User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Limited Slip Differential?

I got stuck in a snowbank this morning, and got to thinking that it would have been a lot easier to get out if not for the open differential. Anyone know of any LSD that will fit in the gearbox? Even one of those crappy Phantom Grips would probably be good enough for a stock 451.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,810 Times in 3,522 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
As long as the ESP is engaged, you're stuck (literally.) Add something to the stock diff - I doubt it. You can try the "remove fuse 11" solution which should work.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
try pulling up emergency brake... YMMV but it works for me in those type of situations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
kinda wondering why you'd be driving in a snowbank to begin with. haha

all joking aside.... you also have to remember that on top of ESP, the Smart has the ability to basically limit the amount of torque applied to the wheels in order to try to get out of a slippery situation. I'm guessing that if you were stuck.... you were stuck, and a different differential wouldn't have been of much use either.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 03:01 PM

the ESP does the same as a LSD in that situation by applying that individual wheel's brake... Why would you use the emergency brake??? thats for cars that dont have ESP.. well and are rear wheel drive. Now disconnecting #11 will just worsen the effect! I think that your issue might have been more tread related or simply that there is a physical limit to our smarties in snow... that is unless you go with snow tracks!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

I did pull #11 for the ride back home and it helped a bit. Still, it would be nice to have two wheels for traction versus one.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sato7 View Post
the ESP does the same as a LSD in that situation by applying that individual wheel's brake... Why would you use the emergency brake??? thats for cars that dont have ESP.. well and are rear wheel drive. Now disconnecting #11 will just worsen the effect! I think that your issue might have been more tread related or simply that there is a physical limit to our smarties in snow... that is unless you go with snow tracks!
hi i have snow tracks how can i up grade to possy
thank you
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yes, I would agree a mechanical limited slip dif would be a nice upgrade! I drive with the esp/abs off and when you trying to drift around a corner or cut a cookie the inside tire spins up and the car will kick the gearbox out of gear. It really sucks... Does anyone know how to disconnect that safety feature? Also if you wip the car around fast enough the car thinks itís been in an accident and will turn the engine off. Does anyone know how to turn that feature off as well? Nothing like trying to have fun when the car kicks itís self out of gear and turns its self off! Lol And no I donít have the wrong car, just trying to tune this one to me needs just like any other vehicle. 🤠
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:35 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,810 Times in 3,522 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
You are on your own with that stuff.......
NW453 likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:43 AM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,647 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigster View Post
Yes, I would agree a mechanical limited slip dif would be a nice upgrade! I drive with the esp/abs off and when you trying to drift around a corner or cut a cookie the inside tire spins up and the car will kick the gearbox out of gear. It really sucks... Does anyone know how to disconnect that safety feature? Also if you wip the car around fast enough the car thinks itís been in an accident and will turn the engine off. Does anyone know how to turn that feature off as well? Nothing like trying to have fun when the car kicks itís self out of gear and turns its self off! Lol And no I donít have the wrong car, just trying to tune this one to me needs just like any other vehicle. 🤠
What in the world are you doing that kicks the car out of gear and shuts the engine off? I've literally jumped my smart with actual airtime and I regularly offroad mine without any of those problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode