User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
According to page 25 of the Owner's Manual:

"Voice-operated control as well as control of the telephone and volume using the steering wheel buttons in the control panel on the right only function with the smart Media-System. If you use smart Audio-System or an audio device from another manufacturer, the functions may be restricted or not available at all."

In the smart Audio System Operating Instructions manual, on page 11:

"Adjusting the volume
Increasing the volume
> Turn the volume control knob clockwise.
or
> Vehicles with the multifunction steering wheel: press the [+] button"

Since we have the Audio-System and not the Media-System (6" touch screen thing), I just assumed this means that while the volume control buttons work, the voice button doesn't. The Audio-System manual mentions the cross connect app, but it doesn't mention the voice button at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 06:49 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,816 Times in 3,528 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Resurrecting this thread as apparently the 2018 smarts (EDs for North America) have finally been given an operating push to talk feature.

From smart USA: "A step up from the previous year, the 2018 electric drive coupe has even more tech enhancements like a rearview camera and "Push to Talk" smartphone control."

Last edited by jwight; 06-26-2018 at 10:15 AM.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 08:01 AM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
The talk button is now ABSOLUTELY functional on ALL 2018 smart electric models. It's basically the equivalent of using your phone with SIRI or the "Hello Google" or even "Hi Galaxy" for Samsung Galaxy users.

I use it everytime I drive my '17 smart BRABUS cabriolet.
jwight and Smart Bob like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_smart_LA View Post
The talk button is now ABSOLUTELY functional on ALL 2018 smart electric models. It's basically the equivalent of using your phone with SIRI or the "Hello Google" or even "Hi Galaxy" for Samsung Galaxy users.

I use it everytime I drive my '17 smart BRABUS cabriolet.
Interesting. Do you have the smart Audio-System (buttons and support for cradle) or the smart Media-System (large touchscreen)?

I am interesting in getting the voice activation working on my 2016 prime.

Thanks!
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 04:48 PM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardina266 View Post
Interesting. Do you have the smart Audio-System (buttons and support for cradle) or the smart Media-System (large touchscreen)?

I am interesting in getting the voice activation working on my 2016 prime.

Thanks!
Ultimately, the smart Audio System and smart Media System is an upgrade over the phone cradle system. The touchscreen is large, fancier, less tacky. More conventional. It has Android Auto too. And the steering wheel voice control button works with the media system touchscreen as well as the smartphone.

However, in my opinion, a smartphone makes the head unit of any car obsolete. There is literally no reason to believe otherwise. A smartphone contains so many apps and is so flexible as far as downloading the latest app. You can change smartphones at will too, so you can enjoy their unique perks and features.

So if price didn't matter, I'd pick the smart Media System. If I preferred the fancy look, I'd pick the smart Media System for conventional reasons. But no way would I allow the lack of it end up being a deal breaker if the car didn't have the touchscreen.

Just slap your favorite smartphone in the phone cradle and let the voice control do the work. Push the button and speak the commands. If your smartphone is as advanced as you want it to be, the voice control should handle everything you want your phone to do, all hands-free.

Stream any music app you want, run any navigation app, send text messages, place phone calls, all with the voice control button and the proper smartphone.
Smart Bob likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in