LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:15 PM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,648 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Let's say it like this. Ford and GM are currently laying off thousands of employees and/or killing car models because not enough people are buying them. Building a vehicle in the US or Mexico at a low price is pointless if the vehicle you're offering isn't desirable.

Ford is killing off every single one of their cars (save for the Mustang) and instead will only sell trucks, crossovers, and SUVs in the USA. They're slowly phasing out cars in Europe as well. Most manufacturers know by now that to survive you have to have a crossover or SUV in your lineup. Even manufacturers like Lamborghini and Porsche do this because they know that's where the money is. You could also survive if you're a legendary nameplate. It seems only Japanese brands can sell small cars in good numbers here. MB could have taken a shot at Japanese small cars by giving us the forfour, but we all know how that went.

And in fairness, even smart understood this back in 2005-2005. Meet the smart formore. This was the car that the US was supposed to get, but it never reached production as smart was liquidated before the plant in Brazil could start building the cars.

If smart wants to survive in the US, they already know the solution. But for whatever reason MBUSA didn't seem to care. And again, all of this is now irrelevant as production and engineering is moving into the hands of Geely in China. If they could bring Volvo back from the brink I'm excited for what they have in store for smart.
Smart Bob and smark like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miss Mercedes For This Useful Post:
smark (04-22-2019), VulcanizedCrawler (04-22-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
In the hands of the Chinese, I expect a turnaround. They’re buying up stuff to take over in respect to world dominance. They have the resources to make it happen.

Had a supposedly spying Chinese Huawei Ascend Mate 2 phone. I didn’t even care if the rumor was true I was so happy with it...
The Following User Says Thank You to jzchen For This Useful Post:
VulcanizedCrawler (04-22-2019)
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
china will make them cheap with their slave priced labor and if they put a normal key rather than 400 dollar fob, i might buy one...then again, i can fill my garages up with them at prices now days with low miles and not care. RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

ok ok ok, i get the message....dont try to revive a dead patient.....so is anyone planning the wake?
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Have you seen any of the Chinese Sentury Tire videos? The actual manufacturing portion looks fully automated, only stations/platforms with monitors for people to watch. Can’t even say slave labor with that kind of plant:

https://youtu.be/EDc1_ZtZAsA
The Following User Says Thank You to jzchen For This Useful Post:
VulcanizedCrawler (04-22-2019)
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

not slave labor, slave waged labor, but, even that is ending as china's form of commie capitalism has created a 600 million middle class. i did buy some chinese tires that came unglued. a friend bot some carbon-60 powder that was not what he paid for, alibaba did reimburse him. i also have a 1939 typ 62 kubelwagen in the garage, who's labor in making that is suspect. in any case. china has 1.5 billion people. they need to employee them. we on the other hand need lettuce pickers still as we havent gotten mechanized to that degree. however, with mcdoubles going from 1.49 last week to 1.99....i suspect the kiosks will be activated to create more unemployed there, where minimum wage is no longer affordable, so they can go to the lettuce fields. as for smart. i'll cry a river...seriously.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 04:10 PM

Thanked 1,232 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanizedCrawler View Post
ok ok ok, i get the message....dont try to revive a dead patient.....so is anyone planning the wake?
Life support failed. MB skipped the wake. The smart brand been buried here.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

first smart factory 4.0
omg was that a clue or what?
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:45 PM
aka 'smart-1'

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smark View Post
The Chevrolet Spark, is similar in size. 30 mpg city, 38 mpg highway. Starts at $13.500. Chevrolet sell 28k to 34k units a year. Their are more Chevy dealers then MB one. Your not paying for high price MB service. The Chevy Spark offers Apple CarPlay Android auto, tilt wheel, on Star.

Plus a spare tire and it runs on regular, a big plus living in California
The trunk is the same size as my old smart, but I gained a back seat...
smark likes this.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

owning a smart is the first time in 40 years i am back in a car cult. when in the 60s and earl 70s i drove my original mini's ....when we saw another we would not just wave, but, pull over the chat about our cars. owning a smart, this same thing has happened on a smaller scale in my new old smart. at stop lights windows come down and we yell back and forth ''i have an 09 smart with 80k miles''. i have the same yr with 12k miles. we both want to get a cabrio. only cars i have that gather more attention is the '29 ford roadster or the 1939 kubelwagen...but, not a cult. just admiration of some sort. smart is a cult.
Smart Bob likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« Hello | New Member »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode