172Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Angry Good Ol Boys Club?

I just a bought a brand new Smartcar BoConcept edition last week and found out there was a gathering in Amana, IA for this weekend. Super excited about my new car, I thought it may be cool to check out the scene, see some other cars, and chat with some other owners...

...While I must say that most of the people were friendly, nice, and courteous, and I met some really great people at the rally, like really great! My experience at the rally was less than pleasing because of the hosts treatment...

...When I arrived at the meeting spot day 1, I was treated poorly by the hosts due to the fact I did not "pre register" for the rally. This was a bit shocking to me. It was the tone and the way things were said that really got to me. I was abruptly told I am not able to receive a gift bag(when there were plenty), or a sticker (again plenty to go around), but was asked to give $20 for a dinner that I was not planning to attend...Ok so no gift bag, big deal, but again it was very off putting the way I was dismissed without even asking..

Was it was because I'm the new guy? Or was it because my car isin't cool enough? Do they not like me because I am a bit younger? 2 minutes into my first experience this is what I am wondering...

...On Saturday we all went for cool cruise around the Amana compounds, Stopped at the park and I tried to chat with your so called leader, in my profession I lead public events and I was going talk shop, but was again dismissed. A raffle was held, but I was told (quite rudely again) that I couldn't participate for the same reasons of not pre-registering...This time I did ask, maybe that was my mistake? Again it was the overall tone, or lack of respect that causes me to wonder, stir, and eventually write this useless post which should prove how strongly I feel just by its existence.

...If I need Smart merch or gifts from the amana area I can go get that stuff...it would've been great to feel like a welcome participant, or even treated with respect...that you can't buy....
...It felt a bit like a good ol boys club, and since I was new, I was not privy to the same treatment as everyone else...

...As a professional, I am a consultant and public events coordinator, so maybe I am a bit biased here as I expect high quality events. There is a level of respect and courtesy that should be given to everyone, with an emphasis on newcomers to bring life into any group situation. All I'm sure of is that I won't be attending any SmartCar gatherings led by these guys any time soon. It would have been very easy to make me feel welcome, but the host chose to act like an utter ******* instead. And that's just too bad. Utterly Disapointing. Its funny how one or two people can make you feel unwelcome even amidst 98 other new friends.

Total bummer, man.
Good luck to the rest of you guys.

Last edited by smartjohnny; 06-07-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Hi smartjohnny, welcome to SCOA and congratulations on the new BoConcept. I saw the one at smart center Madison last Tuesday. Nice looking ride.

As the "host" of this event, I want to apologize for the "treatment" you received from me.

I was the one and only organizer of this event. I didn't ask for help from anyone. I organized this all by myself. I paid for everything except for the dinner on Friday and the picnic food. No registration fee. No cost to you or anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartjohnny View Post
I am not able to receive a gift bag(when there were plenty), or a sticker (again plenty to go around), but was asked to give $20 for a dinner that I was not planning to attend
Your statements I quoted above are not true.

I purchased exactly 50 gift bags for the 50 cars that registered by midnight Thursday. There were no extras. That is why you didn't get a bag. I am sorry I didn't explain that to you.

dgruis donated exactly 50 stickers for the 50 cars that registered by midnight Thursday. There were no extras. That is why you didn't get a sticker. I am sorry I didn't explain that to you.

You were asked if you going to eat dinner and if so, you would pay $20. I collected the money from everyone and paid the bill so 86 people didn't have to wait in line to pay individually. You chose not to join us. You were not asked to pay for something you didn't want.

You attended the picnic at a shelter that "your so called leader" paid for and listened to a band "your so called leader" paid for. "Your so called leader" stayed up until 1:30am Friday making 92 name badges for those persons that registered by midnight Thursday. Each name badge "your so called leader" paid for had a number on the back for the prize drawing. "Your so called leader" went to several shops in Amana earlier this week and asked them to donate items. "Your so called leader" donated a $25 gift card and a rubber floor mat set. It was not a raffle where you must buy a chance to win. It was a prize giveaway and "your so called leader" made the rules. If you want to give away free stuff, you should be able to make the rules. That is why you could not participate in the "raffle."

I failed to meet your expectations of a "high quality" event and I am sorry you felt a "lack of respect." This is not a "good ol boys club" and we are not "snobs." I am sorry you felt "dismissed" when you tried to talk to me and I am sorry I made you "feel unwelcome." You are always welcome to any SCOA event.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GOT_MPG For This Useful Post:
halrob (06-08-2014), jkjahobbs (06-08-2014), Miss Mercedes (06-08-2014), PDXsmart (06-08-2014), SkippyThorson (06-09-2014)
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 11:55 PM

Thanked 1,234 Times in 879 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Smartjohnny, their are a lot of nice folks that attend the smart events. There aren't any smart snobs. It's really too bad that a few more goody bags, and event stickers weren't available. We were giving away them, at a National smart event we hosted. You never know about walk in's, when your plan something. I could see a issue if you were receiving a t-shirt.

Try again, and preregister next time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,968 Times in 1,349 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Garage
sorry you got that opinion, we are far from that. There is not enough space here to go into details about your post. I would like to sit down with you and hear details and have a discussion. Perhaps knowing some of the history of the early years of this event would help
klesmiley likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimvw57 For This Useful Post:
jkjahobbs (06-08-2014)
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 05:47 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,442 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartjohnny View Post
...As a professional, I am a consultant and public events coordinator, so maybe I am a bit biased here as I expect high quality events.
johnny, as a new owner welcome to SCoA!

Sorry that your first smart event apparently didn't meet your expectations. Sometimes hard to meet your "high quality" expectations when smart events are small with an emphasis on location, cool smarts and GREAT friends.

Most smart events are driven by volunteers with no real sponsor support. They spend countless hours and often their own money to prepare for a pre-registered (with deadlines) head count.

In this case the "host" organized and except for the picnic/dinner, should be thanked for covering ALL costs for 50 participants!

As a "professional consultant/event coordinator" you should recognize a FREE event with no M-B, smart or local smart Center sponsorship?

"Good ol boys club" really?

Before you throw the whole community under the smart understand that the "graying" smart owners don't care that you may be "a bit younger."

All are welcome, if there are two smarts in the parking lot, a party is about to break out.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MB DNA For This Useful Post:
BB Benz (06-08-2014), GOT_MPG (06-08-2014), Miss Mercedes (06-08-2014)
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Don't get get your underwear in a knot , Guys. The OP has 1 (single)(uno) post just to complain????
chieftmc likes this.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 1208 Post(s)
People can be such funny animals. We're stuck with these effing human minds that hopelessly try to interpret everything, and sometimes fail miserably!

Welcome to the club, Johnny. How about a fresh start? Don't let your first post be your last, especially with a smart as cool as the BoConcept.

To those who give their personal time and money to foster our smart culture and cause, many thanks always!
jkjahobbs, klesmiley and PDXsmart like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevenvillatoro For This Useful Post:
GOT_MPG (06-08-2014), jkjahobbs (06-08-2014)
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 10:51 AM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,648 Posts
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Garage
Really? I thought you were having fun! I loved your BoConcept, definitely unexpected and extremely rare!

I went through several RV "breakdowns", a fried R/C car (circuit board caught fire), lost an important rechargeable battery, blew a fuse (and the LED that killed it), and fried a $70 gaming controller (by fire as well)...yet I still had a blast.

In fact, I'm still here in Amana as I type!

These events are almost all 100% supported by a volunteer organizer. Some random human who went out of their way to plan a weekend of fun for 50 cars and almost 100 people.

Granted, sure he could've obtained some extra goodie bags, but then again Amana isn't exactly what I'd call a bustling metropolis (even Cedar Rapids is quiet) and the registration was intended to help the host manage costs.

Usually when you don't register for things, you don't get the perks of registering. This is true with most things in life.

I'm most likely the youngest bloke in this group, yet I'm treated like I'm part of everyone's family.

Sad your first rally was a bust, these things are truly a blast!

We even had two cars from the great north!
jkjahobbs and klesmiley like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miss Mercedes For This Useful Post:
BB Benz (06-08-2014), GOT_MPG (06-08-2014)
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1208 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonspinnazz View Post
I'm most likely the youngest bloke in this group...

Yet old enough to feel comfortable using the word "bloke."

The Following User Says Thank You to stevenvillatoro For This Useful Post:
Miss Mercedes (06-08-2014)
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Quite the bit of entitlement from the OP to show up to an event unannounced and then expect free stuff.

Then to have the gall to go online and complain.... only one a-hole that I see and it is certainly not the organizer of the event.
The Following User Says Thank You to Huronlad For This Useful Post:
Miss Mercedes (06-08-2014)
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode