smart gas engines forever - Page 2 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
mercedes has made lots & lots & lots of mistakes with the smart in America, less in Canada.... and i have written to them about them. funny they never respond. i have pointed out a few in prior messages. none the less, i have mine and im happy....as long as parts are available. not to worry, i have parts for my 1929 model A ford ,90 yrs after production, and for my 1967 mini cooper, 52 yrs later....as well as the fiat 500, 56 yrs and counting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

i forgot to mention the citroen 2cv....when they stop making internal combustion engines, the only thing that could bring me to a halt is the lack of gas.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

i forgot to add that mercedes should force their dealers to sell smart cars. i have a mbz dealer 2 miles away, but, have to travel 70 for a smart car dealer. stupid stupid stupid. in 1949 the guy that imported jags, made every dealer sell vw bugs and they caught fire. mercedes has missed so many opportunities to make the smart the icon forever. there is still time if the new mercedes ceo has the cojones to do what should have been done in america back in 2008. wake up mercedes and smell the tiquila....vw built the bug in mexico too. how about alabama? anywhere but france.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:38 AM

Thanked 1,073 Times in 697 Posts
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Garage
What's wrong with France? And I think the smart ship has sailed in North America. Even among my work colleagues, the typical vehicle ten years ago was a Camry or Corolla, and today it's an extended cab 4x4 pickup or huge SUV.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

less expensive in alabama or mexico. saying mbz loses 8k per car, time to cut costs. nothing wrong with france. just money cut time. but, you maybe right. the ship has sailed when the cut the gas engine, never brought in the diesel engine and never forced mbz dealers they had to take smarts and service them. penske wasnt the answer.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:42 AM

Thanked 1,232 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
I really can see smart loosing $8K on their ICE vehicles. My smart car, cost $14.5k. Were they just given them away. Thats got to apply to the EV’s. Fiat looses that much on every 500e they sell.

Why would the smart brand build their cars in Mexico? The majority of them are sold in Europe, and Asia. The join plan in China, makes more sense. Especially going the EV route.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:54 AM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,647 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Honestly, it's completely irrelevant where smart builds their cars if they don't have everything else under control. MB's problem has always been that they spent more money developing and fixing the cars than they made back. This was the problem that also plagued the Toyota iQ, but at least Toyota killed off that experiment before it cost them too much money. I take it tiny city cars cost a ton of money to develop compared to the sales you can expect to get for them.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

if they are losing 8k per yr on sale of each car in usa, get close to the buyer and less expensive in mexico. and perhaps sell to the central american and south american markets. china is a great idea too, as they reportedly love the smart. im looking for a usa solution. alas, me thinks it is too late. i would have brought in the roadster and stolen some of the market from miata. woulda shoulda coulda....but, mbz missed the bus when they didnt ''make '' their usa dealers sell smarts......jag was forced to in 1949 to take the vw bug, one per dealership....they squaked, but, you see where that went.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:48 PM

Thanked 1,232 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
MB made the mistake not offering the forfour here. I’m not crazy about the styling, compared to the Twingo. The Chevrolet Spark, is similar in size. 30 mpg city, 38 mpg highway. Starts at $13.500. Chevrolet sell 28k to 34k units a year. Their are more Chevy dealers, then MB one. Your not paying for high price MB service. The Chevy Spark offers Apple CarPlay Android auto, tilt wheel, on Star.

It doesn’t matter where the smart car, is built. There’s just no demand, for a niche 2 seat city car. The Miata, is a world class sport car. If MB built the same thing for smart. It be $60k. If I were to buy the next best Roadster on the market. It be a Fiat 124, running on the Miata platform. Abarth power plant.
Miss Mercedes likes this.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

WELL where they are made was 'one' of many solutions. which is a big one with $$$labor. fixing other problems is required for sure....reliability is key. not selling at the mercedes network is another huge mistake. i use a 70 yr old example with jag and the vw bug introduced into america. but, without fixes it dies. i have to assume it is gone. i kinda knew that when they went all electric and i went to drive one and got 57 miles and the battery ran out.....43 miles short of the advertised 100. ...which was way low to be competitive. (at least without a back up ice) 20 yrs was a good run, RIP...i enjoyed the two i leased in germany in 98 thr 04. a gas one and then the diesel. great fun. i finally came back to america to retire and got the 2009 ten yrs late, with 12,000 miles on the odometer....so im happy. now ill look for a smilar low mile cabrio and only have to worry about parts. six yrs in germany i never had a smart break. hope my luck runs the same again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« Hello | New Member »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode