LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 09:34 PM
King of Smart Gadgetry
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Garage
If you're looking for the unconventional approach and something that's doesn't take up your cargo area you might want to consider a small computer sound system that consists of 2 satellite speakers and a small subwoofer like the Altec Lansing AC44.

Now before you laugh, I put 2 of these systems in my Smart and they really kick a$$. They might not move your hair but they will shake the windshield loose. You don't get the deep deep sub frequencies from about 50 hz down, but they do a respectable job. I mounted the 4 satellites on an aluminum bar behind the seats.

Both subs I mounted together and both fit snuggly in behind the glove box.

Power amp is built into the subwoofer. Now the only 2 problems was they run on 120 VAC so I added a 200 watt power inverter. Second I added a line level converter to connect the radio because the entryline radio didn't have line level outs. The entryline radio sounds very good with the system. I can listen to the stock radio as usual and when I want it loud I flip the power switch to the power inverter and it kicks into afterburner. I like unconventional solutions to problems. Back in the 70's I modified a home stereo for use on my old 65 Chevy Chevelle. That car got broken into 2 different times and the stero stolen out of it because several people wanted it. One system would have been plenty inside the little interior of the Smart. There isn't much interior space so a small amount of wattage goes a long way in a Fortwo. It can get critically loud quickly. I like loud but it has to be clean. I can't stand distortion or clipping in my music.I'm gonna update my radio though because I need bluetooth for my phone.
Last item to consider if you go with a large audio amp is some of them draw a fair amount of amperage peak to peak from the 12 volt system and the Smart is already heavily taxed in the electrical department, so be mindful that strange things can pop up if voltage starts varying from a inconsistent amperage draw from an amp, and God knows there's very little room for an extra battery. I'm sure you'll find the right solution. Good luck and please keep us posted on your final result.,DCO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 06:26 AM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
imageuploadedbyautoguide1477747516.247765.jpg I put mine behind the seats
Yellowhat likes this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Near ideas! But I'm looking for an actual subwoofer that would fit. I was looking at panzer opti series 6000 watt subwoofer would that fit?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcarfan71 View Post
Near ideas! But I'm looking for an actual subwoofer that would fit. I was looking at panzer opti series 6000 watt subwoofer would that fit?

I'm not familiar with those, but I used to run 2 Kicker Solobaric L5 8" subs behind the seats in a Fiero, and they were almost too much..
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

I'm the type of guy that thinks that more is better but I'm trying to figure out how much wattage would I actually need in a smart car so it can either lift my hair up a little bit or til it just sounds good

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Unfortunately, you cannot break the laws of audio physics. To get hair moving bass, you have to move a LOT of air. To move a LOT of air, you need a large driver, a lot of power driving it, and a large enclosure. The smart does not afford much room for a large enclosure.
That said, there are alternatives that will give you solid bass without taking up your cargo space. After looking at a lot of different options, i decided on this for my smart.
https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KSC-S...od+powered+sub
I did this in conjunction with replacing the door speakers, adding 2 4" speakers to the rear cargo area, and a new head unit. All working together gives some serious kick ass sound. The sub is mounted behind the drivers seat.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbelt View Post
Unfortunately, you cannot break the laws of audio physics. To get hair moving bass, you have to move a LOT of air. To move a LOT of air, you need a large driver, a lot of power driving it, and a large enclosure. The smart does not afford much room for a large enclosure.
That said, there are alternatives that will give you solid bass without taking up your cargo space. After looking at a lot of different options, i decided on this for my smart.
I did this in conjunction with replacing the door speakers, adding 2 4" speakers to the rear cargo area, and a new head unit. All working together gives some serious kick ass sound. The sub is mounted behind the drivers seat.
I know there isn't a lot of room for an enclosure that's why I was thinking about putting the speakers in the cargo space and making a collaspable box for the speakers

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcarfan71 View Post
I know there isn't a lot of room for an enclosure that's why I was thinking about putting the speakers in the cargo space and making a collaspable box for the speakers

Do you have a video?

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbelt View Post
Do you have a video?
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
I installed one of these behind the passengers seat. LOTS of BOOM from it...
SOUND STORM LOPRO10 10 inch 800-watt Amplified Subwoofer System

Subwoofers Archives - Sound Storm Labs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode