Smart Car Forums

Smart Car Forums (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/)
-   Watkins Glen July 2012 (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f207/)
-   -   Post-Race Watkins Glen Wrap-Up (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f207/post-race-watkins-glen-wrap-up-45518/)

SkippyThorson 07-14-2012 01:55 PM

Post-Race Watkins Glen Wrap-Up

OH MY GOD!!! HOW UNBELIEVABLY COOL WAS THAT!?!?!

I had a TON of fun, and I hope everyone else did too!

I'd like to thank Brand Experience and Marketing guru Kristen for sending free goodies! I wanted to surprise everyone - I was shipped Smart tote bags, tshirts, white and black hats, keychains, and the big prize, 1:18 scale diecast Smarts. :D Best part, everyone got at least one of everything, including the diecast Smarts!

A certain someone should have received a black flag for passing!!! I actually thought it was hysterical. :p The official said the pace car driver walkied her and said he was surprised we were really keeping such speed. They said it was going to be 55mph - I think that was our speed in the turns. :wink:

2 minor glitches; one of the organizers said that we would all be paying $35 for the weekend. (Why would I have opted for $35 when $25 was offered? That got me a little steamed after the fact.) The other was we only did 2 laps instead of the planned (and advertised) 3 laps - but they were free to us, so I can't complain at all.

I am SO THRILLED with the event, and I'd love to see it grow next year. :) I'll be posting pictures soon, and hopefully everyone else would like to share! Thank you all so much, and I hope everyone had a good time!

I'd like to start planning for 2013 soon. Keep tuning in. :)

SNAPHU 07-16-2012 05:41 AM

:smartje: Fun at the Glen, I hope it well grow in the future. Thanks to Skip for putting the event together. Two laps are better then none. :burnout:

jwight 07-16-2012 07:11 AM

Good stuff! Sorry I missed it but looking forward to the next one. :cool:

SkippyThorson 07-16-2012 08:05 AM

Dave, I appreciate that you took the time out to record and share the experience!

I had a very expensive dash mount for video... :p I have this long iPhone holder with a suction cup. I rubber-band-ed the iPhone into the holder, and laid it on the dash. The iPhone ended up pointing at the sky... Darnit... My mother eagerly volunteered to come when my other half couldn't make it, so she co-piloted and has camera video, which I'll upload soon. :)

(I'm trying to work out how to post photos into an album, but it isn't cooperating. I keep going back to the album section of my profile and not into the actual album. Eh. I'll figure it out.)

I'll certainly have to work more with Watkins Glen and with Smart, and I'll get this to expand next year. I'm excited to go back! Would anyone oppose paying a little bit for maybe 5 laps? :D

dgreen17 07-16-2012 10:53 AM

Skippy---

just 5 laps? if we get more, then maybe we can do the driver change in pit row....
or maybe we could do the long track (more hairpin turns!)

forestacademy 07-16-2012 01:03 PM

So what was your top speed allowed on that track?

dgreen17 07-16-2012 01:12 PM

our stated max was 55 mph.
most of the time we were in the 45-50 range.
(we had to stay behind the pace car and no passing allowed)

SkippyThorson 07-16-2012 01:58 PM

There was a point where we hung back at the rear because the Camaro behind us had trailed back. Someone, unnamed, hung further back and passed me. :eek: We may or may not have had a good drag race going. :p

Good point. I'm going to have to see what we could get out of the deal. I'm sure if we had a big enough crowd willing to pay, they'd let us have more.

nconantj 07-16-2012 05:06 PM

Yeah, and didn't one of the pace drivers call in that he was surprised that we were keeping up?

I would go for 5 laps... I WILL have my own camera for next year.

I was one of the wusses... next year, I think I'll be better. I've only been driving a smart daily for 3 months, in traffic :( on very straight roads :( and little time before this week to get into some really nice curvy roads :(.

SNAPHU 07-16-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nconantj (Post 523265)
Yeah, and didn't one of the pace drivers call in that he was surprised that we were keeping up?

I would go for 5 laps... I WILL have my own camera for next year.

I was one of the wusses... next year, I think I'll be better. I've only been driving a smart daily for 3 months, in traffic :( on very straight roads :( and little time before this week to get into some really nice curvy roads :(.

:megaphone: Get Thee to a winding county road and drive it like you stole it. :angelanddevil: We'll check for improvement next year