post #21 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 02:04 PM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarlqw View Post
That cradle thing was simply a joke..
In my opinion, if the cradle thing is a joke, then the phone I'm using is a joke. A higher end Samsung or iPhone smartphone can run any app and therefore perform all the functions of the Android tablet that is installed as an aftermarket unit. The screen is not as large, but that doesn't bother me at all.

I have an Android head unit, and I have an Android phone. My most recent apps and updated apps are on my phone, and I don't have to worry about downloading my fav apps a second time on an Android head unit when I use my phone. My phone is more up to date than the head unit in my smart because I can only access the Internet through hotspot that comes from, ironically enough, my phone.

If you prefer a larger screen, I have no complaints. I'm a fan of both. I'm just trying to weed out the difference between needs and wants. I never felt like the a problem, although I certainly respect your preference for the larger touchscreen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_smart_LA View Post
In my opinion, if the cradle thing is a joke, then the phone I'm using is a joke. A higher end Samsung or iPhone smartphone can run any app and therefore perform all the functions of the Android tablet that is installed as an aftermarket unit. The screen is not as large, but that doesn't bother me at all.

I have an Android head unit, and I have an Android phone. My most recent apps and updated apps are on my phone, and I don't have to worry about downloading my fav apps a second time on an Android head unit when I use my phone. My phone is more up to date than the head unit in my smart because I can only access the Internet through hotspot that comes from, ironically enough, my phone.

If you prefer a larger screen, I have no complaints. I'm a fan of both. I'm just trying to weed out the difference between needs and wants. I never felt like the a problem, although I certainly respect your preference for the larger touchscreen.
The only complaint i had with the cradle was the fact that it cannot hold an iphone 7plus properly, and my ocd kicks in every time I see it during my drive. I have no preference on either bigger screen or small screen. I cannot switch cellphones every time I choose to drive the smart, so it was the main reason that I chose this aftermarket unit to replace the factory unit.

I agree with you the fact that when it comes to update, I have to update the apps twice, once on my phone and once on the tablet. But for the most part, the tablet will update itself whenever it connect to a hotspot and I have unlimited data plan. Or it simply connects to my home wifi automatically after I shut it off the car (I set the unit turn off after 5 minutes), so I have no problem with it.
post #23 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 02:26 PM
SCOA Club

Quote:
The only complaint i had with the cradle was the fact that it cannot hold an iphone 7plus properly, and my ocd kicks in every time I see it during my drive. I have no preference on either bigger screen or small screen. I cannot switch cellphones every time I choose to drive the smart, so it was the main reason that I chose this aftermarket unit to replace the factory unit.

I agree with you the fact that when it comes to update, I have to update the apps twice, once on my phone and once on the tablet. But for the most part, the tablet will update itself whenever it connect to a hotspot and I have unlimited data plan. Or it simply connects to my home wifi automatically after I shut it off the car (I set the unit turn off after 5 minutes), so I have no problem with it.
A larger cradle is now available, and I have some in stock right now. Contact me and I'll steer you in the direction to obtain one very quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Hi,is this new cradle an original smart part or aftermarket?
post #25 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_smart_LA View Post
A larger cradle is now available, and I have some in stock right now. Contact me and I'll steer you in the direction to obtain one very quickly.
lol I wish I could, I have invested quite a few amount of $$$ to make it work with factory JBL package (a new amplifier and custom wiring), plus the aftermarket amplifier improved sound quality quite a bit. If I turn it back to factory unit, I may have to go through the trouble all over again.
post #26 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Just purchased this one from e bay- hoping I posted pic correctly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2652.PNG
Views:	102
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	33713  
post #27 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferragamo4me View Post
Just purchased this one from e bay- hoping I posted pic correctly
Easy and simple solution. I thought about getting the same one but I went with a more expensive route and believed 453 deserved a more modern interior look like its exterior.
smark likes this.
post #28 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 03:32 PM

Thanked 1,230 Times in 875 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Quote:
No apple car play on this unit. It is basically an Android tablet with OEM look. It has an app called mirrorlink, and you can mirror your cellphone screen onto the display. I am an iphone user too, but ever since I installed this unit, I just turn on the hotpot on my phone and use this tablet as my music, navigation and HBO (you can catch a few episodes of Game of thrones while stuck in the SoCal traffic lol). My phone call is still answered via bluetooth and built microphone on the unit.

Thanks, that a nice looking aftermarket unit. I had touch screen, navigation,Bluetooth, LTE, HDMI, Sirius units in my vehicles over the years. We just bought a new vehicle, with OEM Apple car Play and navigation. Love it. Prefect integration with our iPhones. Now very spoiled.

The cheapest vehicles on the road have touch screens, LTE wifi, navigation, and Apple car play.
post #29 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 03:37 PM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,346 Times in 1,645 Posts
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
I like inventing things. Using a Scosche phone cradle that I've had since 2010 I modified the tiny smart cradle to accept bigger loads.

You can't even tell it isn't factory.

In other news, I ADORE that Brabus!!! Congratulations!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170105_075205497_HDR_zpsjqrbcrz6.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	33753  
post #30 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 08:09 PM
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferragamo4me View Post
Hi,is this new cradle an original smart part or aftermarket?
The larger one I'm talking about is OEM.

I haven't seen that aftermarket thing somebody posted after you, even if it has that smart logo on there I know it isn't original equipment. Somebody built a cradle and fabbed up the smart logo and voila! If that's oem, I'm learning something new today. Otherwise, I believe it is aftermarket.

Tags
453 , brabus , cabriolet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode