SAM Unit and Key nightmare - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SAM Unit and Key nightmare

I recently moved abroad to a country that has no dealership that has the Smart Car software. I took the car to have a spare made the day before I shipped it. Stupidly I did not check if the new key they gave me was working. Unfortunately someone jumped into the sea with my original worrking key in their pocket. Then I found out that the key I had programmed was duff.

Although there is a Mercedes dealership here, they are unwilling to get the SMART software to program a new key.

Does anyone know if getting a donor SAM unit with keys from a scrapped car will work in my car? Otherwise I may have to turn it into a plant pot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 03:24 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Contact SMART headquarters for help.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried that, they are being very unhelpful. Isn't there some way I could get the sam unit and keys programmed OUT of the car? As in send those abroad to be programmed rather than have to ship the whole car to a dealer? Nearest dealer is 500 miles away so in fact my car is worthless as it stands!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 11:42 AM

What year is your car?
it might be possible to pull you sam and send it with keys. they would then have to install it in a car there and program them in.
only catch though is i think once you get it back you would still have to program you sam to you car and if no one has the soft ware you are still in the same boat.

one thing you might look in to is getting a star diagnostics system for your own personal use. it may be extreme but if another dealer is out of the options then 2000 for computer might be worth it. and if there are other smarts around you could make some of your money back.

one other thing you could try is Mercedes shops that arent dealers might have the same software that will work on your smart
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,968 Times in 1,349 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Garage
I noticed a key programmer on Ebay that said it would work on Mercedes and Smart cars. It was around $2,000 but maybe it might help you out. I have no idea if it will work or not.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,818 Times in 3,529 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
He can probably ship the car back to Florida round trip for less than $2K; may be the only way to solve this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
How much would it cost to invite someone with programmer and software to reprogram the keys in exchange for a trip to Trinidad?

The key that went swimming can possibly be cleaned and refit with a new battery but would probably still need the reprogramming.

If ever you have electronics (or fine mechanical parts) doused in water, a rinse ASAP with isopropyl alcohol could save you from deterioration.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage
Creepy story, and I feel the pain.

I got a 2nd hand Smart with 2000 miles. Well, the horn doesn't work, the passenger door lock doesn't work, and heaven knows what else. I took it to the Mercedes Benz of Sugarland, Texas and they ordered a new SAM unit. Meanwhile, I also ordered a new key, because the car only came with one.

They called and said my SAM was in, and I can come in any time to have it installed.

Fifty miles one way, I got there and they took the car back, and then came and said that they can't put the SAM in without two keys. The second key is held up in customs. SOOOOOO I have to wait for the key to come in before they can install the SAM, and get the horn working.

My question is, what if I lose one of my keys, then what?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 04:09 PM
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraAnderson View Post
Creepy story, and I feel the pain.

I got a 2nd hand Smart with 2000 miles. <snip>

My question is, what if I lose one of my keys, then what?
This doesn't sound right to me. If you poses the title/registration, then whether you have the key(s) really should not matter with respect to ownership. I suspect something BOGUS here!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 04:14 PM

with the 451 cars you can program just one key to the car. the problem with losing keys is that if you lose all of them some times you have to replace the sam module so that it will accept all new keys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode