10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredAgain View Post
Congrats on your new smart, and my hopes that you have fun chasing down every apex!

I also had a Miata, a '95, that was getting long in the tooth and which was sold when we got our 451. I've been hankering for a small roadster since, and have looked at a few MGBs but have not pulled the trigger for various reasons. The Spitfire sounds intriguing! Are you going to be selling?
Thanks, Injured! Ah yes, the Miata is essential for anyone who likes sports cars. I owned two Miatas, a '94 and '95, and loved driving 'em both. Mazda really laid down the benchmark for the updated British roadster and it's no surprise they're still being made. Something about a small two-seat, rear drive sports car that just works. I considered a newer Miata when looking for a daily driver, but I've trod that path before and wanted a different experience.

LOVE the MGB. I seriously looked at an MGB before I purchased the Spitfire. Each model has their own unique characteristics. Truth be told, I'm actually more partial to the MGB-GT coupe than the 'vert. The lines do it for me. But the Spit proved a greater pull. I had one in college, I like the very low proximity to the ground and the Micholtti-inspired design won me over. My car underwent a thorough restoration from the previous owner who performed some moderate engine and suspension mods to extract a bit more performance. Selling it has crossed my mind, but I can't cross that bridge just yet. I'm still having too much fun with it.

For now, the Smart will be my daily driver. I have a feeling I'll enjoy this little runabout for quite a while. Good luck on your search for some vintage machinery! It's generally best to consider cars with extensive levels of restoration when entering the field... more cost-effective in the long run. However, there are those who enjoy the restoration process as much as owning, so it just depends on your level of investment in time and money. They're definitely labors of love.

Jo e Lefors likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo e Lefors View Post
No Stick but you said.......

What happen to the one you were going to test drive?
Indeed... I changed my mind. Hell hath frozen over.

Actually, a few things came to pass. After reading the sage comments from folks on this forum and others, I began to question whether I was giving the DCT short shrift. Perhaps the DCT wasn't as bad as I thought. Obviously I had to test drive both transmissions to gauge impressions. One thing I discovered is that the little three-cylinder doesn't offer a wealth of deceleration compared to four or more cylinder engines. Engine braking behavior is largely absent. Acceleration is obviously worthwhile, but I like controlling my level of decel when carving through turns or navigating through traffic. Downshifting wasn't giving me that effect. My wife's previous Ford Focus with the 1.0L Ecotech three exhibited the same behavior, so it seems apparent lack of engine braking is a characteristic with these tiny motors. That kind of altered my impression after a couple of test drives. Plus, for what little decel I could get, it's easier to bump or paddle shift down a few gears than necessarily hunt for the right gear in a manual.

Second, there's the ever-present reality of traffic. Although we have some tasty roads nearby, the Smart will be my daily commuter and that means sitting in some occasional heavy traffic situations. In that case, I'd rather let the tranny do all the work. The Smart manual is plenty light and certainly manageable, but it's something I had to consider.

Third, my Spitfire delivers on my manual shift cravings and I'm happy to have two machines that offer different types of fun. One thing I know is that I can't drive boring cars, so I'm liking the current transportation arrangement.
Jo e Lefors likes this.

Last edited by Apexerman; 11-04-2018 at 11:16 AM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
I didn't realize how much I would miss the Miata when I sold it. When I bought it, I was under a bit of a pressure to get a car as quickly as possible and I had already spent quite some time looking for a first gen MR2 with no luck. The MR2 was the car I wanted after college but good ones then, in 2012, were more rare then hen's teeth and are even more rare now. My wife actually suggested looking for a Miata and I bought the best fully stock example I could find that came with a hardtop, a '95 with 138k miles. Though I have a targa top on another car, this was my first full convertible and it was a revelation. After a day of work, to put the top down and drive home made everything, including my seasonal affective disorder, so much better.

In 2017, nearing 190k miles, the Miata was looking to need a full engine out to redo the maintenance and to change every seal that were now all leaking. And the softtop was nearing end of life. And the missus doesn't speak clutch, refuses to drive my other car, and so when her SUV gets borrowed by me or our kids, she's stranded.

Around that time and thanks to the wonderful members of SCOA here, I was made aware of some fantastic deals on leftover, never titled 2015 EDs. I sold the Miata for what I paid for it, which was almost enough to fully pay for our brand new smart. The missus had a car she could drive, I got a quirky little go-cart to romp around in, and all was good.

Except the smart wasn't quite the sublime driver that the Miata was, and wasn't a convertible. I thought in time the feelings would pass but they've gotten more insistent instead. I've looked at 914s, MR2s, MGBs, X1/9s, 924s, and TR6s, all cars from my early adulthood. I've even looked at a 2CV! Ahh, one of these days I'll get back into something vintage. But until then, it is awesome to see people like you who appreciate those cars and keep them in such beautiful condition.

Enjoy your Spitfire!!
Apexerman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ricewasser View Post
Someone changed to tire/wheel package. Those are not sport package rims & tires. What you have will provide better ride quality & a lot less tire noise. Nice car & good choice.
I was curious about that. According the brochure Niteshooter kindly offered, it appears two 16"ers were available... the five-spoke alloys on my car (R91) and the 8-Y-spoke alloys (R95). Under the Proxy category, it indicates sport package and R91. Then the next page says one can get the sport package and R95's, so who knows. I actually like the R95's a little better, but a quick Google image search reveals both wheels appeared on the Proxy. If someone has a nice set of R95's, I might be willing to trade.........
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I was told by the dealer I got my Edition #1 from that the Edition #1 has everything the Proxy has, less the JBL sound system.
The 'Edition #1 ' package included items from the Proxy that even the dealer could not order on a Passion.
Such things like the 'Urban' (10mm lowering springs) and the (R95) 8-Y Sport alloys, JBL sound were only available (orderable) on a Proxy.

For a better sound system there are a lot of options depending on your tastes and for wheel choices look for a reseller that can order OEM, such as:
https://www.hubcaphaven.com/c/3439/s...eels_rims.html
For doing such things as getting Rear (Width) wheels for the front so you could put the same size tires on all four corners
The Following User Says Thank You to Mailman For This Useful Post:
Apexerman (11-04-2018)
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
I was told by the dealer I got my Edition #1 from that the Edition #1 has everything the Proxy has, less the JBL sound system.
The 'Edition #1 ' package included items from the Proxy that even the dealer could not order on a Passion.
Such things like the 'Urban' (10mm lowering springs) and the (R95) 8-Y Sport alloys, JBL sound were only available (orderable) on a Proxy.

For a better sound system there are a lot of options depending on your tastes and for wheel choices look for a reseller that can order OEM, such as:
For doing such things as getting Rear (Width) wheels for the front so you could put the same size tires on all four corners
Thanks, Mailman... I'll check it out!
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 05:21 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,788 Times in 3,506 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post

As far as I know, any Passion could have been ordered with the Sport Package, exactly like the Edition 1 wheels, tires and suspension bits, plus the paddle shifters.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 04:13 PM

Well, one week into ownership and I'm still lovin' this machine!

Many of the quirks and characteristics mentioned on the forum are similar. Road noise is one. My car has the original Continental ProContact TX 16" tires and the sound gets pretty loud on rough pavement. Smooth pavement is virtually silent... rough pavement is a howl fest. I've read comments about the noise and opinions seem to suggest tire type or sport suspension causes. Perhaps switching tire brands may help. That front tire is an unusual size: 185/50-16. A quick search reveals only two other brands make those fronts: Nexen and Minerva. I could go to a different size, too.

I'm particularly impressed with the highway performance. Very steady and stable at 80mph. I expected some dartiness due to the short wheelbase, but it does just fine. Engine noise is barely perceptible and the aforementioned road noise is reasonable on most sections of highway. Wind noise is decent, too. I know Smart billed the car as a city car, but it works fine as a highway cruiser.

The gas tank issue. Yep, I think I've got that problem. Arriving at the station with one gallon left, I could only pump six gallons before the fuel nozzle cut off. I pumped a wee more to top off, but it wasn't much. Hmm. Fortunately the car is still under warranty, so it appears a trip to Smart dealership is in order.

The DCT shifts fine... quick engagement and relatively smooth transitions in automatic mode. The 1-2 and 2-1 change reveals some mild gear meshing and surging as it transitions, but nothing that feels especially odd. The midrange punch is evident when the turbo spools into action, but power tends to flatten in the upper rpm range. Paddle shifting in that midrange yields the quickest acceleration. It's rather entertaining coming out of a decreasing radius turn and having near-instantaneous punch heading into the straight. I find myself eager to get this thing on an autocross circuit. This thing is ridiculously nimble on tight turns. Alas, there appears to be concern about center of gravity with regard to rollovers, but I'm hoping the wider track on the 453 meets the criteria for SCCA Solo events. I'm ready to invest in some new wheels and rubber. Perhaps a wider wheel or reduced positive offset version would improve its SSF (Static Stability Factor).

Otherwise, this thing is a hoot! Go-kart performance delivered!
Smart Bob likes this.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
When you take it in for gas tank service complain about the transmission rough downshifts. There is a software update for that. I haven’t bothered with my gas gauge reading less than actually left in the tank. It always reads full when filled but, like yours, will indicate only minimal left when there is at least another gallon in the tank. I just consider this an additional safety margin to reduce chances of running out of gas.
Smart Bob likes this.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Shifers = Sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwight View Post
As far as I know, any Passion could have been ordered with the Sport Package, exactly like the Edition 1 wheels, tires and suspension bits, plus the paddle shifters.

Are the paddle shifters only available as part of the Sport package? I've had other vehicles with shifters and really enjoyed the experience, but I'm not certain I want to buy into the Sport package if it affects the ride as some posts suggest. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode