Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
REVIEW : Smart Madness Ecu for the 2016 Smart 453

LOVE IT !!!

I purchased this product for $699 which can be found here:

http://smartmadness.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1611
Smart Madness claims this :
“Increase the power of your new smart 453 by up to 20% in less than 1 hour!

How much power can be gained from this upgrade?

Horsepower has been raised by approximately 15% from 90hp to 105hp!
Torque has been increased by approximately 20% from 100lbs to 122lbs!

While you can extract a little more power from the smart 453 using this module we offer this module with what we feel is a "Safe and Moderate" tune. The goal is not to gain a slightly higher dyno number at the expense of engine wear and possible damage. Our goal is to deliver you a reliable power upgrade that does not overstress the factory components for a long and trouble free engine life.”

I personally found Installation is not difficult but does take some time if you want to neatly work away the 3 main wires that connect the ECU unit itself to the different sensors on the engine. For those of you not wanting to DIY you can also have Smart Madness install for you onsite while you wait. So this is an add-on unit which does not replace the engines main computer and I was informed that any flashing of software by Mercedes to the main engine computer would not be affecting by this upgrade. The main unit from Smart Madness has one big wire harness plug that fits into the ECU. In the event you would need to remove the ECU unit for whatever reason … you can, and then attach a bypass plug cap to the harness plug that normally goes into the ECU. This way the wiring can be left alone and the engine is stock again! There is no splicing of wiring whatsoever and everything can be easily and completely removed if you decide you don’t want to use it anymore.
I have no access to a Dyno so I cannot measure the horsepower and torque increases claimed but Smart Madness allowed me to test drive their 453 with this ECU upgrade and I was so impressed I HAD to have one !
I have been driving with this upgrade for almost 2 weeks now and I can say that I can definitely feel a difference in power! My car behaves exactly the same way through the RPM band (so its not necessarily “twitchy or jumpy” at different RPM’s . It responds well and just pulls much harder.
One initial concern though was fuel economy. And I have found that if I drive economically it’s not using any more fuel than stock. I confirmed this on a 15 mile stretch of freeway maintaining 65mph with and without the Add-on ECU going back and forth I am getting believe it or not 55mpg (without Airco on ) on the on board computer, which I was also getting before the upgrade. Of course if you have a lead foot it will use more fuel because its giving more power.
Bottom line: the Unit is easy to install, bypass, or de-install, and I am extremely happy in how the car now feels like its much faster and more powerful. I love it and I feel its well worth the price. Can definitely recommend.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dolftb For This Useful Post:
Mister_smart_LA (06-02-2016), smart center Madison (12-30-2015), SmartMadness (01-02-2016), SubRosa (10-24-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Ahhh Thank you for this review! I have been waiting for this!!!

So aside from pulling hard have you noticed if it helps with eliminating some of the turbo lag when accelerating from a standstill?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifewithSmart View Post
Ahhh Thank you for this review! I have been waiting for this!!!

So aside from pulling hard have you noticed if it helps with eliminating some of the turbo lag when accelerating from a standstill?
No sorry it does not help a lot for that. Perhaps a bit. I dont think its turbo lag either although I know what you are referring to. Its just that the additional power most noticeable when the torque is high say starting from 2000 rpm on to the high point of the horsepower. I think the lag at start has more to do if the transmission is really in gear and ready to go. You will notice when you are almost at a stop and the car shutters a bit if you then step in the gas it WILL immediately go! I think if the car is standing still it takes the the transmission just a second or to at rev up to re-engage the clutch to drive off. I dont think its "turbo lag" but hey I am not an engineer. Are you in Socal ? otherwise go to Smart Madness and ask them for a test drive with there 453 DCT.

Also remember that its about a 20 percent difference so I feel its much better but its not like you get from 0-60 now in 8 seconds. Still yeah $699 is not cheap but for me that relative to the price of the new car is well worth it.

Oh crap you are not in Socal you are Canadian. oops...

Last edited by Dolftb; 12-30-2015 at 05:20 PM. Reason: didnt compleet
The Following User Says Thank You to Dolftb For This Useful Post:
Mister_smart_LA (12-30-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 01:04 PM

Thanks Dolftb for the extra info, this was very helpful for me and i'm sure other people who are interested in getting the ECU.

The ECU is definitely on my list... just with the crazy current exchange rate it's really bad for us Canadians right now.

Who's interested in a groupbuy for the ECU? Doesn't hurt to try asking Madness if a bunch of us are in from this forum.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Buy one from Europe and save hundreds of dollars.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huronlad View Post
Are you speaking from you own experience from actually saving hundreds of dollars with your 453 ECU tune from Europe?

Can you prove it with a link?

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 01:26 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolftb View Post
LOVE IT !!!

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Thank you for your feedback and honest review. Glad to hear you are enjoying the product and it has met your expectations.

It was a pleasure meeting you when you stopped in. Thank you for allowing us to give you a brief test drive so you can see first hand the performance upgrade the module offered.

We own two 453s (as you know that others may not know) that are used for development and testing. As you have experienced when going for a drive our cars have become little go carts that really handle and perform at a substantially higher level then the stock cars.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 01:32 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
if it helps with eliminating some of the turbo lag when accelerating from a standstill?
The module will help with the added power and will reduce some lag, but if you want to really improve the lag we suggest you try our new 453 model MADNESS GOPedal. It has been designed for the new 453 and calibrated by us on our cars.

It is a fantastic upgrade, but it is not for everyone. That is why we offer it with a 30 Day Money Back Guarantee. Buy it, install it, use it for up to 30 days. If you are not 100% satisfied simply ship it back for a refund. It is that easy.

We have it on both of our 453 models and feel it is a very good improvement, but ultimately we give you 30 days for try it for yourself.

There are some additional upgrades coming down the pipeline and all of them will be designed to work with each other in harmony and tested on our own vehicles prior to release.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 01:48 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huronlad View Post
In the next 90 days our European Partners will start reselling our MADNESS ECU Module, but it will be priced at the same price. At this time no other company is offering the MADNESS ECU Module.

We make it a habit to not speak about other companies or other products.

We are sure there are probably other good working products out there as well.

If you are in North America it may make sense purchasing something like this from a reputable, brick and mortar facility like us. We stand behind our products, have a physical walk in facility and a full shop. We have been in business since 2008 and have served many on this board.

Can and will you eventually find something similar? Probably.
Will it be the same as ours and have the same backing and support? No.

Think about it...

If there is ever an issue with anything you purchase from us simply pick up the phone and we will do our best to take care of it to your full satisfaction. Most on this board know of our commitment to customer service.

If you need assistance in installation, have a question, need something we are here to help.

You can call us and get assistance live or you can send an email to someone in another part of the world and wait for one back.

We are owners ourselves and have been here supporting the community from the start.

All that may be a worth a bit for some.

Lastly... if you do find the same product somewhere else from a legitimate vendor that actually has it we will price match.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Quote:
Are you speaking from you own experience from actually saving hundreds of dollars with your 453 ECU tune from Europe?

Can you prove it with a link?

This is what I plan to buy, unless I can find someone in Canada to do an ECU tune for the TCe 90 engine.

https://www.cpa-chiptuning.de/en/chi...uning_2449.htm

I have read enough complaints on here about SM's "customer service", that I will not give any of my money to them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode