Smart Car of America Forum banner

$26K smart car

4K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  jzchen 
#1 ·
I know it a Brabus, a Cabio. But close to $26K. Your into base Miata and Fiat 124 territory. I wonder if that smart car, has the upgraded navigation sound system. There's no interior shots, on line. Does the Brabus model, have the same engine as the base car? Never thought, I'd see a smart car cost that much here.

See less See more
#6 ·
It's a Prime and it's LOADED. There are only 4 with the Brabus package in the United States, right now, on the ground. We have 6 model year 2017 cabriolets on the ground, and a few Brabus cabriolets waiting at the vpc. No rush to bring them in as we still have over 10 model year 2016's to sell off first. No rush to flood the lot with 17's.

Best deals right now are on the clearance '16's.

#8 · (Edited)
The sticker price on my loaded (every option I could order except the nav radio) 2015 451 Convertible (not Brabus) was $23,100.00 so $25,700.00 for a loaded 2017 453 doesn't surprise me.

Base Cabriolet $17,930
Silver Metallic Paint $250
Crystal Grey Leather $1,450
Surround Sound $490
Center Storage $30
Luggage Cover $99
Brabus Wheels $550
Heated Seats $240
Alarm $200
Power Steering $550
Dash Gauges $120
LED Running Lamps $250
Ambient Lighting $190
Destination Charge $750

Not included in the above were new smart purchases at the parts counter of a Brabus front splitter, Brabus rear diffuser, wind deflector with Euro style end caps, Brabus pedal covers, and a Brabus steering wheel. Probably another $1000 or so.

If I remember correctly the navigation radio was a $1200 option. So if you add up all of the above (with nav) you're at $25,300.00 for a loaded 2015 451 that isn't even a complete Brabus.

The numbers add up fast when you start adding factory options. I did negotiate a substantial discount and I made money on my 2008 451 cabriolet trade, so I didn't pay anywhere near the list price.

#10 ·
Anybody interested in that car, don't mess around and play games. There won't be another one like it, ever again. Gas is out of production, and there are very few 2017's of any variety waiting in the pipelines. Especially Brabus. I don't even believe there will be more than probably 50 to 75 BRABUS models coupe+cabrio available for all dealerships combined. It's nearly a wrap already.

#14 ·
If smart imported the car that I attached to my previous post I'd have no problem paying, even a premium, for it. But until then I just can't bring myself to make the trade. The current models available in the USA do not appeal to me. I know the 453 is mechanically superior, but I have no issues with my 451. How much better does it need to be if you are happy with what you have and the new model is ugly in your eyes?

Smart has always had their head in their aish when it comes to the USA market.

#15 ·
To pay a premium for matte paint on ANY vehicle? No thanks. I have a career in auto body and auto repair. Matte paint is just going to be a disaster to maintain and repair. Matte paint and matte black wheels are the biggest scam to hit consumers since magnetic fuel economy enhancers.

"Let's use matte paint to hide our defects and then charge those idiots a premium for it." Doesn't anyone remember having a POS rusty dented beater car and painting it in matte primer to make it look better?

#29 ·
If you arent an experienced enough auto body repair shop to deal with matte paint cars then you DEF shouldnt try. It takes an experienced shop to handle this kind of paint, and know how to match it.

Im not sure what peoples beef is with the matte paint.. I couldnt be happier with mine. Its super resilient to scuffs and scratches as well as rock chips. Way more so than the gloss painted finishes. You arent supposed to wax it..... like any car these days. Ive always been told not to wax any car ive had, so the matte is no different. I use a self-spray car wash to wash mine sometimes, and by hand at home sometimes... same as with my gloss cars. At home I use a microfider towel to wipe it down with... no problems there. I even used those same cloths to wipe off overspray plasti dip and when i removed my plasti dip bra.. no problems there. If I ever get a sizeable ding that needs to be 'touched up' ill have that panel repainted, no big deal. I already had my grille painted the color of the car and it looks great. So, Im not sure why everyone is having such a panic attack over the matte color.

And the guy comparing a Smart to his Elantra (laughable).... You take ur LOVELY little Elantra and leave us with our Smarts. :D

Attachments

#16 ·
To be honest, a fully loaded 451 with the same paint and similar options is only a couple grand south of this Brabus. The price does tend to leap pretty far for pretty much any modern car once you start checking those option boxes. :(

My nearly base passion coupe 451 (it had the optional wheels and optional paint, that's it) was $16,200 on the Monroney, and my edition #1 is somewhere south of $20k...which imo is pretty good for a limited launch edition car. :)

With that out of the way. Is the matte paint on the 453s like the paint used on the matte 451s?

While I love the matte smarts their official upkeep is hilarious. No automatic washes (especially ones that touch the car), no wax, no abrasive cleaners, no scrubbing, don't wash it in the sun, no to some common car washing chemicals (like the active agents in spot free rinses), gotta clean any organic matter off immediately or else you'll get permanent damage, good luck getting a touch-up in the event of scratches, and questionable longevity in states that use salt.

- For the record, that's something you have to deal with any matte car, but still. :eek:

#17 ·
This car has the "Brabus Tailor Made" grey top. It is quite simply the only car in America with the grey top. Laugh if ya want, talk about Mazda's and Fiat's all you want. But those vehicles are a dime a dozen, this one is not.

If you're interested in it, don't dilly dally. Get it now. The other day I checked and there were 4 Brabus cabriolets on the ground in the United States. Well today there are only 3. :nerd:

#18 ·
I totally agree. If you are going to buy something it might as well be something unique. It will definitely help at resale time, if not in more value, it might make for a quicker sale. Maybe both.

However, there is not enough uniqueness in that car to inspire me to step up and pay that price.

#19 ·
Silly. Our new 2017 Elantra will run away from, and out handle, our 2015 smart, and got 44.6 mpg on a recent jaunt to Ohio. I've had three smarts, like 'em a lot, but that is crazy money for one, when there are LOTS of options that have twice the warranty at 7 or 8K less in price.

#22 ·
Well..... Car and Driver wrote about the 2009 Brabus smart and it went for $17,990 for the coupe and $20,990 for the cabrio. I suspect the cargo cover and Bluetooth handsfree audio systems were optional so it was probably starting to get up to $21,500ish.

2009 Smart Fortwo Brabus - Auto Shows - Car and Driver

Mister_smart_LA, if I pm'd you my vin could you pull up my original build and options pricing? I got the vin decoded but doesn't list options such as the bluetooth.

#23 ·
Well..... Car and Driver wrote about the 2009 Brabus smart and it went for $17,990 for the coupe and $20,990 for the cabrio. I suspect the cargo cover and Bluetooth handsfree audio systems were optional so it was probably starting to get up to $21,500ish.

2009 Smart Fortwo Brabus - Auto Shows - Car and Driver

Mister_smart_LA, if I pm'd you my vin could you pull up my original build and options pricing? I got the vin decoded but doesn't list options such as the bluetooth.
2009 is too old, the data isn't archived from the Penske transition. You can try some folks in your local service department, maybe their databases will provide information.

#37 ·
Parts departments have access to Mercedes EPC. This is the source for the vehicle data cards. Used to be a free subscription, but now paid @ $75/year IIRC. May be the one you linked does the same, but it seems to be a third party site....

epc.startekinfo.com

For factory service info it is

www.smarttekinfo.com

That gets you repair/service instructions VIN specific plus access to EPC, but will set you back $60/day or discounted /day for multi-day passes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.