Smart Car of America Forum banner

New and learning the site

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  strelnik 
#1 ·
I've just bought 2 Smarties, an 08 cabriolet passion, and a 2012 passion (I think) fro $800. Both not running and with issues. The 08 was a quick$2 pcv swap and she's rolling. The 12 on the other hand, I'm probably going to have to pull the engine down and see if it's the sleeves or just the head/gasket that has the Pistons pumping water like crazy. Any tricks or tips before I go head long into the frey?

#7 ·
So, the 2012, engine is definitely coming out. Center cylinder has most likely deformed the gasket well enough to get into the water jacket. The cylinder closest to the intake (assuming it's the #1cyl .) Has water as well but not as much as the second. Fingers crossed for just a head gasket and a good lapping of the valves. I'll use the ol'flat plate and paint trick to check flat on the head. Anything I should be mindful of with the cam position and the such? Tricks, tips, or otherwise?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.