Smart Car of America Forum banner

The Un-Nationals

63K views 288 replies 43 participants last post by  Kermit 
#1 · (Edited)
Some tried Daytona, but the response was just to slow.
Others did a surveys of where and when to go.
Unless there is a better idea of where and when it should be.
The solution is so simple, spring in the Florida Keys!
Here you can watch a sunset, with sand between your toes.
Everyday is perfect, in the land that never snows.
Reservations will be easy at Mom and Pop hotels.
None of them too pricey, comparable to the Dells.
Many things to do, and lots of things to see
Ocean views abound, while your driving through the Keys.
So if you have the time, come on down and visit.
The drinks here are strong, the seafood quite exquisite.

Some will find the distance, just to far to drive.
Mine made it to Kansas.
And then back to here alive.
Remorse will be felt, for all who can not go.
This will surely be, one spectacular show.

Simple is what we need, and I think this would be fun.
Climate here is perfect, for soaking up the sun.
Remember to pack lightly, when visiting the islands.
Average temp is 80, flip flops here are styling.
Many of you will find, this place a paradise.
Beautiful and calming, the people here so nice.
Life, as you know, can sometimes seem so short.
Enjoy it if you please, and drive down in your smart.

After long consideration I am going to jump in and try to organize a Fla Keys run. With the cancellation of a few other events I think I'll give it a try. I'm not going to try and get any sponsorship or make this really complicated. There will be no goody bags or registration fees. I may do a small run of shirts if enough interest is shown. I have a friend working on a logo now. The middle Keys have many affordable small Mom and Pop owned hotels. I will be listing a few and I am in contact about a group rate. We also have the Dolphin Research Center. It is a non profit organization that does daily shows. I am pretty sure I can get a discounted rate for smart owners. If you would like to swim with them I will leave that booking up to you. For those of you not familiar with the DRC, it is where they filmed the T.V. series Flipper. A few of the dolphins who live there are direct descendants of the dolphins who played Flipper. We also have very affordable fishing boats. My favorite one has four hour trips for around $50.00 including rods.There is a big sunset celebration every night in Key West. And the weekend I have chosen corresponds with my car clubs monthly meet. That time of year we will probably have 60 to 80 cars not including the smarts. In the next few days I will post a bunch of links to local events and destinations. We can do this, it will just have to be a little more casual than most you mainlanders are used to.

The dates I have choosen are from Thurs. March 15th, to Sunday the 18th.

Any interest? If it stays small great, If it gets big great. This place is worth visiting at least once in your life.

Im thinking of calling it "The Southernmost Smart Scramble", Sounds like something from Denny's.

See less See more
#8 ·
Sorry to hear that. Won't be the same with out you.

Sounds like a great idea the keys. Is that close to smart-ta-ritaville and a shaker of salt i'll be thirsty after the drive down.
As Mr. Buffet says...... The weathers here, wish you were beautiful.

Cool Idea Krusty, if you have questions and want some help let me know and I can see what I can do.
Thanks for the offer of help. I'm going to try and make this thing real easy. I will put together a list of activities we can all enjoy at a reasonable cost. And once I get the responses from the hotels, I will list their web sites and phone numbers. We try to keep things laid back and slow down here. I have found over planning can cause confusion when weather or something else changes a set schedule. With today's phones and and communications options, we can all be flexible and easily contacted if plans change.

#9 ·
Hey Krusty,

If you are as talented at organizing an event as you are rhyming, it should be a great event ! :D

I had a vacation in the Key's before, and it is an AMAZING place ! Unbelievable beauty ! So, I can not imagine a better a better destination ! The only way it could be equalled, is to drive to Hawaii ! (I hear Smarts float?)

I would not miss it for anything ! If I can lend a hand, just shout !

#14 ·
I don't know what this "Winter Blues" is that some of you speak. :confused:
It did snow in Miami & the Bahamas in 1977 ... the only time since records began a century and a half ago. So, I'd say snow in the Keys is possible, although a very rare possibility.

That 1977 snow wasn't in March though. Shucks. :p

It's a 1,500 mile round trip, even if I don't take the detours I usually take when I'm on a long drive. :eek: I've lived in Florida most of my life and have never made it south of Miami Beach (39 years ago).

Hey, it might be interesting! Can't yet commit though.

#15 ·
Wise Floridians from the mainland flock to the Keys on steamy weekends because the air is usually a few degrees cooler here. The water temperature might be in the mid-80s (30° C) but the sea is nevertheless refreshing for swimming, snorkeling or diving. In the winter, cold fronts can bring frost to mainland Florida, but you can be sure there will be no frost here. The all-time record low for Key West is 41° F (5° C) set in 1981. Divers or snorkelers usually get by with a "shortie" wet suit. We are in thre tropics, no frost. The water stays to warm for it to happen.

Brought to you by The Fla. Keys and Key West Tourism council.

#16 ·
Yep, I'm aware of the maritime moderation effect. Similarly, snow on the Oregon coastline is uncommon, in spite of sharing its latitude with Minneapolis and Toronto. And, it usually enjoys "Dog Days" of Summer temperatures in the 60s.

Dash to the Keys to cool off (or warm up). I can dig it. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.