Smart Proxy - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: AZ Sonoran Desert
Posts: 127
Thanks: 2
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Smart Proxy

Saw metallic blue one out here in Maricopa, with AZ tags. Mostly white interior. Built in nav system, too.



Never heard of a Proxy before.


S u b R o s a
SubRosa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 07:32 PM
 
Apexerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: California
Posts: 22
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I recently test drove what I think was a Proxy Fortwo near Phoenix. Fun machine. 2016 model, white with blue/white interior. I'd have purchased it right there, but I'm looking for a manual. Gotta have my clutch pedal. :-)
Apexerman is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 07:48 PM
 
Jo e Lefors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: 09 Cabrio Southern NV
Posts: 735
Thanks: 180
Thanked 84 Times in 76 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Garage
Apexerman,
Welcome to the Forum from Las Vegas.
I wouldn't mind owning a 453 cabriolet with a true stick shift. Top down, rowing through the gears on a nice fall day.
That said, I would NOT want it as a daily driver, just as a weekend / nice day top down cruiser.
Good Luck with your search.
Jo e Lefors is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 11:52 PM
 
Apexerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: California
Posts: 22
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo e Lefors View Post
Apexerman,
Welcome to the Forum from Las Vegas.
I wouldn't mind owning a 453 cabriolet with a true stick shift. Top down, rowing through the gears on a nice fall day.
That said, I would NOT want it as a daily driver, just as a weekend / nice day top down cruiser.
Good Luck with your search.
Thanks, Jo e Lefors! And yes I agree. In fact, I only discovered the 453 Smart came with a manual a month ago! I've always liked the go-kart-like handling of small cars, but I lamented that the Smart car didn't have a stick to row. I'm glad to see Mercedes finally gave us that option... at least while they were still gas-powered!

Having owned Minis, Miatas and Spitfires, I knew the Smart could be a fun little driver, but I just couldn't get excited about the automatic. I completely understand the need for automatics and the dual-clutch version found in the 453 seems to be a vast improvement. If I routinely drove in heavy traffic, I'd go for it. Fortunately, we have some beautiful two-lane twisties out here that beg for enthusiastic motoring and the stick is too hard to pass up. I'm scheduled to drive one this weekend, so we'll see how it goes. The tough thing is do I sell my fully restored Triumph Spitfire for a Smart car? Now THAT'S a tall order. ;-)
Apexerman is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:53 AM
 
1stiski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 494
Thanks: 0
Thanked 46 Times in 41 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo e Lefors View Post
Apexerman,
Welcome to the Forum from Las Vegas.
I wouldn't mind owning a 453 cabriolet with a true stick shift. Top down, rowing through the gears on a nice fall day.
That said, I would NOT want it as a daily driver, just as a weekend / nice day top down cruiser.
Good Luck with your search.
Got one ! And yes they are fun on any day !
Jo e Lefors likes this.
1stiski is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 09:31 AM
 
Niteshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Back in Canada Eh
Posts: 386
Thanks: 45
Thanked 36 Times in 33 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage
Proxy is the top line package on the 453. Came close to going for one up here but want a manual.

Some info in the brochure here, http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/...ortwo_2016.pdf
Niteshooter is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 12:09 AM
 
Apexerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: California
Posts: 22
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well, whatta you know... I comment about the Proxy I'd test driven a few weeks ago and the Smart bug finally took over! I bought the car! Very cool machine! So far it's been a blast to drive and I love its nimble, short wheelbase handling. I've always been of fan of small tossable cars and the fortwo fits the bill. Alas, even though I surrendered my notions of a rowing a five-speed stick, the DCT has been just as entertaining, just in a different way. My main gripe with traditional automatics has always been the torque converter and lazy shift points, but I knew the DCT would be a different beast. And it was. It clarifies the importance of test driving a car before making a decision. I've driven all the 453 variants (manual, DCT and electric) and I'm happy with the choice. Diggin' the funky blue and white interior too.

Next mission? Tackle my favorite two lane roads..............



Apexerman is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 05:14 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 897
Thanks: 25
Thanked 83 Times in 68 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Congrats on your new smart, and my hopes that you have fun chasing down every apex!

I also had a Miata, a '95, that was getting long in the tooth and which was sold when we got our 451. I've been hankering for a small roadster since, and have looked at a few MGBs but have not pulled the trigger for various reasons. The Spitfire sounds intriguing! Are you going to be selling?
Apexerman likes this.
InjuredAgain is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 06:05 AM
 
Jo e Lefors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: 09 Cabrio Southern NV
Posts: 735
Thanks: 180
Thanked 84 Times in 76 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexerman View Post
Well, whatta you know... I comment about the Proxy I'd test driven a few weeks ago and the Smart bug finally took over! I bought the car! Very cool machine! So far it's been a blast to drive and I love its nimble, short wheelbase handling. I've always been of fan of small tossable cars and the fortwo fits the bill. Alas, even though I surrendered my notions of a rowing a five-speed stick, the DCT has been just as entertaining, just in a different way. My main gripe with traditional automatics has always been the torque converter and lazy shift points, but I knew the DCT would be a different beast. And it was. It clarifies the importance of test driving a car before making a decision. I've driven all the 453 variants (manual, DCT and electric) and I'm happy with the choice. Diggin' the funky blue and white interior too.

Next mission? Tackle my favorite two lane roads..............
No Stick but you said.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexerman View Post
I recently test drove what I think was a Proxy Fortwo near Phoenix. Fun machine. 2016 model, white with blue/white interior. I'd have purchased it right there, but I'm looking for a manual. Gotta have my clutch pedal. :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexerman View Post
Fortunately, we have some beautiful two-lane twisties out here that beg for enthusiastic motoring and the stick is too hard to pass up. I'm scheduled to drive one this weekend, so we'll see how it goes.
What happen to the one you were going to test drive?
Jo e Lefors is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 08:34 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 15
Thanks: 45
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Proxy:

Someone changed to tire/wheel package. Those are not sport package rims & tires. What you have will provide better ride quality & a lot less tire noise. Nice car & good choice.
Bob Ricewasser is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2016 Smart Proxy & Brake Pads Purrson smart Operation and Maintenance 18 02-08-2017 07:14 AM
White Leather "Proxy" interior....yay or nay? LaszloPanaflex smart General Discussion 26 08-17-2016 06:03 PM
453 - US Sport Package/Proxy owners, what tires did you get? matt_453 453 11 02-09-2016 09:57 PM
Just received 2016 Proxy, AMA Kyle Fanus smart General Discussion 18 12-14-2015 09:28 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

Clubs, Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.