He's not mine
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,626 Times in 995 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Garage
1,000 mile shakedown cruise

I just completed a three day, 1,045 mile trip ... average 348 miles per day.
That's 175% of my planned daily tally for my eagerly anticipated journey this fall. So, I am confident I will be happy with the 200 mile per day schedule.

It was good to see the Suncoast Smart Club! I didn't actually get to talk with everyone there, but it was a fun gathering anyway.

The trip was a shakedown cruise for some new installs: Area 451 cruise control, John H's indicator LED, Visiontac VGPS-900 GPS Data Logger, and Kenwood 8120 with camera.

John, after you helped de-bug the installation your LED works flawlessly. I LOVE the blue and don't know why more people don't choose it. Great job!

The Area 451 also works ALMOST flawlessly. I'm getting used to setting it without accidently activating the windshield washer. But, there was some rain on the return trip and that's when I discovered something very peculiar! Whenever the windshield wipers turn on (manually or automatic) the CC is instantly TURNED OFF! I repeated multiple times to be sure of the coorelation. It's a bltch to be unable to use the CC when it's raining. Anybody have a clue what the problem is?

Kenwood 8120: After driving for 5 or 6 hours, the voice guidance developed problems with LONG instructions such as, "in 0.4 miles turn left on David Smith Blvd and then turn left". The voice became garbled and almost unintelligible. Also, there were several times when I deviated from the Nav unit's planned route. After 'recalculating' and attempting to get me back on track, it advised me to turn on non-existant roads. Or, just as bad, roads which clearly were unfit for anything other than an ATV.

I'm glad I'd tested the Visiontac VGPS-900 GPS Data Logger before this trip and found it to fill my needs completely. However, I will now have to purchase another one. When leaving the hotel, I distinctly recall placing the unit on the roof of my car, before getting in it and driving away!!! :eek: I realized my mistake less than a half mile down the road, pulled over and spent the next 30 minutes searching for it, in vain.

Gawd, my car needs a bath!

Last edited by NCC1701; 04-20-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
Glad to hear the trip was overall good. I don't know the Area 451 specs, but I do know its is not recommended to use a cruise control in bad weather. (ex. rain, snow, ice...)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
He's not mine
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferios View Post
Glad to hear the trip was overall good. I don't know the Area 451 specs, but I do know its is not recommended to use a cruise control in bad weather. (ex. rain, snow, ice...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by from the manual
The cruise will immediately turn off if:
The speed falls below 15 mph (25 kph)
the car is shifted into reverse or neutral
a door opens
a brake is engaged
the traction control system is activated
No mention of windshield wipers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,929 Times in 1,005 Posts
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I thought I read before about auto wipers and cruise having a conflict....can't remember where - but it was on this site. Not sure if it was a safety thing....

I like the green for my cruise LED.....not sure why.

Your data logger.....try this on for size. I drove for about 3 miles once with my wallet on my roof of my Smart!!! Had it out to gas up and set it up there and forgot about it.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 08:21 PM

Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,012 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
...nice to hear your trip was "almost" a success...sorry about your data logger
...thanks for the link...
...BTW...this memory pills can be purchased in bulk...

Only Natural Smart Pill

jetfuel
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
He's not mine
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bum-bling-B View Post
I thought I read before about auto wipers and cruise having a conflict....can't remember where - but it was on this site. Not sure if it was a safety thing....
I hope there is a solution. The cruise controls on my previous cars didn't shut down when the wipers were used.
Quote:
I like the green for my cruise LED.....not sure why.
I'm among the 10% of human males with a color deficiency. Blue is my red, very vivid ... while red is bland, and green not much better. I suppose that's why blue is my favorite color.
Quote:
Your data logger.....try this on for size. I drove for about 3 miles once with my wallet on my roof of my Smart!!! Had it out to gas up and set it up there and forgot about it.
You didn't say whether or not it was still on the roof after three miles. I reckon not, huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel View Post
...nice to hear your trip was "almost" a success...sorry about your data logger
I would call it a successful trip. Had a great time for the most part, and found some quirks in the equipment. I hope to find solutions.
Quote:
...BTW...this memory pills can be purchased in bulk...
Yeah, yeah ... gimme two!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 09:26 PM
Closed

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NCC - I've had my area 451 since September and since then there has been an awful lot of rain fall on my smart. The auto wipers work with the cc all the time. I mean the cc has never shut off when the wipers engage.

I think your issue is unique. Check with Steven.

Anyway, good trip report. I think I'll do about 400 a day when I go to the mid-west rally and maybe less on the way back.

Last edited by Suze; 04-20-2009 at 09:29 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC1701 View Post
The Area 451 also works ALMOST flawlessly. I'm getting used to setting it without accidently activating the windshield washer. But, there was some rain on the return trip and that's when I discovered something very peculiar! Whenever the windshield wipers turn on (manually or automatic) the CC is instantly TURNED OFF! I repeated multiple times to be sure of the coorelation. It's a bltch to be unable to use the CC when it's raining. Anybody have a clue what the problem is?
Check this post - Recall notice re: windshield wiper conflict with cruise control (RECALL #1) - on the area451 website. A very few of the controls produced in early February think the windshield wipers are a door if the wipers have a specific Delphi wiper component. It seems to be affecting about 8% of the area451 units.

The detective work in figuring out the problem is fascinating. There are several threads that make great reading on the website! - sheureka
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 07:19 AM
Lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,929 Times in 1,005 Posts
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
GREAT JOB sheureka!!

I knew it was there somewhere.

NCC - I got it off the roof after 3 miles. Got lucky, real lucky.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC1701 View Post

There's a thread in the Area451 Forums about a few of their cruise controls having that issue. Steve's on the case, trying to figure out the issue. I see Sheureka has already sent you the recall URL.

Last edited by The Rigger; 04-21-2009 at 07:34 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode