Smart Car Forums

Smart Car Forums (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/)
-   Deals & steals (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f216/)
-   -   smart ED parts for sale (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f216/smart-ed-parts-sale-89890/)

WhiteNBlack08 01-28-2015 07:03 PM

smart ED parts for sale

I was cruising ebay today, searching for smart parts in general, and came across this seller. He claims to be parting out 100 smarts. From the pictures, they appear to all be car to go ED's. really kind of sad. He claims all of them have less than 12000 miles on them...

Why would smart be parting out a whole fleet of ED's?

Smart Car Fortwo Passion Pure Complete Set of White Body Panels Entire Car | eBay

jwight 01-28-2015 07:12 PM

Lots of parts. Some of the prices seem a little high for used items but less than M-B prices for new items. :)

WhiteNBlack08 01-28-2015 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwight (Post 1035154)
Lots of parts. Some of the prices seem a little high for used items but less than M-B prices for new items. :)

I agree. Some of his prices aren't bad, like $399 for a complete set of white panels, but some are crazy. $205 for a set of LED driving lights? $100 for a front hub/spindle? You can buy a brand new bearing/hub for $125... As with anything used. Buyer beware...

SmartElectric 01-28-2015 08:34 PM

The car in the picture looks like a non-ED.
Wondering what Smart is doing with all those 17kWh battery packs if the car is being parted out?

svaraman 01-29-2015 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteNBlack08 (Post 1035138)

Smart Car Fortwo Passion Pure Complete Set of White Body Panels Entire Car | eBay

Autobahn has been advertising these cars on the local Craigslist for several months. I bought a set of steel wheels from them for my snow tires. At that time they were only parting out 10 smarties. I was told that they were all ICE cars.

Now I wish I had waited...I bet I could have gotten a set of steel wheels for half of what I paid. I also would have liked a set of tires with just 12K miles on them!

svaraman 01-29-2015 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartElectric (Post 1035266)
The car in the picture looks like a non-ED.

One of the photos shows an ED...it says "Electric Drive" on the back, but it is missing the huge ED decal on the tridion cell. It probably came off when they took the Car2Go wrap off.

SkippyThorson 01-30-2015 11:14 AM

What I can't tell, is are those panels matte white or glossy white? Although I just went through the pain of swapping out skirts for the Pulse conversion, that price is just so tempting.

Even if I just keep them and swap my car to white in the Fall and back in the Spring, or even if I just keep the panels for future damage since my blue would require painting anyway...

Hmm... Big boy toys to buy...

I sprung for the set of left and right marker lenses for $30 because I noticed that the little clips holding them in (on mine) are cracking, so they sit kind of loose. I could also use new gaskets around the bulbs, but that's a different story. Moisture from car washes sneaks in there sometimes...

MB DNA 01-30-2015 12:41 PM

90 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteNBlack08 (Post 1035138)
He claims to be parting out 100 smarts. From the pictures, they appear to all be car to go ED's. really kind of sad. He claims all of them have less than 12000 miles on them...

SWAG 1 - the low mileage ED's may be earlier generations that were part of the evolution to the current 451 ED model?

If M-B pulls the battery pack and black lists the VIN, not much choice but to buy low and part the sled out to fleaBay?

SWAG 2 - car2go smart rentals, RODE HARD AND PUT AWAY WET!

M-B may not want these back in the mainstream after they have been "used up" and may even brand the VIN such that they cannot be put back in service?

After all, they are likely fully depreciated and/or M-B has written them off . . . :shrug:

Note, appear to be California cars?

Brabus 03-03-2015 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteNBlack08 (Post 1035210)
I agree. Some of his prices aren't bad, like $399 for a complete set of white panels, but some are crazy. $205 for a set of LED driving lights? $100 for a front hub/spindle? You can buy a brand new bearing/hub for $125... As with anything used. Buyer beware...

That price for the led lights seems good to me considering OEM prices on these led driving lights. Will it fit my 2009 Brabus? Or is it for a newer version. looks like it will

Smart Car Fortwo Brabus Daytime Running Lights Fog Lights Ballasts* | eBay

evotechnik 03-03-2015 03:58 PM

I actually went to San Diego to pick up some parts... he actually is parting out 400 Smart ED's all of which were from Car2Go. They have tons and tons of smart parts. The body Panals all have small scratches but its a steal if you plan on painting the whole thing.