Smart Car of America Forum banner

Quick Charge

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  arturo.vega 
#1 ·
We are in the market for an electric car. Many years ago we owned the Chrysler GEM (Global Electric Motors). Now that electric cars have improved we are looking. We have checked out the Nissan Leaf and the Chevy Spark EV. Now we are checking put the ForTwo Electric. For what I've read quick charge became an available option with the 3rd generation. My question is: Is there a visible way yo know if the car has this option? Thanks.

#6 ·
I have a 2018 smart electric and recently installed a level 2 (32 amp) charger. It charges in less than 3 hours.

Talking about the range, it depends on how you drive, weather and if you use the AC. I normally get between 65 to 75 miles per charge. You can get more using the ECO mode but I don't like the acceleration in ECO mode.

Hope this helps.

#8 ·
"I have a 2018 smart electric and recently installed a level 2 (32 amp) charger. It charges in less than 3 hours." Yeah, my owners manual says level 2 charges in 2.5 hrs!
Arturo, I just bought a 2017 smart ED Passion. Planning on installing a level 2 charger. Could you share which EVSE you installed? And do you like it or wish you bought a different one?

#9 ·
Of course, the one I bought is:

BougeRV Level 2 EV Charger (240V, 32A, 25FT) Portable EV Charging Cable EVSE Electric Vehicle Charger with NEMA 14-50P

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P9C963L/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_whaxDbX8R6B0K

I was going to but a ChargePoint (also recommended here) but I decided to go with a cheaper option. The duosida has a display showing temperature, amps, and the option to select the output power. I normally use it at 32 amps but you can lower it and leave it charging overnight.

Let me know if you have more questions.

#10 ·
Ok, nice choice, I was thinking 32a evse too. I have a spare 40a 220/240v breaker about 20-25' from where id like to install outlet in garage, not sure if it is doable with 8 or 10 guage wiring. Others insist must be 6 ga wire w/ a 50a breaker to the 14-50 outlet, curious about your setup. With a 32a limit on the evse, I would think a 40a break is ok and even 10guage wire would work.

#11 ·
With a 40a breaker you should be fine. Mine is a 50a because I was going to get a 40a charger. My breakers are in the basement and we ran the cable to the garage to setup the 14-50 outlet (around 20-25 ft of cable, I'm not sure about the wire gauge).

I forgot to mention that the EVSE included a card for a free holster. They sent it in a few days, works great to keep the cable in the right place

https://www.amazon.com/BougeRV-Wall-Mount-Connector-Holster-Electric/dp/B07CP3J95D/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.