REVIEW : Smart Madness Ecu for the 2016 Smart 453 - Page 2 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Be careful. European-market ECU programming is not necessarily the "same" as North American-market ECU programming, even for what is nominally the "same" engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
SM is selling a tuning box, my link is to a tuning box solution. Not the same as an ECU tune.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 04:03 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huronlad View Post
This is what I plan to buy, unless I can find someone in Canada to do an ECU tune for the TCe 90 engine.

https://www.cpa-chiptuning.de/en/chi...uning_2449.htm

I have read enough complaints on here about SM's "customer service", that I will not give any of my money to them.
Quote:
SM is selling a tuning box, my link is to a tuning box solution. Not the same as an ECU tune.
I am impressed that they have access to a 4 wheel drive dyno.

Looks so eerily similar to the Smart Madness product, but they don't seem to list the specific smart model. Did you verify with them that it will work for the 453?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 05:54 PM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolftb View Post
LOVE IT !!!

I purchased this product for $699 which can be found here:

http://smartmadness.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1611
Smart Madness claims this :
“Increase the power of your new smart 453 by up to 20% in less than 1 hour!

How much power can be gained from this upgrade?

Horsepower has been raised by approximately 15% from 90hp to 105hp!
Torque has been increased by approximately 20% from 100lbs to 122lbs!

While you can extract a little more power from the smart 453 using this module we offer this module with what we feel is a "Safe and Moderate" tune. The goal is not to gain a slightly higher dyno number at the expense of engine wear and possible damage. Our goal is to deliver you a reliable power upgrade that does not overstress the factory components for a long and trouble free engine life.”

I personally found Installation is not difficult but does take some time if you want to neatly work away the 3 main wires that connect the ECU unit itself to the different sensors on the engine. For those of you not wanting to DIY you can also have Smart Madness install for you onsite while you wait. So this is an add-on unit which does not replace the engines main computer and I was informed that any flashing of software by Mercedes to the main engine computer would not be affecting by this upgrade. The main unit from Smart Madness has one big wire harness plug that fits into the ECU. In the event you would need to remove the ECU unit for whatever reason … you can, and then attach a bypass plug cap to the harness plug that normally goes into the ECU. This way the wiring can be left alone and the engine is stock again! There is no splicing of wiring whatsoever and everything can be easily and completely removed if you decide you don’t want to use it anymore.
I have no access to a Dyno so I cannot measure the horsepower and torque increases claimed but Smart Madness allowed me to test drive their 453 with this ECU upgrade and I was so impressed I HAD to have one !
I have been driving with this upgrade for almost 2 weeks now and I can say that I can definitely feel a difference in power! My car behaves exactly the same way through the RPM band (so its not necessarily “twitchy or jumpy” at different RPM’s . It responds well and just pulls much harder.
One initial concern though was fuel economy. And I have found that if I drive economically it’s not using any more fuel than stock. I confirmed this on a 15 mile stretch of freeway maintaining 65mph with and without the Add-on ECU going back and forth I am getting believe it or not 55mpg (without Airco on ) on the on board computer, which I was also getting before the upgrade. Of course if you have a lead foot it will use more fuel because its giving more power.
Bottom line: the Unit is easy to install, bypass, or de-install, and I am extremely happy in how the car now feels like its much faster and more powerful. I love it and I feel its well worth the price. Can definitely recommend.

Hi there Dolftb,

I just wanted to jump in and thank you for taking the moment to post up a review about the ECU Module! It was great seeing you the other day at the shop and Happy New Year!

Quote:
I have read enough complaints on here about SM's "customer service", that I will not give any of my money to them.
Hello Huronlad,

I have to admit I'm a little surprised at your comment. We actually pride ourselves on the quality of our customer service and are known for making it a point to go above and beyond for our customers. My title here at SMART MADNESS is the Sales Manager so I make it a point that all of our team practices this "Customer First" mentality although I will be the first to admit occasionally there are some situations here and there as with any company. But with that being said though those individuals involved either learn from their opportunities or they are no longer with us.

I have been with the company now for 3 years. In my position it's safe to say that the majority of issues or concerns will usually cross my desk. I can honestly say 100% of the time we do our best to come up with a solution that makes sense for the customer and also the business. Now at the end of the day will everyone be happy? No, that's unrealistic. But, I can tell you that we provided each one of these customers with options, kept a solid chain of communication and came up with a fair solution at the end.

If you ever need anything personally or happen to simply have a question feel free to reach out to me directly and I'll be more than happy to help you out! You can reach me via phone 562-981-6800 ext 108 or via email [email protected]. I would love to earn your confidence!

Thank you,

Joseph
SmartStan and FiveSpeed like this.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1208 Post(s)
REVIEW : Smart Madness Ecu for the 2016 Smart 453

Quote:
Ditto.

I had a bad experience with Madness over returning a piddling $30 item, even after providing irrefutable proof that the item did not work.

Their customer service promises were only lip service. Never again.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 11:30 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Ditto.

I had a bad experience with Madness over returning a piddling $30 item, even after providing irrefutable proof that the item did not work.

Their customer service promises were only lip service. Never again.
stevenvillatoro,

I'd like to apologize about your previous experience but I'm also curious, based upon your frustrations did you ever request to bring this issue up to management? Prior to coming aboard here at MADNESS Autoworks I worked in Corporate Retail Management for over 10 years. The following is an example I always like to refer to in situations such as the one you mentioned above.

Let's say a customer was to walk into a Nordstrom's restroom as they are preparing to exit the store. They've already completed their purchase, have their products in hand etc. Everything went smoothly prior to walking into the restroom but what they notice immediately is the condition the restroom is in. It's dirty, the paper towels were empty and they actually just walked by the janitor who was finishing up cleaning this area as they walked in.

There are those of us that will say "I can't believe they would allow this, I'm never coming back here again" and disregard the previous interaction they just had. There are others that will say "This isn't acceptable, I'm going to bring this up to management" and based upon how their concern is handled that specifically will decide if they want to continue doing business with this establishment in the future.

Will we have some bumps here and there? Maybe a call that wasn't returned in a timely manner or there was a slight delay with a shipment? Yes. But it's also our job to use these situations as training opportunities to LEARN from and ensure this type of behavior isn't the norm nor is it acceptable. But of course there's also times that we can't fix a situation if it was never brought to our attention.

Again we take customer service very seriously. It's not often that you will see other vendors post on forums concerned by feedback or a negative experience. At the end of the day if someone isn't satisfied we WANT to make it right!

I'll send you a PM here shortly as well and would like the opportunity to discuss this further if possible.

Thank you,

Joseph
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1208 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESSJoseph View Post
I'll send you a PM here shortly as well and would like the opportunity to discuss this further if possible.

Joseph, I don't plan to discuss the issue any further with Madness – I already went down that dark tunnel.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 05:00 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Joseph, I don't plan to discuss the issue any further with Madness – I already went down that dark tunnel.
I'm sorry to hear that. If you ever happen to change your mind please feel free to reach out to me personally.

Thank you
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 09:38 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Updated
LifewithSmart likes this.

Last edited by Paul Va; 06-02-2016 at 07:31 PM.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Va View Post
i'm dying to read your review...!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode