post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,648 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Test Drive Checklist

From what I've gathered from other members is that you could take delivery, drive all the way home, and find out that there's something wrong with your car.

This thread could help to keep you from returning to the dealer because you and/or the salesperson had missed something.

To start, this works best if the car you're test driving is the smart you plan on buying.

What you'll need:

A Compact Disc (music)

A music player and a AUX line

Anything that you might want in the car to test (capacities, could the dog fit, etc.)

Before you get in:

1. walk around the smart and look at it up close, you're looking for imperfections with the outside of the car. Such as but not limited to: scatches and dents in the Tridion Cell, missing/broken body parts/panels, paint imperfections. Also look for chips on the body from previous test drives (if it's an Orphan). Are the tires inflated?

Passion coupes - Check the panorama roof along the line where it meets the Tridion Cell. If it appears uneven in an area or more than one, it may have lifted. You could press your fingers on the corners just a bit and if the roof travels a bit before hitting an object, it may have lifted.

Additionally you want to check the roof for scratches, crazing, cracks, and if it is curved inward (like it has been sat on)

Passion cabriolets - Check the soft top for imperfections such as tears or discoloring. Make sure the mini wind deflector is on the top of the windshield.

As you enter the car:

2. Look for imperfections in the interior such as cracked leather seats, wet carpet (leak?), torn or discolored fabrics, appearance of interior items, etc:

Passion coupes - Once again check your roof, but this time you may want to look for just scratches, crazing, and cracks.

Passion cabriolets - Check the soft top again for water ingress, discoloring of fabric, tears, etc. Additionally you want to check where the top meets the Tridion Cell bars and windshield and look for signs of water ingress and/or if it's closed properly.

Before you leave on the test drive:

3. Honk the horn (it may not work, might happen!)

While on the test drive:

4. Request to go on both high speed roads and low speed roads if possible

5. For the first few minutes you really want to feel the car; how responsive it is, acceleration, ride quality, etc.

6. Throughout the drive you want to listen to how the car sounds. Are there any rattles, clanks, bumps or shakes? Does the engine sound like it's in normal operation? (no stalling, abnormal noises)

Passion coupes - Even when the windows are closed does it sound like one of them is cracked a bit? If does sound so the roof my be lifting.

Passion cabriolets - Does it sound like wind's getting in from somewhere around the roof? It could be not be correctly closed.

7. Test the A/C, it should work pretty well (small car)

When you arrive at the dealer:

7. Test the car's gadgets (wipers, lights, heater)

8. Test the radio out. Does the C/D player work? Does the AUX jack work? Are all speakers working properly? Be sure to see if the AM works as some report a weak AM signal in their smart.

This could help you from returing to the dealer for a fix that could otherwise be fixed on site that day.

P.S. Could this be a sticky in the newbie section?

Last edited by Miss Mercedes; 09-08-2009 at 01:21 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miss Mercedes For This Useful Post:
BigWarpGuy (12-05-2013), HAShirley (04-12-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Bring your luggage. . .

Only a little tongue in cheek here, but there have been a lot of discussions/questions about capacity. As I've said before, a luggage store owner once told me to go ahead and buy the bag I was considering, take it home and pack it for a trip. If it didn't work, bring it back before it has gone on the road or before I find, to my disappointment, it doesn't hold what I need to take with me.

That's a little harder to do with a car and, in most cases, you aren't looking at luggage or other carrying capacity unless you already have some unusual needs. (My sister in law is a massotherapist and has to transport her portable table.) Why not throw a few of your biggest pieces of luggage in the back of your soon-to-be-ex-ride and check out the Smart. You may be pleasantly surprised.
The Following User Says Thank You to PerryA For This Useful Post:
HAShirley (04-12-2012)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
should you also bring a pressure hose to check for leaky roofs and seals????
you know you can bring it back a week later and have them fix anything mechanical that you might have missed on the delivery inspection....even the painted panels can be removed and changed in a matter of an hour or so. BUT inspection for scratches on the trideon cell IS important to do before you even sign the dotted line as those are not easy to fix at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sato7 View Post
should you also bring a pressure hose to check for leaky roofs and seals????
you know you can bring it back a week later and have them fix anything mechanical that you might have missed on the delivery inspection....even the painted panels can be removed and changed in a matter of an hour or so. BUT inspection for scratches on the trideon cell IS important to do before you even sign the dotted line as those are not easy to fix at all.
But remember, if it's a part like panels or roofs you may have to wait until the dealer gets them in stock. Possibly leaving you with some downtime unless if you get a loaner.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Our new members would probably gain good insight from this thread?
More to add:

Check for 2.0+ Update

1. While you're driving (in Automatic Mode), hit the Upshift paddle (the right side paddle). If the display goes from "D" to a number (and/or shifts gears), then you have the 2.0 firmware or higher.

Keys

1. Make sure you get two of them, it's way too expensive to replace them.

Transmission

1. This is a big one. Try shifting into each gear selection. It should immediately change into the selected gear. If it stays in the previous gear for too long (like going from "P" to "R" etc.), shows three horizontal bars, or just shows an "N" no matter what, there could be a problem with the transmission.

Records

1. It's always nice to know what's happened to the car. If its mileage is over 30k then you'd definitely want to know if the valves had been adjusted and spark plugs changed.

Hoses

1. Try to see if they're leaking or in poor condition, or have had some botched repair.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 02:39 PM
happy smarting (Mod emeritus)
SCOA Club

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonspinnazz View Post
P.S. Could this be a sticky in the newbie section?
done.

Any post in this thread needs to be related to test-driving the smart.

will add:

1. Don't forget the donuts in an empty parking lot...how tight can you make your donut? to the right then the left... then figure 8's...might as well have some fun with the test drive.

2. join SCoA full membership to get the most!

3. refer questions about a used smart to this sticky:
https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...y-smart-35881/
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Question, is there anything to do that will tell me if the car has been in accident even though the CARFAX/Autocheck doesn't reflect it?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there any way to know if the body panels have been replaced?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
When I removed my rear bumper to install my exhaust I found a build date engraved in the plastic. It matched the build date of the car.

I wouldn't be too concerned with a car that could have had its panels replaced. Sometimes people get tired of one colour and want another. Or, perhaps the old ones got scratched, or bumped, or were degrading road rash, stone chips, or whatever.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you are thinking about buying a smart but do not like the looks of it than do not test drive it. you will fall in love with it and find yourself driving it home.it does not feel like a small car at all.I bought mine to tow behind motorhome was not sure untill i drove it , I LOVE IT!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to duck143 For This Useful Post:
chieftmc (12-04-2013), jwight (12-04-2013), Miss Mercedes (12-04-2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode