1Likes
  • 1 Post By OliverB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Opposed cylinder engine?

I think this opposed cylinder engine is cool. I wonder if it could fit into a Smart Fortwo? or the Forfour? (probably won't be used that way since Smart seems intent on going all electric but it is neat to think it could?).
Achates Power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
This thing has been floating around for years. The idea is not new, either. Fairbanks-Morse has built opposed-piston engines for years. The Commer TS3 aka the Commer Knocker was in production for commercial vehicles in the 1960s. None of the prior attempts have set the world on fire, and I see no reason why this one would be any different.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
The smallest engine Achates makes is a 2.7l and it barely fits in an F-150. It is interesting tech though. I could see many manufacturers adopting similar tech along with variable compression that Mazda is releasing next year. If you couple all this to a camless engine like Koenigsig is developing, you may have a big winner in the efficiency race. ICE isn't dead yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I've posted this before, forgive me.

I thought the vid was going to be a two cylinder horizontally opposed engine with both cylinders firing at the same time, just like the Honda I owned in the late, late '60's to 1976.

I should have kept and gotten it fixed rather than trading it for a 1976 cab yellow Chevette.

My first indication on that subject was five days later when it rained overnight and the passenger side was filled with water.

The dealer told me someone had forgotten to weld a seam under the dash and front right quarter panel.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 04:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfcack View Post
?.... I should have kept and gotten it fixed rather than trading it for a 1976 cab yellow Chevette.

My first indication on that subject was five days later when it rained overnight and the passenger side was filled with water.

The dealer told me someone had forgotten to weld a seam under the dash and front right quarter panel.
I never owned a Chevette - on purpose. Closest I came was those my wife had to drive when working for our then State Govt. They had been around for a while when she was assigned to them and both eventually self-destructed. The Chevette was an old design before it even appeared in the U.S. and not a very good one at that! Saw my first diesel Chevette about a year ago. No question it was a diesel - from a loooong distance away. 🙉
halfcack likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to OliverB For This Useful Post:
halfcack (03-23-2018)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 05:39 AM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverB View Post
Saw my first diesel Chevette about a year ago. No question it was a diesel - from a loooong distance away. 🙉
Well the fact you saw one still running is enough to question what the drive train was.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Excellent decision. It’s my number two ahead of the Yugo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode