User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Smart Proxy

Saw metallic blue one out here in Maricopa, with AZ tags. Mostly white interior. Built in nav system, too.

Never heard of a Proxy before.

S u b R o s a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I recently test drove what I think was a Proxy Fortwo near Phoenix. Fun machine. 2016 model, white with blue/white interior. I'd have purchased it right there, but I'm looking for a manual. Gotta have my clutch pedal. :-)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Garage
Apexerman,
Welcome to the Forum from Las Vegas.
I wouldn't mind owning a 453 cabriolet with a true stick shift. Top down, rowing through the gears on a nice fall day.
That said, I would NOT want it as a daily driver, just as a weekend / nice day top down cruiser.
Good Luck with your search.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo e Lefors View Post
Apexerman,
I wouldn't mind owning a 453 cabriolet with a true stick shift. Top down, rowing through the gears on a nice fall day.
That said, I would NOT want it as a daily driver, just as a weekend / nice day top down cruiser.
Thanks, Jo e Lefors! And yes I agree. In fact, I only discovered the 453 Smart came with a manual a month ago! I've always liked the go-kart-like handling of small cars, but I lamented that the Smart car didn't have a stick to row. I'm glad to see Mercedes finally gave us that option... at least while they were still gas-powered!

Having owned Minis, Miatas and Spitfires, I knew the Smart could be a fun little driver, but I just couldn't get excited about the automatic. I completely understand the need for automatics and the dual-clutch version found in the 453 seems to be a vast improvement. If I routinely drove in heavy traffic, I'd go for it. Fortunately, we have some beautiful two-lane twisties out here that beg for enthusiastic motoring and the stick is too hard to pass up. I'm scheduled to drive one this weekend, so we'll see how it goes. The tough thing is do I sell my fully restored Triumph Spitfire for a Smart car? Now THAT'S a tall order. ;-)
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo e Lefors View Post
Apexerman,
Got one ! And yes they are fun on any day !
Jo e Lefors likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage
Proxy is the top line package on the 453. Came close to going for one up here but want a manual.

Some info in the brochure here, http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/...ortwo_2016.pdf
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 12:09 AM

Well, whatta you know... I comment about the Proxy I'd test driven a few weeks ago and the Smart bug finally took over! I bought the car! Very cool machine! So far it's been a blast to drive and I love its nimble, short wheelbase handling. I've always been of fan of small tossable cars and the fortwo fits the bill. Alas, even though I surrendered my notions of a rowing a five-speed stick, the DCT has been just as entertaining, just in a different way. My main gripe with traditional automatics has always been the torque converter and lazy shift points, but I knew the DCT would be a different beast. And it was. It clarifies the importance of test driving a car before making a decision. I've driven all the 453 variants (manual, DCT and electric) and I'm happy with the choice. Diggin' the funky blue and white interior too.

Next mission? Tackle my favorite two lane roads..............

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 05:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Congrats on your new smart, and my hopes that you have fun chasing down every apex!

I also had a Miata, a '95, that was getting long in the tooth and which was sold when we got our 451. I've been hankering for a small roadster since, and have looked at a few MGBs but have not pulled the trigger for various reasons. The Spitfire sounds intriguing! Are you going to be selling?
Apexerman likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexerman View Post
Well, whatta you know... I comment about the Proxy I'd test driven a few weeks ago and the Smart bug finally took over! I bought the car! Very cool machine! So far it's been a blast to drive and I love its nimble, short wheelbase handling. I've always been of fan of small tossable cars and the fortwo fits the bill. Alas, even though I surrendered my notions of a rowing a five-speed stick, the DCT has been just as entertaining, just in a different way. My main gripe with traditional automatics has always been the torque converter and lazy shift points, but I knew the DCT would be a different beast. And it was. It clarifies the importance of test driving a car before making a decision. I've driven all the 453 variants (manual, DCT and electric) and I'm happy with the choice. Diggin' the funky blue and white interior too.

Next mission? Tackle my favorite two lane roads..............
No Stick but you said.......
Quote:
I recently test drove what I think was a Proxy Fortwo near Phoenix. Fun machine. 2016 model, white with blue/white interior. I'd have purchased it right there, but I'm looking for a manual. Gotta have my clutch pedal. :-)
Quote:
Fortunately, we have some beautiful two-lane twisties out here that beg for enthusiastic motoring and the stick is too hard to pass up. I'm scheduled to drive one this weekend, so we'll see how it goes.
What happen to the one you were going to test drive?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Proxy:

Someone changed to tire/wheel package. Those are not sport package rims & tires. What you have will provide better ride quality & a lot less tire noise. Nice car & good choice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode