19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,008 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
2018...ten years of memories...post yours

...as 2018 nears the voices in my head reminds me of the good and bad things that happened to us since we "voluntarily" checked in the asylum....so many things...the one that tops the list is the many friends we have made and grown to love...so many of you guys...
...one voice in particular keeps reminding me of a event that happened going up the Foothills Parkway in one of the many Dragon Runs...
...as we stop for a scenic photo op I decided to let MB DNA drive our car so he could see and feel the effects of a Barney Motor Sports hair dryer...no much was said as to how to...just keep it in 3rd gear...at the next stop...the very top of the parkway we exchanged cars and opinions...as I got in my car and closed the door I found an empty cup of a hot beverage...opened the door and walked back to his car and handed him his left over with "I let you drive my car for 10 minutes and you just trash it".... the look on his face and the laugh from his wife until this day are vivid in my head and is what made me write this thread up...
...I know that after ten years you guys have some stories to tell....post it...

Jetfuel....luvU Tom...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jetfuel For This Useful Post:
jwight (12-31-2017), Miss Mercedes (01-04-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Driving my new lease Smart back home at night.

I drove home, six hours at night not knowing how to turn on the headlights. That meant no rear lights, I found out at a later point when an attendant ran across six lanes of incoming cars at a toll booth.

Oh', the interior dash lights were up to high position. It was a nice drive after that.

I thought NYC got worse since the last time I was there.

Turned out after screeching brakes from the rear and quick lane changes they were trying to communicate by hand signals of my black hole driving technique.

Happy New Year !
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
2008 is the year I bought my first Smart Fortwo. It was a Pure. Now I have a Passion. I have been driving a Smart for almost 10 years. I have enjoyed it every year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,938 Times in 1,321 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Garage
Been a long ride... 2008 I picked up a Pure off Ebay, previous owner purchased 2 cars and then lost his job Car had 23 miles on it and still had the plastic on the seats. After putting 17,000 miles on it, the wiring caught fire and smart replaced the car with a 2009 pure, identical to what I had. jump ahead 165,000 miles and car started to exhibit a miss which ended up as a burned valve. Car was sold and I purchased another 2008 Passion with a few problems. Been driving it ever since.

My original 2008 Pure was reported to now be in a warehouse in Germany so MB could find out why it caught on fire.

What a long strange trip it"s been...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 02:37 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,423 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvw57 View Post
My original 2008 Pure was reported to now be in a warehouse in Germany so MB could find out why it caught on fire.
I know that MB works in slow, mysterious ways but here's hoping that it doesn't take them 9 years to do their CSI on a toasted MY08 451?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,938 Times in 1,321 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Garage
I heard about it being in Germany about 2 years after it caught on fire. I was told by someone from smart at the Kansas city national event. They determined it was a cold solder joint in the SAM unit

Last edited by jimvw57; 01-01-2018 at 07:03 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
The 1st time I saw a Smart was on a tv commercial with 2 Japanese guys driving around and at the end of the commercial, they asked a question, 'Do you Wii?' I told my wife at that time I wanted one of them cars. Later on I was talking to a co-worker one day about the Smart (and at that time I still knew nothing about them), and how I wanted one but was unsure of how fast they went, I didn't want something that only went like '60' mph, he told me he was on Interstate 95 going about 70 and a Smart car passed him heading to Florida, could of been one of you guys heading that way, well I got more serious about it and finally bought one, it was billed as a red color but sure looked like orange to me, so far I've had 3 Smarts, my latest being a -09 Brabus model Cabrio and just love driving her.
Smart Bob likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
I’m not one of the ‘08 adopters but I started reading about the proposed “City Car” years before the 1st gen 1998 was produced. If the 1st gen had been available in the U.S. from the start I would have had one. Because of retirement and moving and other commitments I didn’t get one until 2013 on a lease, knowing that there would be a new gen in a couple years. Almost three years later I bought my 2016 453 Passion and now I am 5 happy years into smart ownership. An ED smart probably won’t be in my future unless they are able to give at least 125 miles on a charge.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 07:49 AM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
I remember the winter of 07-08 snow birding in Fl and receiving the call from Smart Center Lynfield that Max, our 08 Cabroi) had reached the docks and should be in Boston later that month. Since we were recently retired my wife and I did a little soul searching… Buy another new car on our pensions (at the time we owned 4 others all but one convertibles). But at the time people were buying used ones or orphans for much more than sticker. So, we figured pay for him and turn a profit if we didn’t like him.

Well in early April we got the call Max was in Lynfield come on down….oh and bring the balance with you. My wife had something else to do so I jumped on a train from Maine and headed to Boston where I as met with a driver from the dealership at the train station in Boston for the ride to Lynfield.

A couple of hours later and Max was mine. The looks from others on I -95 and the Maine turnpike that cool day in April with the top down of course was priceless. He remained a member of the family until a couple of months ago when he was replaced by a 14 BoConcept Cabrrio. Love the 451’s but not so much love for the mother ship.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
My decade of smarts was a futile attempt to console my broken heart after my beloved 1957 Isetta was stolen.

https://youtu.be/7EsBrNcKQlk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode