What do you think about this carbon fiber steering wheel?? - Page 2 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
So today, I got some update photos from the factory and my new steering wheel will be on his way to daddy tomorrow!

My attachment space has been used up, anyone know how to upload more pictures or another way to share photos?

Last edited by oscarlqw; 09-25-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarlqw View Post
So today, I got some update photos from the factory and my new steering wheel will be on his way to daddy tomorrow!

[iurl="https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34441&d=1506350412"][/iurl]

[iurl="https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34449&d=1506350412"][/iurl]

[iurl="https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34457&d=1506350412"][/iurl]

My attachment space has been used up, anyone know how to upload more pictures or another way to share photos?
Great news ! Hope is makes its travels back in perfect shape and you can post up some eye candy photos .
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Looks nice.... but personally, i'd have left the silver plastic on the steering wheel as it was. Was a good contrast to the top and bottom carbon as well as the side leather bits. That much carbon fiber just looks a little tacky to me.

Congrats, though. And how much exactly DID it cost for the whole kit-n-kaboodle to get it done and the shipping there and back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalDragon View Post
how much exactly DID it cost for the whole kit-n-kaboodle to get it done and the shipping there and back?
Thanks and well, not cheap at all:

Flat top and bottom carbon fiber steering wheel ~$499 (after currency conversion)

Two dash panel ~$121 (after currency conversion)

3-day UPS shipping to China (I could have chosen a much cheaper carrier like USPS or longer shipping time ways but I was in a hurry and did not want my brand new car sitting in the shop and collecting dust.. I have only driven it for a week and less than 200 miles since I got it) $560

Additional duty collected by Chinese custom (I was stupid enough to report that the value of the good I was shipping worth more than $500 and according to Chinese custom, that value was high enough to pay for VAT) ~$165 (after currency conversion)

Fedex Shipping to US ~$ 252 (after currency conversion)

Removal and installation $ 350

To sum up: $ ~1947

Last edited by oscarlqw; 10-10-2017 at 10:08 AM.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 10:04 AM

Ouch. Yea... think i'll just stick to one day maybe taking those gray dash back pieces off and painting them or getting them carbon wrapped or something. MUCH cheaper. lol
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ouch. Yea... think i'll just stick to one day maybe taking those gray dash back pieces off and painting them or getting them carbon wrapped or something. MUCH cheaper. lol
I chose the fastest and most expensive shipping method to save times..

But I figured since my matte colored convertible Brabus is already rare enough and it deserves this unique (costly too) treatment. I think the steering wheel is the part of the car where you touch almost 100% of the time in the car (maybe that's not true for Tesla owners lol), I want it to look nice
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarlqw View Post
I chose the fastest and most expensive shipping method to save times..

But I figured since my matte colored convertible Brabus is already rare enough and it deserves this unique (costly too) treatment. I think the steering wheel is the part of the car where you touch almost 100% of the time in the car (maybe that's not true for Tesla owners lol), I want it to look nice
Any pointers you might be able to give for getting the two panels behind the steering wheel/head unit off? I know you have to remove the head unit and unscrew the holder for it from the dash...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Any pointers you might be able to give for getting the two panels behind the steering wheel/head unit off?
I took a lot of stuff before I was able to remove the panel.

It's not hard, just snap them out after you remove the media unit holder.
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 12:04 AM

@oscarlqw Ooh... that's another good question. How is the instrument cluster held into place? Assuming it's held on with screws that are behind the two plastic panels?

and as far as snapping them out... In what way do you recommend doing so? I've got some plastic trim pry tools that came with a set of interior LED's that i could use... but i don't want to risk doing something the wrong (or stupid) way and end up damaging the fabric on the dash. I briefly tried tugging on the one to the left of the steering wheel... but there was nowhere to grip to try to pull it free, and can't get to it through the side of the dashboard after removing that small panel. Assuming it has to be freed from the left side as some part of it might be tucked behind the instrument cluster?
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
@oscarlqw Ooh... that's another good question. How is the instrument cluster held into place? Assuming it's held on with screws that are behind the two plastic panels?

and as far as snapping them out... In what way do you recommend doing so? I've got some plastic trim pry tools that came with a set of interior LED's that i could use... but i don't want to risk doing something the wrong (or stupid) way and end up damaging the fabric on the dash. I briefly tried tugging on the one to the left of the steering wheel... but there was nowhere to grip to try to pull it free, and can't get to it through the side of the dashboard after removing that small panel. Assuming it has to be freed from the left side as some part of it might be tucked behind the instrument cluster?
Yes, there were a few screws keeping instrument cluster in place.

I removed steering wheel, steering wheel column cover, instrument cluster and of course media unit before started removing the dash panels (as you can see from the picture). I understand that for you, you don't have to remove the steering wheel. But after all of above parts were removed, you would get much more space to work around, and for my case, I could actually insert a pen light to the back of the panel to sort of seeing where the hidden clips were.

The carbon fiber pieces will be installed today and I will post photo of it right after!!
Smart Bob likes this.

Tags
453 , carbon fiber , steering wheel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode