• 1 Post By Smart Bob
  • 1 Post By keorr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Horn blows when car turned off

I recall seeing this issue on this forum over a year ago, or perhaps it was elsewhere online. But a search has not revealed it.

I have a 2016 Smart Cabriolet. Sometimes (fairly often, but irregularly) the horn starts blaring in repeated beeps when I turn the car off, stopping only after I press the unlock button on the key. The dealer appears to have ignored the issue the first time I asked them to check it (which I am assuming since they have no record of my asking them to fix the problem,) and they were unwilling to look into it during the scheduled time recently when I brought the car in for other service. (In fairness, they squeezed me in for a quick fix of another issue. I don't blame them for not being able to look into this during my last service visit. I've had good service in the past.)

But I'm tired of the problem persisting. I've had it for well over a year now!

Is this a common problem for this model of Smart? Or perhaps a common problem for any car? In particular, can anyone guess a solution I can take with me to my dealer (World Wide Autos, Mercedes, on 96th Street, Indianapolis)?

p.s. During my last service, my service representative told me that in a another year they will cease servicing Smart Cars. My warranty ends after another 10,000 miles, which will expire within that year. And we have an excellent place in Bloomington, IN that I'm confident can service the car well (amusingly, also called World Wide Auto Service, but not connected with Mercedes in Indy.) Getting parts may be another issue!

Does anyone know if Louisville or Cincinnati Mercedes will continue servicing Smarts, or if they do now? I'm concerned for those with slightly newer Smarts who will have no means of getting warranty service. One would have expected an elite company like Mercedes would commit to their customers! It's no wonder there's growing cynicism toward big business. (They also will not give loaners to Smart customers, only to Mercedes customers!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Garage
I would contact the mother ship & open up a case. The phone # is on a sticker on the drivers side sun visor.
jwight likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smart Bob For This Useful Post:
keorr (09-17-2019)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
In almost 4 years of ownership of my 2016 ICE I have never experienced the horn issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
check your hood switch the hood is plastic so it warps enough for the alarm to trip. There is a bulletin for it don’t remember the number though you can also disconnect the hood switch and see if it still happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Buckket For This Useful Post:
keorr (09-17-2019)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Thank you, Buckket! From your suggestion I found the following link to Evilution.

https://www.evilution.co.uk/1173

This is such a great forum!
sokoloff likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode