User Tag List

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)

This is gettin' good............

Maybe I should panic too since my Subaru has the fuel filter as part of the fuel pump..
MB DNA and WhiteNBlack08 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Virtually all cars are like that nowadays. Whatever fuel filter there is, is built into the fuel pump assembly, and there isn't another one.
kheran likes this.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
New does not mean better. If pump filter comb is set up right, worse case is you drop the tank clean it out and replace the pump and filter. Pain but not the end of your engine. However I have my doubts abut it being set up right per my previous posts that was why I started the thread.

For those that are interested I have posted about Uncle George. It is here:
https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...-george-94713/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 07:42 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,928 Times in 896 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei Grant View Post
Looks like you and I are going to disagree on this issue and I'm cool with that and I hope you are too. As to you having gotten a bad tank of gas, your standards and my standards of bad seem to be different. If you had gotten what I am talking about as a bad tank of gas you would have noted a lot more than just low MPG. Your MPG might have been over 100 MPG as the car would not be using any while it was riding on the the truck to the nearest service center (even if that is your own garage).
Fair enough.

Yes, I would say our standards for bad gas are much different. If a tank of gas causes that kind of issue, I would seriously reconsider my standards for stopping at a station. If you get gas that is that bad, there should have been other warning signs when you pulled in... Part of the reason, I only stop at top-tier, national brand stations...

But as a counter-point, if you have the risk of getting gas that bad where you live, I don't think any filter in the world will help...
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteNBlack08 View Post
Fair enough.
But as a counter-point, if you have the risk of getting gas that bad where you live, I don't think any filter in the world will help...
I have on a few occasions looked at my fuel gauge and realized I didn't have as much as I thought I had and knowing where I was had to make that choice of stop at the gas station or try to run it on fumes and hope to get to a better place. If I was familiar with the area them it is bad driving on my part and I should have know better. However, I have made some trips over the years where I didn't realize that the next station was 100 miles not 10 miles away. If you are already on fumes and haven't seen a station in the last 30 miles you fill up and cross you finger note the location and try not to be in that situation again if you come back that way.

Your counter point is valid, if you get a realy bad tank of gas so that you and your car are both riding a truck you are going to have major issues. It is all going to come down to how the filter and pump are set up in the car. Which is the information I don't have. Disregarding the pump filter set up for a moment and just looking at any fuel system, a high quality filter between the pump and the fuel rail should protect everything upstream of the filter. If you get that bad tank of gas drop the tank and throw away everything starting with the filter, and moving down the to the line, pump, pickup etc. until you have nothing left but the tank. You are still out the cost of the pump, the fuel line, and the filter, plus all the labor to clean the tank and then put it all back together. But a good filter should have protected everything else. The realy good ones can even prevent water passing. Not a cheap fix but a lot cheaper than having to also replace everything fuel related and rebuilding the head. It is possible that Smart actually has it set up so that there is a strainer before the pump and a high quality filter between the pump and the fuel line leaving the tank. I would be happy with that setup because it gives all the protection you're going to get. I have doubts that it is realy set up that way. I hope that I am wrong and that Smart got it right.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Is Fuel Injection service (preventative maintenance) a waste on the smart ForTwo gas model?
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturdayMorning View Post
Is Fuel Injection service (preventative maintenance) a waste on the smart ForTwo gas model?
Fuel injection service that you pay someone to do, is a waste.

Just put some regular fuel injection cleaner into the tank now and again; it won't hurt anything and it won't break the bank.
jwight, WhiteNBlack08 and kheran like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoFaster For This Useful Post:
SaturdayMorning (04-24-2015)
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

If you're asking about the process where they pull the injectors, attach a syringe to the fuel rail and force some magical fluid through the injectors and then put it all back together? In that case I would say no. Echoing another poster's advice. Buy high quality gas from a trusted location and adding a good cleaner to the tank should prevent the buildup that the described procedure is supposed to correct.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:45 AM
I'll figger this car out
SCOA Club

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
The 451 which I acquired has serious fuel delivery issues. I would tell you more, but I don't have any more info.
This weekend I will charge the battery and attempt to start the vehicle after checking all fluids.
If that doesn't work, I will use the ol' OBD-II scanner on it to identify possible issues.

BTW, are there any special procedures to starting a 451 after the battery has been disconnected, charged and reconnected?
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:43 PM
10Year+ Supporting Member
SCOA Club

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Garage
I have replaced my battery twice in the 10 years I've owned it. I have never done any thing special, just re connected the new one and cranked the car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode