User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
He must have a really fun track in his back yard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:24 AM

Thanked 1,232 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
4” of snow. I get stuck backing out of the driveway, curve to street. Neighbors laugh at me.

Off roading with a smart car. Not enough ground clearance. 20 of us found that out on a event to Madison county Iowa. It’s a freakin city car! Couldn’t tell you how many of us bottom out, small rocks, in the back woods. One Brabus owner bent one of his front wheels. Leave off roading to a Jeep. It’s a Jeep thing, you wouldn’t understand.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:53 AM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,647 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
It's a lot more capable than you give it credit for. My 451 is my main offroader and rally car. Our cars have belly pans, so impacts with small rocks aren't a problem. You also won't bottom out as often if you use the car's tiny track and wheelbase to your advantage. My smart sits lower than most due to my towing hitch and most of the time even it doesn't take a hit. A good set of tyres will make short work of 4 inches of snow. I've never been stuck in snow that shallow. There's a video of me somewhere literally driving down a rock face. No scrapes, no bottoming out.

Brabus wheels are just barely good for road use, let alone being in the wilderness. I have 15" Genius wheels wrapped in the thickest rubber I can fit for my current ride height. I hope to get a set of steel rears and mount rally tyres in time for the next rally.

Car just got its rally livery and I picked up MTs for the truck that now accompanies it offroad (4x4 Ford Ranger).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:28 AM

Garage
Since mine was bought to be a Toad: I'd just as soon leave all of the excitement for you young folks...

https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/fo...1&d=1566408504
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toad.jpg (58.0 KB, 5 views)
Miss Mercedes likes this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mercedes View Post
What in the world are you doing that kicks the car out of gear and shuts the engine off? I've literally jumped my smart with actual airtime and I regularly offroad mine without any of those problems.
Well, 😂 maybe the best way to experience it yourself is turn off the esp/abs and drive 30mph ish and give the steering wheel a quick flick as you hank on the e-break (then release) as you mash the gas pedal. If the car rotated too quickly the car thinks you were in a crash and shut off, if it doesn’t shut of and you get single wheel spin up the car kicks it’s self out of gear ( when I assume the percentage difference between the two drive wheels meets a certain criteria) and if you have enough talent you can do both at the same time! Lol
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:01 PM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,647 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
When I offroad I never use esp or abs. I used to do the button trick, though now my rusted out reluctor rings make every drive a drive without those systems. Gotta fix those before winter!

I've flicked this thing so hard I've had it on two wheels. I can turn it around in a heartbeat without problems, but I don't use the handbrake (no need to on dirt/mud). I've also had it at the kind of angles that cause airbag deployments in newer trucks. Maybe something about the handbrake followed by immediate application of throttle and rapid direction change freaks the computers out.

Funny you can do this without problems:

But a handbrake turn is just too much? Next time I'm in a mud pit I'll remember to give the handbrake a good yank as a test.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:09 AM

Garage
That's some impressive picture...
"Ladies and Gentlemen: fasten your seat belts, and make sure that your tray tables are in the upright position..."
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
That is a pretty impressive picture! 😂 remind me not to buy any of your cars! Lol

I’m pretty sure it is the “YAW” rotation equation that is part of what I’m experiencing where smart flight it isn’t. And also it is more Prevalent The faster you go and harder the vehicle rotation. The harder it snaps. You can have fun all day long sliding around but once the pace picks up other anomalies become a factor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode