• 2 Post By Snowball

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Florida to Michigan in 2.5 days

Morning folks,
Well I made it to Florida yesterday and was welcomed by a whole lot of rain. The weather forecast is calling for more rain today for most of Florida so I guess we'll be driving through that to start our trip. The goal today is to get to Montgomery, AL.
My dad has the car all ready to go so we literally just need to put in our bags and go. Of course he's sending me off with enough tools and a few things he wanted me to have. We have the spare tire in the back too so it's quite full already. I'll post more tonight when we stop for the evening.
jwight, OliverB and sokoloff like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Safe travels!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

We made it as far as Montgomery Alabama today. I had some trouble with my Smart idling. It started running a little rough and stalled once. After that we would shut the air conditioning off at each stoplight. Then I remembered that Smarts need premium gas. So we ran the tank down halfway and topped off on 95 octane. I hope that fixes it and that's the only hiccup we have on our trip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Garage
When on an 8 day trip with heavy rain almost daily I found my air filter suffered a lot. Sucking in all the wet dirty air clogged my paper filter up. I changed it out on the morning of the third day. The premium gas may settle it back down. But again this trip is to just nurse it back home so I am not suggesting you change air filter as long as you are moving along, Once home you and the car will get a better idea of what you need from one another and grow in sync filters and all lol. This trip...... Not fast Just forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to twcom For This Useful Post:
Jo e Lefors (07-29-2019)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twcom View Post
When on an 8 day trip with heavy rain almost daily I found my air filter suffered a lot. Sucking in all the wet dirty air clogged my paper filter up. I changed it out on the morning of the third day. The premium gas may settle it back down. But again this trip is to just nurse it back home so I am not suggesting you change air filter as long as you are moving along, Once home you and the car will get a better idea of what you need from one another and grow in sync filters and all lol. This trip...... Not fast Just forward.
Great information to know, especially for those of us that have a scoop on the side. I'm lucky we don't get much rain here in the desert.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Well, we made it back on Sunday evening without much hassle from the car. It did stall on me again at a traffic light in southern Indiana so that was twice during the whole trip. It was an extremely bumpy ride though! Every state had some major construction project going on and were either resurfacing roads or building new ones that caused detours and lane shifts. We were stuff in Nashville for a bit because of a traffic jam but it wasn't too serious.

Driving the car was finicky at first until I was used to the way it shifts again. My dad had the shifter button thingy from Smart Madness so I've been playing with that the past couple of days. I'm not entirely sure what mode it is in so I tried a couple an it seems to shift better now in stop and go traffic. A number of times the car would "buck" like a bronco which made me feel as if I were driving one of those cars with the hydraulics that make it bounce!

We didn't stop much on the drive up as I had a deadline to get home by Sunday. We did stop in Birmingham and visit the Sloss Furnace there which was quite remarkable. If anyone has a chance to go there sometime, it is worth seeing. It doesn't cost anything to get in and your free to walk around the place at your own pace. They do have guided tours a couple of times a day if you feel more comfortable with that.

Anyway, if I was asked to do the trip again I would probably say no but simply because it is such a rough ride. I felt bad for the little car hitting some of those bumps. At times it felt like we were going to lose the front tires the bumps were so bad. We hit a portion of the road that had the top 3/4" to 1" ground off so they could resurface. The trouble with it as at the end there was no inclined transition to the concrete at the bridge. We were going around 65 and the shock was so big the radio changes channels! Not a fun experience.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the little insight to an otherwise wonderful trip.
jwight and OliverB like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snowball For This Useful Post:
jwight (07-30-2019), Smart Bob (07-30-2019)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Garage
That is sure the truth about the roads. Around you town you will learn every bump hole and grove to avoid lol. Glad you made it through depending on the tires currently have on the car, and if you have to change to a different tire for the Michigan winters. You could get some info here about what tire size will give you the best ride and winter grip from SCOA members. Glad you made it home safe and now you will begin to mold your Smart to suit you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode