LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaldes View Post
I don't know if this applies at all to a 453, but, FWIW, a number of the 2008 451's, mine included, had a similar problem. In nearly all of the cases it was caused by a faulty interior motion sensor.
My 451 also had this issue, because the sensor was initially "put in upside down".

The motion sensor is also notorious for going off if/when frost forms on the sensor. Because of its location, it's rather susceptible to attracting moisture from the near by carpet or from the channel of air that flows past it. If that moisture settles on the sensor and then crystallizes, as those form, the sensor "detects motion" and goes off. Unfortuantely it's a royal PITA to wipe the sensor off and/or keep the car from collecting tons of water in the winter when there's snow.

This still happens occasionally with my 451, since snowy boots track moisture in. Usually it's several hours after parking, since the interior takes that long to hit freezing. The only real solution is to hit the button every time when it's going to go above/below freezing.

When I purchased by ED, I explicitly did NOT get the car alarm package as to explicitly not have to deal with this issue in the new car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
I do not know if this car has a motion sensor. There is no button to disable for towing and I've tried violently rocking the car back and forth when it's been off and locked and it never made a peep.
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Alarm goes off for no reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveSpeed View Post
Based on this it couldn't be a micro switch. There has to be something in the smart's brain that switches on 4 hours after it's parked to check something and this is tripping the alarm.

My thought is far-fetched... but the coincidence is too strong not to mention:

The "from Start" statistical auto-reset (h, mi, mph, mpg) in the main dash pod will reset to –0.00– at precisely a 4-hour interval, if the car has not been restarted.

Could there be some interconnectivity?

(Edit: I really like that the OP is simply looking for a solution, and is not a whiner. (See gas threads if you don't get my point.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate your idea... I will have to discuss this with the service advisor.

Last night I drove the car and parked it and 4 hours later it went wacko.

Tonight I just started it but did not drive it. I will see if that makes any difference. Either the alarm will go off at midnight or 2am. Then I will know if driving it makes any difference. I cannot verify if it goes off when I'm at work as my car is too far away from me.

And you are right! Page 112 of the owner's manual:

“Complaining does not work as a strategy. We all have finite time and energy. Any time we spend whining is unlikely to help us achieve our goals. And it won't make us happier.” ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

I may have solved this. I thought about all the possible locations for sensors to get tripped and decided the ones for the "hood" would be most likely because it's the least sturdy area.

I removed my hood and put it back on and locked it (something I had never done). Oddly, 30 and 35 minutes later the alarm did go off for no reason I could detect but - most importantly - 4 hours later it did not go off and I slept through the night.

I think stevenvillatoro is right... 4 hours after being parked the car "wakes up" and resets itself and runs a quick system check and maybe then it detected something with one of the hood sensors. I hoped that by locking the hood it exerted a little more force towards keeping it shut.
stevenvillatoro likes this.
post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

So nothing is working. I drove the car and parked it and it still went off at 12:15 AM even though it had been less than 4 hours parked.

Per the manual, pulling Fuse 7 deactivates the alarm... and the horn, sadly. So until I can get it fixed I'll have to pull the fuse each night when I park and put it back in before driving to work.

It's very tough getting the fuse cover in the glovebox open.
post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 02:28 PM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,788 Times in 3,506 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Might need to change the thread title to "Alarm goes off for a reason we haven't identified yet"....
FiveSpeed likes this.
post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

I like your optimism. At this point, I wish I could share it.

I removed the fuse... not only is the cover extremely tough to get off but you have to have the hands of a 5 year old to reach it. Now the alarm can go off but there is no horn beeping... of course there is no horn at all as it's been disabled.

Last edited by FiveSpeed; 02-28-2016 at 03:22 PM.
post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
If you can find the pins/sensors, maybe you can tape them down. Possibly the plastic panel is expanding/shrinking just enough from thermal change to set them off?
post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Alarm goes off for no reason

This may seem like a silly idea, but why not give this problem to the service department?

Isn't it their job to pull fuses for you?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode