524Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 941 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwight View Post
Also a bad idea to run fuel up into the filler tube until it soaks the charcoal evap canister.....
Yes, agreed. But now that I know my fill capacity is 9 gallons I won't let it happen anymore. Unfortunately it took me twice to figure it out, mostly because the thing is so temperamental to fill up. The auto shut off on the pumps around here are useless on the smart, so I had to fill it manually which lead to an overfill, unfortunately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 941 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 10:38 AM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwight View Post
Also a bad idea to run fuel up into the filler tube until it soaks the charcoal evap canister.....
Very true. But your mechanical understanding of this entire process protects you from the mistake. It's good to know your tank capacity so you can use your intuition with what you believe is sitting in the tank as you compare it to the fuel you're stuffing into your tank.

The fuel shutoff is an issue that is definitely occurring. Whether or not it's an issue that is the fault of the smart car has yet to be determined. What I do know is that I have at one point or another gone past the fuel nozzle shutoff point at least once or twice and watched as fuel flowing into the tank struggles to go down.

But when it happens in the new smart, denying the initial shutoff point, allows another gallon or so to go down without any fuel backing up that I can see or smell.

The answers will eventually be found. We have a client in our service department who decided he couldn't take enough and we're taking a look. So far though the tech is saying that there is nothing functionally wrong with the car. We're replacing the fuel level sending unit so he doesn't have his missing bars, but honestly, I doubt it will make a difference.
MarcL likes this.
post #23 of 941 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 10:42 AM
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snydermann View Post
Yes, agreed. But now that I know my fill capacity is 9 gallons I won't let it happen anymore. Unfortunately it took me twice to figure it out, mostly because the thing is so temperamental to fill up. The auto shut off on the pumps around here are useless on the smart, so I had to fill it manually which lead to an overfill, unfortunately.
I haven't noticed a problem on the 2008 to 2015 models. If you believe those models give you fuel fillup issues, you haven't seen anything yet. The 2016's are guaranteed to give issues... at least with these anti-emissions nozzles we use in California.

Ours have the most sensitive nozzles, designed to shutoff if fuel vapors escape, to re-route them back into the fuel lines. My belief is that there's something going on between these Cali nozzles and the tank/neck of the 2016 smarts. Nothing I am saying is anything more than an early opinion. It's a theory until further investigation. We have a car in the shop right now, and we're replacing the fuel level sending unit so see if that makes a difference.

Technically speaking, we should stop pumping fuel once the first click shutoff on a fuel nozzle occurs because they are supposed to shutoff to prevent topping up.
Smart Bob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 941 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
the gas tank should be the same on the 451 and 453 in North Amercia. European models get a slightly smaller tank on the 543 from what I can tell on the spec sheets for the British Model.
post #25 of 941 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Up here in Canada, I'm jumping from Station to Station for each fill-up seeing if one station gives me less problems than the other. The last few fills have given me full bars showing but I'm convinced I'm not filling up to capacity as the first bar quickly runs out after about 10 or 15 miles of driving (20 or 30 km). I'm driving my car until the indicator signal is telling me 5 liters are left in my RESERVE. I was able to put 19.3 liters in during my fill-up so that should leave me with another 8 liters to fill but the pump was clicking off and all my bars were indicating full. It's a small tank to start with and I hate to spend my time at the pump filling up a small tank only 3/4 way every time. Why do we have to deal with this stupid issues. They are so irritating. This is going to be a pissing match between the smart dealership blaming the gas station pumps and me trying to tell them otherwise. RRRRRR!
post #26 of 941 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 12:49 PM
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcL View Post
This is going to be a pissing match between the smart dealership blaming the gas station pumps and me trying to tell them otherwise. RRRRRR!
Well, what do you want them to do? A car dealership does not design the car nor the fuel filler nozzles at the gas stations. The only thing your local dealership can do is alert the mothership of the 'issue' and at this time it doesn't appear that there is a design flaw in the smart.
Smart Bob likes this.
post #27 of 941 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 04:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My neighbor has a new smart too. As far as I know he does not have any fuel problems
post #28 of 941 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 05:23 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Gas gauge

Hey guys. I have had my 2011 smart for almost 3 years and after a fill up I can sometimes go almost up to 100 miles before the gas gauge even goes down 1 tick. Now in our new 453 it seems like that by the time I pull out of the gas station parking lot the gauge gas already went down. Has anyone else experienced such issues?
post #29 of 941 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 07:08 PM
SCOA Club

post #30 of 941 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
it's a much smaller tank now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode