Rain/light sensor install/SAM control unit - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Rain/light sensor install & LIN B of the SAM control unit

I'm attempting something that I'm probably going to regret starting so I guess that is the point behind this post as I'm wondering what I'm getting myself into with this mod.

I have two Smarts (an 08 Passion Cabrio and a 09 Brabus Cabrio) and I'm trying to swap some optional accessories. One of which is the rain sensor/light sensor. The Brabus didn't have this as an option and I really like those two features.

I know it requires swapping the windshield as well as the stalks on the steering column. Both of which don't concern me as I can have a glass company swap the windshield and swapping the headlight/wiper stalks looks VERY easy thanks to this guide. FQ101 : Smart Car Modifications

However, I was going through this online pdf technical manual for the Smart

http://scp-parts.com/pdf/2008fortwotech.pdf (it's 39MB so if you haven't already downloaded it then takes a little while to get)

and it talks about the SAM control unit which says "The SAM control unit also communicates over: LIN B with the tachometer and the rain sensor/light sensor.(page 29)...When the autolight function is activated and darkness is detected, the rain sensor/light sensor sends a corresponding signal via the LIN B to the SAM control unit. This evaluates the signal and actuates the appropriate lamps over direct lines (page 101)".

Seems pretty straight forward...the question is whether the LIN B to the Sam control unit is activated properly, which if the LIN B also works with the tachometer (which the Brabus already has) then maybe this is plug and play? Hmmm, wishful thinking?

Any thoughts about what I'm embarking on here would be very much appreciated. It seems like swapping the hardware (i.e. the wiper/light stalks from the steering column, windshield and wiring) is doable, but what else will I have to do here? My knowledge of the SAM unit is zero, I suspect swapping a SAM unit would be a no-no and the first thing that came to mind after reading that blurb was maybe this requires a "willing" dealer to activate them.

The tech manual also states on page 101 that the "Coming-Home function" is only a component of the autolight function. "The function is a component of the Autolight Function. When the vehicle is locked or unlocked, the driving lights are switched on for 12 seconds. The function is also activated by the rain sensor/light sensor; the position of the combination switch is immateral. The Coming-Home function can only be deactivated by coding in the workshop."

The dealer where I purchased the Brabus said they don't install these items (nor do they install any factory options...they just do add-ons), so they basically aren't any help.

P.S. The other items I'm attempting to swap out are the fog lights and factory alarm (I've already put the fog lights on the Brabus) and I've been looking for a guide or a diagram of the wiring. The technical manual doesn't really give enough detail of the wiring to know what's what.

Last edited by Brabus; 03-08-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The tread you write is true....you need SAM activation to do this... find another dealer can do it they can change parameter...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
dont do it. so so not worth it. the rain light sensor barely works. it works so little they are pulling it out of production in march or april.

however the alarm and fog can be swapped easy enough. just have to have a star diagnostics to program them in. the wiring is already there for both of them in both cars. the alarm is two pieces one siren under the car and one motion sensor in the center console. remember you have to swap the main switch as well.

Last edited by SmartTech; 03-09-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,808 Times in 3,521 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
current software?

After watching a fuel gauge fix at smart center Columbus over the weekend, make sure the dealer has the right version software for your car's VIN. Also any needed online updates. After all was said and done, the owner had a fixed fuel gauge and his DRLs had been deactivated somehow; have not been reactivated yet. Just something to be aware of.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartTech View Post
dont do it. so so not worth it. the rain light sensor barely works. it works so little they are pulling it out of production in march or april.
Hmmm, the two sensors seem to work fine on the Passion. I didn't know they were canceling those options. Did they explicitly state that is the reason why they are discontinuing them? Do you think they are discontinuing it due to trying to lower the cost to be more competitively priced due to the economy and cars like the iQ, etc.? I mean, the windshield with the sensors alone costs about 3 times the price of a windshield without the sensors, a lot of cars have these features so it's not like it's something cutting edge, I mean wouldn't they just replace it with an improved version if it was faulty?

I guess I'll pass for now on attempting this. I'll get the fog lights and alarm system done and call it the day.

Quote:
however the alarm and fog can be swapped easy enough. just have to have a star diagnostics to program them in. the wiring is already there for both of them in both cars. the alarm is two pieces one siren under the car and one motion sensor in the center console. remember you have to swap the main switch as well.
I'm glad to read that the fog light and alarm swap is straight forward, i.e. I don't have to worry about wiring. Simply swap the fog lights, motion sensor, siren and cockpit switch group. Almost seems too easy.

I may not activate the alarm though, because I don't like the 3 chirps it makes when you lock the car. I like cars that you have to click the lock/arm button twice before it beeps, i.e. you have control over whether you want a beep or not, or at the very least have it just chirp one time as most alarms only beep several times if the alarm as been set off. A minor thing but is a big deal when wanting to lock the car late at night when everyone is sleeping.

Last edited by Brabus; 03-09-2009 at 01:07 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
the alarm and fogs still have to be computer programed through the sam module for them to work. but yes the moving them is rather easy just bolt on bolt off...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
the alarm and fogs still have to be computer programed through the sam module for them to work. but yes the moving them is rather easy just bolt on bolt off...
I'll call around to various dealers to see whether they will do it and how much they'll charge. It's probably a 20 minute job that they'll charge an hour labor to do.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
It works perfectly fine on my car, so I am not sure where you are basing this off of...

It was pulled due to issues with the bridge for heated mirror functions, and causing excessive battery draw when people did not follow the manual and left the wipers and lights in auto all of the time on the '09s.

Also, IIRC, I read that it is coming back...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfortwoguy View Post
It works perfectly fine on my car
Only quirk I have with the auto wipers is I frequently have to activate them by flipping the switch as if they need to be waked up to start paying attention to the rain on the windshield, this only occurs when it starts raining. Although a previous Smart that I drove didn't have this problem, but it's a minor quirk.

I admit, I'm one of those people who didn't read the manual.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

I wonder if the Smart car that I'm taking these parts off of will need to have the alarm and fog lights deactivated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode