User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
smart gas engines forever

hi i just bot a 2009 smart passion, with a solid top put over the see through dome....had been a police car for the past 10 yrs and had all of 12000 miles on it. no horn, but, they did leave the siren in place. i hope that smart returns the gas engine to america, as my thoughts are that it is doomed if they continue to go total electric. sales results seem to prove me right. offleaseonly.com sells lots of smarts but, the electric ones dont get much play. mbz should put diesels and gas into america
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum!

I wish they would, or at the least make a battery with (much longer) range than they currently offer.

(For now Iíll just enjoy the plusher ride in my Scion/Toyota iQ).
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

it was for me a smart or an IQ. no IQ's around here. lots of smarts. so i got a low mile smart and like it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 05:57 PM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,774 Times in 3,494 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
There will be no gas engine smarts in any market as of 2020.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

i dont expect smart to survive then. they should have brought the roadster to america. miata did and it owns the sports car market. many errors were made by mercedes benz. my closest smart dealer is 70 miles away. my mercedes dealer is 2 miles away. repeat that over and over and over. they should put a real battery in the electric smart, use the current 3 cyl engine as backup, ala prius, or smaller. smart electric doesnt cut it. they say 100 mi range. those i know, got rid of them as they only really do under 60 mi. it's a shame, but, mercedes was the wrong automaker to carry this load
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:30 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,774 Times in 3,494 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
None of what you propose is feasible in the current fortwo chassis and M-B has a whole line of EQ cars headed to market to replace the smart electric. The decision to carry (or not) the smart brand was entirely up to the dealership owners, as was the decision to carry the smart EQ.... If wishes were horses, etc.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:23 AM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum!

The Roadster was a rushed production job. The cost of warranty repairs to smart is often noted as the cause of smart killing it. And these aren't little issues either, these are "turbo died" or "water leaks onto computer unit" bad.

The diesel died with the 451. We're also half the size of a Prius, so nowhere to store a hybrid drivetrain.

In my opinion, you're really only pointing to factors in smart's demise in the US, but there is far more to this story.

The US is very different from Europe. City cars are less practical here, there is no government incentive to driving a small car, and small cars only sell well when fuel prices are high.

In fact, cars are selling so poorly in this country right now that major manufacturers are phasing out their cars and building only trucks, SUVs, crossovers, and muscle cars. If sedans can't even sell enough to make the cut, a smart would never stand a chance.

Clearly, even smart knew the odds were stacked against the fortwo because they planned to enter the US market in 2006 with a SUV instead of the fortwo.

They could have imported the diesel here and I'm sure that would have sold well at first, provided the price was right. However, we now live in a post-Dieselgate world where automakers are now shying away from Diesel in favour of electric.

Long story short, smart would be doomed in this country no matter what unless they offered a larger vehicle. The forfour would be a great start, but it would have to have a competitive price.

As for the overall brand (as in, not just its health in the USA), these cars actually sell well and are quite popular. The smartville factory ran at capacity for a number of years.

It appears the problem is that Mercedes-Benz burns far more money than they would make back. All these suggestions like opening new factories and such are pointless if MB can't get their spending under control. If I recall correctly, MB was losing something like $8k for every smart sold up to 2008...and it's not like these cars were super cheap back then, either. Teaming up with Renault and building a car that squashed complaints of previous generations seemed to be their plan for saving smart, and it appears they somehow managed to mess that up, too.

But that's all in the past now. Geely has laid out their plans for saving smart and they are solid. They will build a car in the B-Segment (larger than a forfour) and it'll be all electric. Since China loves smart and China loves EVs, I expect them to sell hilariously well. The larger size will also accommodate better EV tech, which means they will stand a better chance in an America where EVs are more popular than ever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Mercedes For This Useful Post:
VulcanizedCrawler (04-20-2019)
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

i dont care about electric, but, my idea i realize would have happened if it was feasible. all i really care about is the gas or diesel. giving the dealerships the option was not bright. vw in 1948 was ''forced'' upon jaguar dealers, or they would get no jags. they reluctantly agreed and in 1949 they started to roll the beetle onto the shores of america. soon they were selling more vw's than jags. mercedes giving options to their dealers was not wise if they wanted to be successful, or they should have had more dealerships. also bringing the roadster to america could have given great competition to the miata the other affordable sportscar. such is life. i just dont think mercedes ever had their heart into the smart. now living in germany for many years, i soon realized mercedes were fords. only in las americas does mercedes become something special. the whole range of mercedes are impressive that we never see, including trucks. had mercedes added smart to their line, logo star and all....there would have been a difference i think. when they went full electric and 100 mi max (57)...i saw the writing on the wall. 200 maybe or more than tesla, but, not the range they came up with. i suppose you are right, the smart was not meant to be an electric. when i first saw the smart back in 1998 in dexheim, i was impressed and impressed that it was gas with great mpg and even better with diesel. when it arrived in america, gen two, i was less impressed with mpg and the japanese engine and looked fondly at our northern neighbor, canada. in my garage i have cars i love and it seems they all end up discontinued. love my 1967 mini cooper, but, not so much the new one. my 1943 kubelwagen and model A. even the fiat 500 , the oldie but goodie. all were soon discontinued. had i never gotten a smart in america, no doubt smarts would be produced forever.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

i loved driving my smart in europe. it was my commuter as this one is in america. i drive much longer and further than it's intended purpose, if that is city only. i did same with my mini's. but, one thing we can agree on. mercedes screwed it up.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:52 AM

Thanked 1,220 Times in 866 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
The only way smart will ever be popular in NA. If it would manufacturer a small crossover. EVís are here to stay. Their not going away. Every car company is jumping on the band wagon. Offering them. EV driving range, is increasing. Cost will come down, on them. With public demand. 10 years from now, EV's will phase out ice vehicles. There isnít any real need for a small niche ICE vehicle here. That uses premium fuel. Itís Fuel economy isnít that great. Beside the current smart EV limited driving range. The smart EV is superior to its ICE counter part. Performance wise. Charge time is faster, better battery technology. No maintance. No polluting.

I would have bought a forfour smart EV, if the battery range was around 150 miles. The mistake MB made, not offering something like that here.
The Following User Says Thank You to smark For This Useful Post:
VulcanizedCrawler (04-20-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode