User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1st Week of Ownership

A few comments @ 500 miles:

Overall, I am beyond thrilled that we are actually able to get these here. Comments:

1) Every step of the experience from the 1st Tour test drive through receipt of the car was exactly what/when/how much smart predicted it would be. A faultless performance.
2) We own 18 vehicles, ranging from 19 (scooter) to 585 (Superformance Cobra) hp. I mention this only because we have a diverse frame of reference. Taken and used as it's intended to be used, this thing is great. Everything from the mileage to (of course) the entertainment value, makes this worth owning.
3) #1 surprise: Excepting the impact of the short wheelbase, you would NEVER know from the driving experience "inside" that it's so microscopic on the outside. You quickly just "do what you always do" and forget you're doing it in a snack wrap.
4) #1 impression: I see this as the start of some very good trends: "Why did I really need so much more of everything to do the job this does?"
5) #1 question asked by others: Is it electric?
6) #1 comment by others: You could die in that thing. (To which I've replied, a) Think of it as a motorcycle with a roll bar, and b) If you see one, don't run it over- Tell your friends, too.)
7) 1st tank, combined city/highway with an eye towards best effort to "fill it the same way/amount": 39.6 mpg. (Better than my R1 Yamaha!)
8) Comment to others waiting for their cars: Be patient, it's worth the wait. You'll have a ball when it gets here.
9) #1 dumb comment I've read on this site from another owner: He/she was upset to find his/her ice cream melted when he/she put it in the back on the engine cover. I respond: Pull over and turn off the engine before you hurt someone.

That's it for now, I hope this is, in some small way, useful to others.

Last edited by SmartOwner; 05-03-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 08:54 PM

Two weeks here....all positive! 4 hour trip home and then a 3 day trip this week has not changed my mind. I too have 'other' cars. One being a 1973 Javelin, so I know how to go fast. But the Smart still is not 'Slow' as some say...different, yes....Great car...CONGRATS!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 09:08 PM

Agreed

684 miles in 3 days...

Agreed on all points.

As for melting ice cream... my Twix bar and Skittles didn't melt, they were inside a plastic bag sitting on the engine cover for a 6 hour drive... all cargo needs is a few inches of separation and it won't melt. But I can see how an engine cover that's not 100% in the right place would leak heat into the compartment. My sales person had to try 3-4 times but eventually got it positioned right.

I've also been asked, "Where's the other half" and about mileage, safety, etc. So far everyone that had the impulse to ask seemed more interested after I answered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

The level of interest is encouraging.
smart's "Open up your mind" invitation is a good one.
Another question I was asked: "What's it going to be when it grows up?"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:56 AM

Two and a half weeks with 525 mi. on my blue/black Passion Coupe, and loving it! The most memorable comment I've had, after the "Is it safe?" question was**"I suppose it's as safe as my motorcycle." Yes, I suppose it is.
I mostly get lots of smiles and thumbs up.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 12:10 PM

Picked mine up on Saturday, April 26, 2008. At first I was not sure I would like it all that much, but it grows on you. Now with the gas at almost $4, I am extremely pleased. I also own a Lincoln which gets about 16-18 MPG. I think I will drive it around the block once in a while, to keep it running. The Smart is good enough for all my driving now. The most-asked question I get is "How's the mileage?" (I got 36 on the first tank)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartOwner View Post

4) #1 impression: I see this as the start of some very good trends: "Why did I really need so much more of everything to do the job this does?"

I agree on all points, but I chose this one to discuss...

Doesn't this little car really change your mind about how we do things in this country? I had a conversation with a friend after I drove him around the block, he said it was great and if it only had a back seat... I said "why? I don't need one".

This is my daily driver now, and I've realized the overkill I have been using to drive to work every day with my Land Rover. Heck no I don't need that much vehicle at all times!

We tend to look for a car that has EVERYTHING, then we buy two or three of them and commute in our everything cars. Well I don't need an everything car anymore, my smart drives me to work and gives me a toy to play with. Can I carry $200 worth of groceries? Maybe, maybe not. Can I carry my two very large dogs? Probably not (and there's no way I'd let those dirty pups anywhere near my interior, lol). But you know what? I have the truck for those times I need it, and over the first week of smart ownership I've found that I hardly need that much vehicle at all.... Which really made me think about the vehicle choices we make.

Anyway, this little car has officially changed my mind about what type of vehicle I will ever want and need. I don't think my car-buying will ever be the same again.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 10:25 AM

You know, bottlerocket has really summed up quite nicely my sentiments as well.
Nice job.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 11:00 AM

The Zen of Smart

@ Bottlerocket: wow, that is so cool that you were thinking that as well. I have a post/thread 1/2 drafted in my head regarding that very same line of thinking. (been hampered by massive allergies, so disposable energy and thought is at a premium right now ;) ) I was going to title it: "The Zen of Smart" or the like.

the excess out there is astounding! people driving to work in these huge cars all by themselves. and don't get me started on the speed-up-to-the-red-light people. so much WASTE. of gas, of materials. (i have no problem with large families owning and using large cars. what can they do? I happen to be a big fan of large families, but that is another story).

why I bet a small wide-spread change in vehicle weights, and driving habits would cut gas consumption (and reliance on the oil ticks) by a huge amount. the "everyone else has one" mentality is crippling.

Most people that comment on the smart are cool; they get it. I find the most negative comments come from younger (or older insecure) males. some thing about a small car makes them unsure; uneasy; unsettled. like it would hold them back from showing or proving somehting. very strange.

at 45 years old with a wife & family, the only thing I need to prove right now was that I was WAY ahead of the curve in getting this amazing gas-conscious, environmentally-friendly car!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Smartie View Post
I find the most negative comments come from younger (or older insecure) males...
The opposite has seemed true for me... I get tons of smart-related questions, positive comments, and rubbernecking from younger males who are fascinated by the smart in very expressive about wanting one. No negativity at all from this demographic yet. In fact, I was also very surprised how many blue-collar types have gone out of their way to express interest and approval in this car, which is sort of the antithesis of what they usually drive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode