Smart Car of America Forum banner

help (450 alternator wiring)

15K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  strelnik 
#1 ·
Hi I have a 2005 diesel smart fortwo. I pulled the alternator out and need the manual to figure out what the clip with 2 wires going into the alternator are for ? I know one is for the battery light but do not know then other. If anyone could help me it would be great help, thank you!:p

#4 ·
...I tried with the link but it does'nt work...
Quoi? It doesn't work? Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia

On the page that loads, on the left side, uncheck New Style For2 and uncheck For4. Then type alternator into the search box. You should get a results page with two items. The second item is the one you want, which I have conveniently included here in this post:

Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia

However, since the original poster has a CDi ForTwo, this may or may not work. Another option is to browse the Canadian forum http://clubsmartcar.ca Canada received only the turbo diesel ForTwo 450s and that forum is a TREMENDOUS bit of knowledge for diesel 450s.

#5 ·
Hi
I know this is an old thread but I’d like to share my experience.
I recently bought ForTwo 0.7 2006 Passion 450
After a few days we found out the alternator was not charging.
I went to fit the new alternator and noted the wiring as:
B+ main charge
W trigger wire
The D+ pin was isolated with a removable rubber blank.
The W pin was snapped away from the rectifier and I assumed that was why it wasn’t charging. The alternator had been changed recently as it was all bright and shiny.
Put the new one on, reconnected the battery and turned engine on.....
14.2v charging YAY!!!
But:
ABS / ESP lights were on
Check engine light on
Would go into gear but stalled when trying to pull away
No accelerator (none at all)
Various error codes: P2000, B1305, C1340, P2042
After panicking I did some investigation and eventually found out that the original alternator was incorrectly connected.
It should be:
B+ main charge
D+ trigger wire
I changed the wires over - all codes clear, throttle responsive and gears were selectable.
I hope this will save someone days of searching for the answer to wiring.... I wish I could have found one :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.