LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 06:32 PM
10Year+ Supporting Member
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Garage
There are many photos of that wide body 453 on Instagram if you care to look under #smartcar .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComebackKid View Post
If you can get your ecu tuned, please let us know! I'm very interested in getting mine tuned and would love to know if he is interested in tuning others!
He doesn't mind tuning others. The problems that I am having are that you have to let you car sit in your garage or a shop for a good three weeks or even four weeks depending on the logistic time when you ship your ECU to him. Not to mention the international shipping is quite expensive and you may have to pay additional duty like I encountered when I shipped my steering wheel two weeks ago. He charges around $1,000 (after currency conversion) for the tune.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarlqw View Post
Quote:
If you can get your ecu tuned, please let us know! I'm very interested in getting mine tuned and would love to know if he is interested in tuning others!
He doesn't mind tuning others. The problems that I am having are that you have to let you car sit in your garage or a shop for a good three weeks or even four weeks depending on the logistic time when you ship your ECU to him. Not to mention the international shipping is quite expensive and you may have to pay additional duty like I encountered when I shipped my steering wheel two weeks ago. He charges around $1,000 (after currency conversion) for the tune.
1000 for a tune seems quite high. Not to mention shipping costs. I'm out on that note. I'll probably end up getting a piggyback from sm at some point instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
1000 for a tune seems quite high. Not to mention shipping costs. I'm out on that note. I'll probably end up getting a piggyback from sm at some point instead.
I'm on the same page with you. If there were anyway to eliminate the shipping, maybe I will reconsider it.

I heard that piggyback from SM cost overheating issue and not very reliable from time to time, plus my car is still within its break-in period, so even if I want to get an ECU upgrade, it will be a while. If you are getting that piggyback tune, please share your thought afterwards!
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I'm on the same page with you. If there were anyway to eliminate the shipping, maybe I will reconsider it.

I heard that piggyback from SM cost overheating issue and not very reliable from time to time, plus my car is still within its break-in period, so even if I want to get an ECU upgrade, it will be a while. If you are getting that piggyback tune, please share your thought afterwards!
I have been looking for information just like the stuff you just provided. I have only seen a handle of reviews on the sm piggyback which is why I have been hesitant to purchase it. Do you have any more info on the overheating and reliability issues? Is this is a common issue? I'm really curious because I really am on the fence about sm. Especially since (as far as I know) they don't produce any hard numbers on total bhp and torque increase. Instead they try to sell you on how awesome the car feels after the install. That's good and all but might just be mostly a placebo effect. Who knows. I haven't been willing to drop 600 on the unit because I've been wanting more info.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Do you have any more info on the overheating and reliability issues? Is this is a common issue? I'm really curious because I really am on the fence about sm. Especially since (as far as I know) they don't produce any hard numbers on total bhp and torque increase. Instead they try to sell you on how awesome the car feels after the install.
No, I don't. I was trying to get more information when I went to their shop in Singal Hill, CA, they had a demo 453 with Lorsiner body kit, Lorsiner exhaust, air scoop, blow off plate and some other products they sell in their store installed, but no ecu module. I was curious about the reason behind it, but they never gave me the explanation. I also asked about the actual numbers, but they only said the percentage wise improvement.

I mean, it's true that our car has a 0.9T with only 3 cylinders in it, the bhp and torque will never be anywhere close to a 500+hp AMG or Brabus. But for end customers, they should release some actual numbers like Brabus or other tuning company did.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Do you have any more info on the overheating and reliability issues? Is this is a common issue? I'm really curious because I really am on the fence about sm. Especially since (as far as I know) they don't produce any hard numbers on total bhp and torque increase. Instead they try to sell you on how awesome the car feels after the install.
No, I don't. I was trying to get more information when I went to their shop in Singal Hill, CA, they had a demo 453 with Lorsiner body kit, Lorsiner exhaust, air scoop, blow off plate and some other products they sell in their store installed, but no ecu module. I was curious about the reason behind it, but they never gave me the explanation. I also asked about the actual numbers, but they only said the percentage wise improvement.

I mean, it's true that our car has a 0.9T with only 3 cylinders in it, the bhp and torque will never be anywhere close to a 500+hp AMG or Brabus. But for end customers, they should release some actual numbers like Brabus or other tuning company did.
Completely agree. I know my car will prob never even get close 150 bhp. Still at 500-600 dollars per unit, they really should slap one on their cars, take it to a dyno, and give the customers some empirical data to look at. Every car company, and most tuning companies, give you hard numbers to look at. It's kind of the industry standard. Even the lorinser model tuner they sell offers specific numbers. I also find it suspicious that they didn't have it installed on one of their demo cars. They put everything else on them for show, why not that?
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Not a 453 but cool nonetheless
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16651BAF-63B9-42BC-9295-9EE98D6BE1D5.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	616.3 KB
ID:	34465  
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferragamo4me View Post
Not a 453 but cool nonetheless
Miss Mercedes likes this.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 01:31 PM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,643 Posts
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
You know, that's one of the things I love most about smarts. They are what you want them to be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kbxdd3claayjkilejk1c.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	450.0 KB
ID:	34473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170707_175438.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	481.8 KB
ID:	34481  
davidp and oscarlqw like this.

Tags
453 , custom , wide body kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode