a blade and your done.
Video coming soon.

Extra credit that the logo you see before you is like an S for "Smart" haha

#6 ·
Scosche MAGVM magicMOUNT? Vent mount for mobile devices at Crutchfield.com
is the one to use, because unlike the one Michael posted, this one has a "Screw backing". basically it screws DIRECTLY into the smart Bracket with no pre-drilling or glue. Did I mention the USB 3.0 port is still accessible and working? :) Video seriously coming soon. I have been commissioned to build three brackets for clients we have ;).

#10 ·
I haven't found a need, while driving or otherwise, to use the Cross-Connect app. So I don't need a phone cradle that looks like a tumor on the dashboard. It is time-wasting overkill, IMO. If I ever find a Cross-Connect need someday, I'd want my phone connected by Bluetooth, and right in my hand. Meanwhile, I have a coiling charging cord in the 12V socket beneath the armrest, and the phone snuggled in the slot built into the rear cupholder, at easy reach.

#16 ·
Thank you so much for this post! I like having the phone mount there but mine is to big so I'm really happy to see this. And I too love the S logo so it looks like its for Smart. Anyway, can you post detailed instructions how to do this? And at the risk of sounding dumb can. You tell me how to get the mount out of the dash. The dealer installed it and I can't get it off for the life of me. I'm scared I'll break something because I have no clue. Thanks again!

#17 ·
As far as getting the cradle off the dash, the collar towards the back of the stalk of the cradle (where it meets up with the front of the radio itself) has to be turned counter-clockwise i believe about a quarter turn (though i'm pretty sure it'll stop turning once it's been turned far enough), and then it should just pull right off if i remember correctly.

#20 ·
Well I can't figure out how to upload photos but I followed the pictures and modified the mount as described here. A T-10 screwdriver was way to big though. I had to find a T-6 then when putting the Scosche head on the mount I had to get longer screws to go through the thicker mount but it turned out great and works perfect. I don't know why Smart doesn't just make the mount like this in the first place. Also in the OP'S pictures you can see the electronics or motherboard for the USB and that bothered me. I thought it was to exposed so traced the shape of the mount and made a template. Then I cut a peice out of a black plastic coffee can lid to fit over that part. Once you screw the magnetic head onto the oem bracket it holds that tight and looks almost factory. I am so happy with it and pleased with myself. If anyone can tell me how to post a pic, I will. I tried several times and it said I exceeded my limit. (?)

#24 ·
If you look at his pictures the usb insides show. I traced that piece onto a black coffee can lid and cut it out. Then I placed that black cutout over the usb components and then screwed the new mount head onto the main bracket which attaches the lid piece and covers the usb components so dust doesn't get in there. It also makes it look better. People that see mine think it is factory. (And I think the torque driver I needed was a 2, Advanced Auto Supply let me borrow it so I did t have to buy one.)

#26 ·
Here's my hack to get my iPhone 6+ to fit in the Smart car phone cradle.
1. Unscrewed the left and right fingers of the cradle
2. Switched them (i.e. left goes to right and vice versa)
3. Screwed them in with the top hole matching the bottom hole. This extends the fingers out enough to put the larger phone in the cradle.

Minimal time and assembly.

Let me know if anyone else has another way.

Thanks.
Henry Mateo
CA Smart owner since 2009

Attachments

#31 ·
I don't know if this has been covered but figured I post it... On ebay you can buy the smart 453 in dash holder for cheap. Its called smart fortwo four...It is $26 bucks to your door. Will take about 2 weeks.And it works awesome. Holds big phones.
I personally didn't want to pay $130 for the same holder from Mercedes.
I am attaching pics in case someone doesn't know.. If your wondering the quality is great band it comes in different colors

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.