Alarm goes off for no reason - Page 8 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have a 2008 smart and the alarm goes off whenever the temperature gets really hot or really cold...i have also seen it alarm itself repeatedly for over 2 hours...i can't press the unlock button on my key fob and open the door fast enough before it has relocked and alarmed itself...but i think my car is cursed because head and taillights last about a month and then burn out, and my car has eaten all the CD's in the factory installed changer and will not play them or eject them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 11:31 AM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Had a client with 4 smarts, one of which had the alarm issue. We just fixed it in our service department within an hour. Easy remedy, I recommend you bring the vehicle in to your service department after having first checked to make sure the doors, rear hatch/tailgate, and especially the front hood flap is completely closed.
Smart Bob likes this.
post #73 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:15 PM

I have taken my Smart to the Baltimore Smart Service twice for this random alarm going off which started after I moved cross country and my Smart was put on the auto carrier. Their "solution", after charging me the full diagnostic fee - was to put a new battery in the key fob. Drove it back home and of course the alarm still randomly turns on. Drove it back to the service center the next week, not even going to repeat the BS I got this time. I've lived in three major cities - and this is the first Smart dealership that apparently can't read.... As looking for myself today I found this. Assume the auto carrier fooled with it to turn it off and loosened it up. Since I am now am living in Baltimore and don't want to repeat these cross town trips to the service center to be treated like a goldfish - time for a new not-smart car.

Last edited by alc_smart; 03-26-2019 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spell check
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:17 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,992 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
My 09 smart Cabrio would intermittently alarm, usually in the wee hours or in high wind conditions. It turned out to be the microswitch in the tailgate needed to be adjusted. They "adjusted it" I drove home two hours away and tried to lock the car and set the alarm. I couldn't even lock the car when I got home. I took apart the tailgate and found the lever on the tailgate to no longer be a straight metal actuator but one that was now bent into a rainbow shaped curve. Nothing at all like original equipment manufacture. Being a Biomed tech, I have worked on electromechanical equipment full of similar microswitches with straight metal blade actuators used to operate the microswitch. I reformed the bent actuator and positioned it to detect a properly closed tailgate assembly, and I have only had one spurious alarm since. Good luck, and I hope this helps you find your mal-adjustment in the switch on the right side of your tailgate. I had this fixed at the end of my 1-year warranty. Any contact other than the Chevrolet Dealer that had a smart center attached has never left me feeling that I was a valued customer, ever. That dealer was forced out at the purge. My nearest smart center closed, and that dealer opened a Mercedes dealer in my home town. I went to buy parts and was referred to a smart center four hours away, rudely. In spite of all that, I love my smart. I hope the good part of the information above, helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to BB Benz For This Useful Post:
alc_smart (03-26-2019)
post #75 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:51 PM

thx for the advice - but as an accountant type, I'm lucky to know how to put gas in my Smart - maintenance is way way beyond me. I have an 08 Cabrio and have been spoiled all these years with really great service centers. Sad that Smart may have to go, but my neighbors will be making that decision for me if Smart keeps up the intermittent screaming. Didn't know there were "Smart Service deserts" until I moved here. How sad - great car but without service support makes it tough. I have only seen 1 other smart since I've been in Baltimore - now I know why...
post #76 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:27 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,992 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Until I got my service done, I was able to inhibit my alarm by pressing the alarm button with the tow truck hauling a smart. It deactivated the alarm. I could still lock the car, but until I could get it serviced and then fix it myself, that button ended my spurious alarms. So try it, but lock your doors. That may end things until you get it calibrated. We all have different talents. Math is one of my deficits, but I could visualize the flow path thru a dialysis machine, and understand how mechanical things work. My landscape architect, and artist husband has a different set of vision and artistic capabilities. So, thank you for yours!
post #77 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:49 PM

Hi Steven,

I ended up in this forum because I have had the same problem with the car from the beginning, brand new. Our car is a 2016, Smart for two passion. And our service shop, the official Mercedes Benz service center, hasn't been able to fix it. Actually after "fixing it" the forst time, the car was broken into by a thief and the alarm didn't go off. The service "fixed it" again, but now is back to randomly going off . (Sighs)
post #78 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Garage
My 453 just did this for the first time in a year last week. Freaked me out. I have security-camera-doorbells; and nothing happened luckily, just a fluke I suppose. Last year I asked Smart Latham about it, and for the first time on either my 451 or 453, they didn't have an answer. Sigh. Hope this stays rare. My other solution was to leave it unlocked in the locked garage, and there it remains happy.
post #79 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:07 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,810 Times in 3,522 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
There was a service bulletin for the 453 alarm if I remember correctly. The switch under the hood required shims to get it aligned correctly.......

Found it: https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/fo...ml#post1280769

Last edited by jwight; 06-23-2019 at 08:12 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode