Smart Car of America Forum banner

Odd moment with the turbo (2017 453) (aftermarket powerpack)

7K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  1stiski 
#1 ·
The turbo on our 453 had an odd moment . Left home and the car was fine , stopped for fuel ( 91 octane ) and proceeded on the drive , came to a mountain and felt no turbo action . Had to downshift to 2nd to make it over the mountain , car was just a 3 cylinder non-turbo motor . Stopped at the base of the mountain and opened up the motor access , I found proper oil level and checked for any loose connections or anything out of place , found nothing . Started up the car and the turbo was doing it’s job again . Put in a 230 mile day without one hiccup . Question is has this happened to anyone else , question 2 was this in relation to the blowoff valve being in an “open “ condition and bypassing any turbo boost to the cylinders ? Question 3 Is this valve electrically controlled ?

#3 ·
Our 453 has 18,000 miles on it . Normallly with the LORINSER exhaust , I can hear the turbo pushing extra pressure into the cylinders because the air really pours out the exhaust , that noise stopped and the lack of turbo boost was very evident . . I’m going to send a note to SMART USA to see if they have a direction I can go in their Tech Dept .

#5 ·
Update : vehicle experienced a hesitation ,AND NOW finally threw a Code P061B: Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance. I detached my LORINSER powerpack and put on the bypass plug , cleared the code, the car runs fine now .. I’ve got a nice drive happening today without the powerpack , so I’ll see what happens . I’ve now sent an email to LORINSER to see if there is a program issue happening and IF I can sent it to them to check it out .

#10 ·
came to a mountain and felt no turbo action.

I'm semi-mountain and when I read that in your post I wanted to say depending on your altitude it was indeed the altitude change but then when I read your other post it was better understood from the after market crap you installed for the psychological gain.

I remember some years back I bought a very expensive set of coil and spark plug wires for my my Jeep supposedly to increase both fuel mileage and horsepower. They were so pretty in blue. And I was late 30's and still falling for the b.s.

No way in hell I'm discounting the German engineering in the squirrel. (in fact I wish it wasn't so much engineering)

Happy Motoring :smartje.bl.zl:

#11 ·
^^^ physiological gratification . Yes . Well sort of , although the LORINSER powerpack brings up the hp to a documented 124, just 1hp shy of the factory European only Brabus 453 . There is a real boot to the pants (with the 5 speed) I can fully attest to, it’s not my imagination. I’ve been driving it around for the past couple weeks without the powerpack , and it’s fun , but not crazy fun. Can’t wait for the improved version I’m getting from LORINSER .

#12 ·
the LORINSER powerpack brings up the hp to a documented 124

That's wicked fast for the squirrels. I can only say I have been thoroughly impressed with how mine runs stock I sort of knew I would. It's that wonderful torque and where it's making it at and all because of the turbo. I mean my squirrel will simply get up and move. I am blown away at how nice this car runs and it truly is the best weight ratio to be running a 3 banger.

#16 ·
Unboxed , different than the previous version , much more programmable and optional settings , bonus , plus now you don’t have to splice into the cam position sensor wire , so it’s truly a plug and play upgrade . I’ll be preforming the transformation this weekend . Then sending the suspect unit to SmartMadness as directed by LORINSER .

#19 ·
There are 6 settings , I’m at the plus 2 in the red , that is almost the full setting .. this would be nice to have a dyno done at someone point to figure out actually outputs . The engine ran smooth and had instant uptake when you released the clutch and put the gas pedal to the floor . Woopie!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.