User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
$100 oil change??

Yesterday I called the smart dealer in Utah to ask about the price of an oil change. The sales person told me that the oil change was $100. I ask her why it was so expensive. Her response was that they had to drop the engine to do the oil change!

Now I have to ask the forum if that sounds right. I can't imagine that they have to drop the engine to do an oil change.

Please, anyone, what does an oil change cost for the smart and do they have to drop the engine?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 02:24 PM

Takes 15 minutes.

Everything is easy to get at, including the filter. I did it with the car on the ground and had no issues.

-Dan
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 02:25 PM

NO...there is a DIY post on oil change here. I bought two oil filters at the dealership on the day of pick-up and confirmed I did not have to bring it back to the dealer for the oil change....but DID need to use the Smart approved filter and washer. Smart of Pittsburgh has a fair price for both, got two each for about $30. I will change myself with the Mobil1 as they advise until warrenty time is over....and document each change with a log.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Ex Admin/mod.
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,456 Times in 939 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van View Post
NO...there is a DIY post on oil change here.
https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...ghlight=monkey
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 02:55 PM

tiny smart

I personally do not have a problem with folks like you that get told ridiculous stuff if you were to post the idiots name and dealer

I sincerely hope this was just some numb-skull on the phone who really does not have a clue...but I suspect these scams are more normal then folks report...

BTW many here are quoted around $80 for a dealer oil change using the dramatically inflated dealers price for the filter and 3.5 quarts of full synthetic oil plus the cost of a 0.5 shop hour (some shops will not split hours and charge a full hour for even a 10 min job...grrrr)

This is why many of us will be doing our own as it truly is a very easy 15 min job, no special tools, and the filter and fluid can be found for under $25 total

BTW #2 my local Ford dealer will meet any quick lube / jiffy lube etc.. oil change offer (even news paper coupons) for any brand car and offers most of the national brand oil and filters
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 03:03 PM

Garage
Buy the filter and then get the oil at Walmart and do it your self takes 15 minutes and very little skill.
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny smart View Post
The sales person told me that the oil change was $100. I ask her why it was so expensive. Her response was that they had to drop the engine to do the oil change!
That's just wrong.

I was at the local Mercedes-Benz dealer (who does not sell smart) the other day, and they had a placard on the service counter that read: Mobil 1 oil change- 9 quarts of Mobil 1 oil, an original Mercedes-Benz oil filter, and labor. $69.95 + tax.

It would cost more to buy an oil filter from smart and 9 quarts of Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart!
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 03:09 PM

Maybe I'm completely ignorant here but what car needs 9 quarts of oil for a simple oil change?

Last edited by Agent 99; 04-24-2008 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 03:13 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I got my oil changed at a Mercedes dealership that does NOT sell smart. I watched them do it. They charged me 25.00 for labor. I brought my own filter and gasket. With the oil it came out to about 50.00 or so.
Drop the engine? WoW.

Meaux
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredvon4 View Post
tiny smart

I personally do not have a problem with folks like you that get told ridiculous stuff if you were to post the idiots name and dealer

I sincerely hope this was just some numb-skull on the phone who really does not have a clue...but I suspect these scams are more normal then folks report...

BTW many here are quoted around $80 for a dealer oil change using the dramatically inflated dealers price for the filter and 3.5 quarts of full synthetic oil plus the cost of a 0.5 shop hour (some shops will not split hours and charge a full hour for even a 10 min job...grrrr)

This is why many of us will be doing our own as it truly is a very easy 15 min job, no special tools, and the filter and fluid can be found for under $25 total

BTW #2 my local Ford dealer will meet any quick lube / jiffy lube etc.. oil change offer (even news paper coupons) for any brand car and offers most of the national brand oil and filters
.................................................. ..........

The sales person was Blair Preble at smart center Lindon, Utah. I talked with her yesterday and received the oil change quote of $100 from her and that the engine had to be dropped.

Looks like Larry H Miller better have a little talk with his sales people up there. I personally always appreciated the sales person saying that they don't know the answer to your question, rather than giving false information because they don't want to appear stupid.

Also thanks for the infomation on DIY for oil changes.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode